PPVI Cheers and Jeers

Joe-× said:
Manticora is an excellent Blind Guardian clone so they are power metal.

Joe

Now I know why you have "The Amazing Fuckhead" under your name.

Granted, the singer sound similar to Hansi, to say they're a clone is just retarded. Manticora's stuff is way heavier than anything Blind Guardian has done since their early days. They're way more 'ballady' these days, whereas Manticora is flat out, kick ass power metal.

So therefore:

Jeer: Joe-x being an amazing fuckhead.

woosta said:
Angra, to me, is just latin-flavored prog and Manticora was Prog-lite. They are pretenders to either throne in their sound but struck me more like Prog in that there was no hook in any of the songs.

I didn't see anything prog about Angra whatsoever. Too much energy to be prog.

And no hook in Manticora?? Try listening to Help Me Like No One Can and Shadows with Tales to Tell. There's plenty hook for ya!

woosta said:
Songs with a continuous beat. Songs with a memorable hook. Songs that have a singable melody line. Angra, to me, is just latin-flavored prog and Manticora was Prog-lite. They are pretenders to either throne in their sound but struck me more like Prog in that there was no hook in any of the songs.

Oh fucking please. Manticora and Angra are prog now? :rolleyes:

YtseJammer said:
Am I the only person here that thinks the Angra mix was great? I mean, at PP III I couldn't hear Rafael's guitar at all...this year I heard everything loud and clear.

Great performance too.

I thought Angra was awesome, and sounded great. The only band I wasn't happy with the mix was CM. Guitarist was too low and the drummers mic was basically non-existent. He even told me when they were shopping later that night durning OL that he's had problems with it so it may not be the mix as far as that's concerned. Angra though sounded perfect to me.

Cheers
- To Glen,the crew, and all the sponsors for all their hard work making it happen every year.
- To getting a chance seeing my extended family and adding new members.
- to the OPP - love ya ladies

DSCF0214.jpg

Jeers
- to how quickly the time goes and not being able to spend more time with friends.
- to only having this event once a year (even though I don't think most of us could survive doing this more than once a year)
- to wicked hangovers

Joe-× said:
Manticora is an excellent Blind Guardian clone so they are power metal.

Circus Maximus is an excellent DT/Symphony X clone so they are prog metal.

Orphaned Land is a clone of no one but they have time and key changes and employ unusual arrangements so they are prog metal.

Conception is extremely well done power metal with space instead of balls-out speed.

Angra is an excellent Helloween clone so they are power metal.

That's my opinions anyway.

Joe

:cool: Why does it matter?? It's either good or it's not. :cool:

Regor said:
Granted, the singer sound similar to Hansi, to say they're a clone is just retarded. Manticora's stuff is way heavier than anything Blind Guardian has done since their early days.
So they are a clone of early Blind Guardian then. That's what I meant. Sorry for not being clear.

Joe

I'd say Savage Circus is a clone of early Blind Guardian. Thomen's new band is a dead ringer for Somewhere Far Beyond.

Manticora has faaaar too many influences, and far too many differences to be considered a BG ripoff or clone. They've got plenty of originality.

And their lead guitarist doesn't have a wah pedal installed in his shoe.

I'd say that Angra is Power Metal, though their superb musicianship and the manner in which they incorporate sounds of their Brazilian heritage, can at times give their music a Proggish feel.

Manticora is straight up Power metal, with a tip of the cap of towards old Blind Guardian. That said, they're hardly a clone. As someone else said, go listen to Savage Circus if you want to know what a BG clone sounds like.

Conception is Prog.

Zod

woosta said:
Songs with a continuous beat. Songs with a memorable hook. Songs that have a singable melody line. Angra, to me, is just latin-flavored prog and Manticora was Prog-lite. They are pretenders to either throne in their sound but struck me more like Prog in that there was no hook in any of the songs.

Manticora and Angra are pure Power Metal...Angra might be Technical, but NOT PROG...prog are band considered to have pure off beats of different time signatures almost all the time...and yeah conception has, anyone doesn't believe? go listen

General Zod said:
I'd say that Angra is Power Metal, though their superb musicianship and the manner in which they incorporate sounds of their Brazilian heritage, can at times give their music a Proggish feel.

Manticora is straight up Power metal, with a tip of the cap of towards old Blind Guardian. That said, they're hardly a clone. As someone else said, go listen to Savage Circus if you want to know what a BG clone sounds like.

Conception is Prog.

Zod

Very well said...that's what i also think many times about Angra

Jibrille said:
A guy behind me got housed because of this small pit that sent about 6 people forward. One overly angry guy is enough to ruin a lot of people's night. And whoever was doing all the shooving needed to chill.

I've been to a show where I was recovering from a surgery. It was about a month after and one guy decided to use me for his "push off" area. First off, I'm a girl and the guy was easily double my size. The first song of one band's set, I'm about 6 rows back and he shoved me all the way to 2nd row about 2 notes into the song. It hurt like hell every time and finally a friend of mine basically told the guy to piss off. Think he ended up getting ejected though because he was way too drunk.

like i said i hate moshing and i never do it...but in your little speech here, it's clear how you're exagerating, since we're talking about progpower right now. and second at progpower there won't ever be something happening like in your little story. If you go to a show that you KNOW there will be a lot of moshing then i think you could have expected some things to happen, than you simply watch for yourself or not go to the front. BUT at progpower where it's unlikely that something like moshing will ever happen, i dont think an explanation like this is valid. but anyway me too i wish for moshing to stop, it's so much better watching the show than constantly watching out for dudes hitting you.

Dr.Caligari said:
Jeers, Metal Rose, what can I say, those Kiss maddona cape bubblewrap electric tape clothes have got to go. Next year try to at least see one band perform, you might like them or learn someting.

Ouch.

I actually did see some bands. I loved the ones I saw. Missed a few bands because we got there late on both days. The other bands I didn't quite care for, or had already seen (or will be seeing shortly) so I didn't watch their sets. Also see number 3 in Jeers, that might explain something.

I did it for fun. Sorry you didn't like it, and please let me know what I need to expand my mind on....

CHEERS:
1. Glenn of course
2. The OPP and all who participated in Corset night
3. Evil for my 6 Cases of Moxie
4. Angra and Therion for totally kicking my ass
5. Cheers to the bartender for making me those kick ass rum runners... just what I needed.

JEERS:
1. Catty people
2. The group of guys who were stalking my friend, making it hard for us to sit down and just relax. I gotta hand it to them though, placing their guys at every fucking entrace in and out of the stage area and texting each other was a pretty brilliant plan... Although if it happens again next year, they will be leaving in body bags.

-Metal

AND BRYAN AND ROGER! I didn't get to say goodbye to you guys either! >_<

FUCK! Well, I'll have to make another trip out to Detroit soon and just get hammered on Cabo with you guys!