PPVIII predictions for the remaining slots...

Hmm, not related to common forum predictions and going for a sell out... here are my predictions:

Friday:
#1 Iron Maiden
#2 Blind Guardian
#3 Redemption
#4 Virgin Steele
#5 Raintime

Saturday:
#1 Children of Bodem
#2 Dragonforce
#3 Nightwish
#4 Firewind
#5 Dark Asylum (for those of you that were at the SA atlanta show ;) )

You know those last few minutes before you fall asleep? More than once I have imagined:

"Hey guys, I know you put a lot of trust in my this year with me keeping Saturday's headliner undisclosed. Well, now its time. Here they are..."

omfgwtf! Iron Maiden with Mattias Eklundh and Maynard James Keenan as guest appearances!

But ya, sarcasm was the word for my "predictions".

Friday

#1 Iced Earth
#2 After Forever
#3 Redemption
#4 Virgin Steele
#5 Raintime
Saturday

#1 Nightwish (hardest slot to hold fans for. I think Nightwish's first live performance with new singer wins?)
#2 Symphony X
#3 Persuader
#4 Firewind
#5 Disharmonia Mundi

One thing you need to consider when making an actual "prediction" vs. a "a forum popularity list" is that I catered specifically to this forum last year in terms of wants/predictions and did not sell-out for the first time in four years. That's not an experience I care to repeat.

Yeah, but weren't all your big "buzz" bands in the lower slots(Freak Kitchen, Pyramaze, Vision Divine)?

Seems to me that your headliners were fairly mainstream choices, I'm just not sure they appealed to the prog or power metal customers. Evergrey is prog, but Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, and Jorn are not really prog or power. All are oddballs of a sort(Jorn is more melodic Rainbow-style classic metal). I would think that putting them all together in one lineup would bring in a different audience from previous Progpowers.

And to be honest, I read this forums pretty thoroughly and never really saw that much buzz for Evergrey to headline again. Or for Mercenary to play in a slot that high(most people would have liked them 3rd). Same with Epica, who had buzz, but not in such a high slot. Nevermore I didn't see much buzz for either.

No big power band + no big prog band = no sold out Progpower.

Adaher,

Six tickets from a sell-out does not equal a failure. In fact, I pushed the boundaries a bit and proved that I could do it by catering to this forum on the undercard and then doing my own thing on the headliners including a replacement that was not part of the original strategy. Yes, I wanted the sell-out streak to continue and I want the streak to start again. That's a pure ego thing on my part. However, it's nice to know that I can do it without having to do the obvious or play it safe in the top spots or anywhere else for that matter.

If I remember corrrectly, you were very vocal in your dissapointment in the roster last year and have been very vocal in your "great headliners equal the only way I coming" posts recently. I do hope I can draw those with your attitude about the fest, but I'm not going to sweat it if I don't. You can hammer away at me about that once the festival fails to succeed.

Hmm, not related to common forum predictions and going for a sell out... here are my predictions:

Friday:
#1 Iron Maiden
#2 Blind Guardian
#3 Redemption
#4 Virgin Steele
#5 Raintime

Saturday:
#1 Children of Bodem
#2 Dragonforce
#3 Nightwish
#4 Firewind
#5 Dark Asylum (for those of you that were at the SA atlanta show ;) )

Don't you EVER mention Dark Asylum on this board again!:puke::)

Six tickets from a sell-out does not equal a failure

Glenn, you should know me by now. Of course it's not a failure. All I stated was that it was not a sellout, which is exactly what you said in regards to picking bands that are favorites on this forum.

If I remember corrrectly, you were very vocal in your dissapointment in the roster last year and have been very vocal in your "great headliners equal the only way I coming" posts recently. I do hope I can draw those with your attitude about the fest, but I'm not going to sweat it if I don't. You can hammer away at me about that once the festival fails to succeed.

Ah, so you do remember. I'm sorry if you think I'm being petulant about the lineup. Believe me, I'm not. I was not disappointed nor angry in your choices last year anymore than I'd be disappointed or angry if a movie theater wasn't showing any good films at a certain time. I just did something else. I love your festival and have attended twice and I'd love to spend gobs of money on your festival this year. Long before Progpower, I dreamed that someday I'd be able to see bands like Stratovarius, Angra, and Edguy live, and you made that happen for me.

