ProgPower USA IX Roster Discussion

Well, this line up doesn't do all that much for me really, but after having to miss this year...I'll beg, steal or borrow to make next year's show. I can not miss seeing my friends again.

I like it better than you do, but not as much as this year. However Andromeda (finally! :) ), Riverside, and Jon Oliva easily make it worth going to. But after both of us not being able to make it this year I hope to be there. Hopefully it's in September so it's not quite as long a wait.

I think this is the most dissappointed I have been in a line-up. Every year there had been at least 7 bands if not more I was interested in seeing, now there are only 2 here, riverside and andromeda, but I could probably go without seeing riverside. I'm actually more excited about the lamb of god and soilwork tour then progpower, somethings weird here, hehe.

Very weird indeed LOL

I own 2 CD' by this line up, John Oliva's Pain and Serenity, but only even listen to JO's P. Serenity has been in my trade pile for many years...

My quick review from listening to songs on myspace...

Elvenking POWER Edguy meets Children of Bodem

Iron Savior POWER Blind Guardian meets Helloween

Pathosray PROG accually pretty good

Volbeat ROCKABILLY METAL why why why why

Astral Doors POWER heavy DIO influence

Riverside PROG light alternative prog This band is lighter than ENCHANT and not as good IMO. Love Enchant, never will get the draw for Riverside.

Andromeda PROG I like them, not sure why I never got into them.

Serenity PROG/POWER Pretty good mix of both (sorry I was totally thinking of the wrong Serenity earlier LOL)

Spheric Universe Experience PROG not bad

JON OLIVA'S PAIN needs no explaination for the Mountain King :)

Other than Volbeat and Riverside, this line up has potential. Needs a really good Prog band though.
I wouldn't be surprised if Evergrey, Symphony X, or Pain of Salvation will be there.

Riverside PROG light alternative prog This band is lighter than ENCHANT and not as good IMO. Love Enchant, never will get the draw for Riverside.

Lighter than Enchant?? Have you ever actually heard a full Riverside album? Second Life Syndrome is much heavier than anything Enchant has ever done... and they kick ass live! :headbang:

Kamalot, Circus Maximus, Anyone? A band Called Eternal Flight from Italy they are good Just a suggestion..:)

I think he just meant CM as a suggestion for a middle band.

I think it would be neat if JOP had a headlining, or headline-length set. I won't be surprised one iota if Symphony X shows up in either closing slot, nor Kamelot despite a rather low-fanfare (but awesome) recent album.

Elvenking and JOP will get me there next year anyway! woo hoo!

I'm really shocked to see a lot of people in this thread so excited about Elvenking. I didn't think they had such a positive following here. This is great! I was never a huge fan of CM, but I guess I wouldn't mind giving them a second chance. I'm really interested in seeing where each band places in the lineup. Especially Iron Savior.

The majority of bands so far on this lineup I am only vaguely familiar with, but that's not so bad...just means I have some ideas for music to get. Always nice to have some direction...I have heard most of them on internet radio stations a number of times, but Volbeat I have never even heard of. I am in the minority that is not an Oliva fan, but that's not such a big deal for me. Iron Savior would be awesome to see though.

The two remaining bands will play a big part in what think about this lineup - either way i'll probably be in attendance, but reappearances by Kamelot (especially), Symphony X or Blind Guardian would make me cross those dates off on my calendar right away. I'm pretty bored of Evergrey at this point, and as much of a Pain of Salvation fan as I have been, their most recent stuff has not really done it for me, and I can't imagine it would be any better live.

I think he just meant CM as a suggestion for a middle band.

I think it would be neat if JOP had a headlining, or headline-length set. I won't be surprised one iota if Symphony X shows up in either closing slot, nor Kamelot despite a rather low-fanfare (but awesome) recent album.

Elvenking and JOP will get me there next year anyway! woo hoo!

I think that the low-fanfare for Ghost Opera is largely on this forum, as most people I know (including people who are not even fans of metal necessarily, but who I got to listen to it) really love the album. Its a more vocal-oriented album and a purposefully more straight-forward album after years of working on two concept albums. I'm sure it was a good change of pace for them to work on - and honestly, the melodies they have come up with for Ghost Opera are some of the best and most powerful they have ever done. It is a showcase of Khan's voice and it really works on that level, I think.

Come on, Kamelot as a headliner for IX is the right choice.

I think that the low-fanfare for Ghost Opera is largely on this forum, as most people I know (including people who are not even fans of metal necessarily, but who I got to listen to it) really love the album. Its a more vocal-oriented album and a purposefully more straight-forward album after years of working on two concept albums. I'm sure it was a good change of pace for them to work on - and honestly, the melodies they have come up with for Ghost Opera are some of the best and most powerful they have ever done. It is a showcase of Khan's voice and it really works on that level, I think.

Come on, Kamelot as a headliner for IX is the right choice.

No Kamelot pleaseeeee

Guys, I think JOP IS one of the Headliners! I cannot see them as a Number 5 unless the headliner is Dio.

Yeah, Jon Oliva is well known and all that, but JOP has 2 albums, and as far as the power/prog metal scene goes, JOP does not have the name recognition to be a headliner. Plus, like I said, 2 albums is not enough to pull material from.

Yeah, Jon Oliva is well known and all that, but JOP has 2 albums, and as far as the power/prog metal scene goes, JOP does not have the name recognition to be a headliner. Plus, like I said, 2 albums is not enough to pull material from.

Uh, you forgot about the 10+ albums he released as a member of SAVATAGE. A good chunk of their set usually consists of those songs anyways, with a handful of JOP songs.

And Savatage has plenty of name recognition.

Uh, you forgot about the 10+ albums he released as a member of SAVATAGE. A good chunk of their set usually consists of those songs anyways, with a handful of JOP songs.

And Savatage has plenty of name recognition.

Ahh, didn't know he mostly played Savatage stuff.

I thought this year's show was goddamn amazing, but next year looks to completely destroy it:

Elvenking
Iron Savior
Pathosray
Volbeat
Astral Doors
RIVERSIDE!!!!!
ANDROMEDA!!!!!
SERENITY!!!!!!! (Mary was screaming like an idiot when this one was annouced!)
SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!
JON OLIVA'S PAIN!!!!!!!!!

And this is without the two headliners. I predict a sellout in about three seconds. Glenn, you are a god.

dt
IRON freakin' SAVIOR!
AT LAST!
:worship:OMG::kickass::headbang:

Nightwish would be a good headliner, with Annette at vocals. I'd also like to see a headliner that never has done it before, like Dragonforce or Children of Bodom. Iced Earth would work too. Helloween/Gamma Ray would be nice too. Tarot/Thunderstone (Tarot's lead vocalist is also Thunderstone's vocalist), Therion, Leaves' Eyes, Epica, Jorn or Allen-Lande, etc. I think any of these would work.