As far as my last post went, I was only disagreeing with your statement that the Progpower forum's wishlist was the cause of PPVII not selling out.

I think next year Glenn shouldn't announce any bands. Let it be a surprise when they get on stage ;P
Then you'll really test just how many people go to the festival on name alone.

Friday

#1 Therion
#2 Vanden Plas
#3 Redemption
#4 Virgin Steele
#5 Raintime

Saturday

#1 Iced Earth
#2 After Forever
#3 Tarot
#4 Firewind
#5 Wastefall

Tarot is probably more wishful thinking than predicition. Probably could go with a higher spot but as they don't tour much as it is, thought middle would be safe. I was trying to think of a headliner that most peope wouldn't think of but I'm not very good with thinking right now.

And in regard to needing the right headliners to sellout, I didn't care for Stratovarius or Angra at PPVI. Orphaned Land & Therion were my favourite bands playing that weekend. Last year I liked Wastefall (before they had to cancel), Pyramaze, & Savage Circus the most but I couldn't go as we closed on our house that Friday. I just have a tendecy of not caring as much about the headliners. The openers & midcards are more likely not playing other shows right after PP or if they are, they're openers with much shorter sets. Bands have learned there's a market in the US so the known headliner worthy are already doing full US tours and it's making exclusive PP headlining bands harder & harder.

As far as my last post went, I was only disagreeing with your statement that the Progpower forum's wishlist was the cause of PPVII not selling out.

Fair enough. I guess I really worded that wrong as my intent was to say the feedback from this forum on the undercard that was chosen specifically based on polls/feedback here led me to believe I had a sell-out coming regardless of what happened provided I booked at least one true headliner. That gave me the leeway to choose Jorn after Nevermore bailed. If they would have stayed, then I would have sold-out based on a non-traditional power/prog headliner which was the overall theme last year.

cheers.

Probably. Still, PPIII-PPVI were the briskest by far in sales, and I think that speaks to fact the lineups had something for everyone. I'm not going to like every band on the roster, but all I need is one or two "must-sees" near the top and I buy a ticket the morning tickets go on sale. The PPVII lineup was very different, seemed like it was mainly for the hardcore fans on the forum. Which I guess is exactly what you said.

I think next year Glenn shouldn't announce any bands. Let it be a surprise when they get on stage ;P

It would actually work on me. I'd be afraid I'd miss something.

It would actually work on me. I'd be afraid I'd miss something.

I still remember getting up at 5 AM in 2004 just so I could check what the lineup for ProgPower V was. It was a damn great surprise, especially for someone who was half asleep! LOL

It'd be cool to see that happening again, but for god's sake Glenn and Deron, can you announce things a little later? 8 AM would be perfect. LOL

And I can perfectly remember Deron's quote when he posted the announcement... "Finally I can go back to sleep now." :lol: :lol:

I wanted really bad to go to PPIII, but at the time I just didn't have the money to make that possible. PPIV, same deal. Then around April 2004 I realized "Hey! I've got some money and that ProgPower thingie is in September. I'll check out the site and see who is playing."

I saw Kamelot and Edguy and that was all I needed to know.

Can they fit the Symphony in the stage??? Make no mistake, it would be awesome, but I don't think there is enough room.

Why not? They had a similar setup for Evergrey. Why not Nightwish?

I will never tire of saying this. Apocalyptica HAS to appear on PP stage sooner or later. I don't care the slot, but there should be a strong case for at least a #3 spot. Even pre-party is good.

I think part of the problem is that is Apocalyptica really Prog or Thrash? They would be an oddball. No question about it. However, they put on one hell of a show.

Peace,
Ray C.

So far with the bands already announced, i believe this is shaping up to be the best ever. And i do believe that when the headliners are announced and all other slots are announced you will have a sellout that will occur faster than any other. I mean who wouldn't want to be a part of the first appearance and show of NIGHTWISH's new singer - COLLEEN GRAY, no it hasn't been announced by their management, Just wishing and praying that it does happen. Either way as things begin to take shape i can see that next year is really going to be something to write home about.
Will any of our predictions come true??? Only Glenn knows the answer to that, and he will let us know in due time. I love the suspence it keeps you on your toes.