ProgPower USA IX Roster Discussion

I was really looking forward to hearing the lineup and this is coming from a veteran of many prog powers, I am very underwhelmed. Andromeda is really the only band that I have been wanting to see for some years. I don't even have albums by half the lineup and the other half is just okay...

Bear

I need album recommendations for just about every band confirmed, i've heard of a few but never really listened. I grabbed 2 Riverside but it's not hitting me, to slow or something

I lol'd. You mean nightwish's basist.

This is from www.metal-archives.com U go there and search for Thunderstone, and this is what u will see.

Thunderstone
Genre(s)
Power Metal
Lyrical theme(s)
Demons, Inner Struggles, Life, Love
Origin Formed in Current label Status
Finland (Helsinki) 2000 Nuclear Blast Active
Current line-up
Tommi Salmela - Vocals (Session) (Tarot (Fin), Cardiant, Mess)
Nino Laurenne - Guitars (Antidote)
Titus Hjelm - Bass (Antidote)
Mirka Rantanen - Drums (Kotipelto, Warmen, Tunnelvision, ex-Loud Crowd, ex-Ari Koivunen)
Jukka Karinen - Keyboards (Session) (Status Minor)
Former/past member(s)
Pasi Rantanen - Vocals
Kari Tornak - Keyboards (Sentiment)
Additional notes
Thunderstone, although founded as recently as early 2000, hold a membership of qualified pedigree. The group was conceived by guitar player Nino Laurenne, an erstwhile member of Thrash Metal act Antidote. Joining him on initial demos would be ex-Heat and present day Tunnelvision drummer Mirka Rantanen. The Rantanen brothers also operate with Warmen.

Singer Pasi Rantanen and keyboard player Kari Tornak left the band fall 2007. Tommi Salmela and Jens Johansson were asked to replace them for a tour. Johansson agreed but then came to second thoughts and Jukka Karinen was asked to instead.
Submitted by On
Stormrider September 3rd, 2002
Last modified by On
Perdition666 October 4th, 2007
Member options
Update band data
Add new data

Report a mistake or additional information for this page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discography

Demo Demo, 2001
Virus Single, 2002
Thunderstone Full-length, 2002 [3 reviews, average 76%]
The Burning Full-length, 2004 [1 review, 61%]
Tool of the Devil Single, 2005
Tools of Destruction Full-length, 2005 [1 review, 85%]
10.000 Ways Single, 2007
Forevermore Single, 2007
Evolution 4.0 Full-length, 2007 [2 reviews, average 93%]

I need album recommendations for just about every band confirmed, i've heard of a few but never really listened. I grabbed 2 Riverside but it's not hitting me, to slow or something

Elvenking -The Winters Wake and Heathenreel
Astral Doors - Asralism and also Of The Son and Father
Iron Savior - Unification and Dark Assault

these rest I have no interest in.

did anyone happen to catch the end of the video? It said something about october and march...who remembers? Thanks guys.

Other than Volbeat and Riverside, this line up has potential.

umm, what? dude, lots of people LOVE riverside. did you not notice the crowd reaction when their name hit the screen?

line up kicks ass!

jesus i thought riverside and olivias pain were headliners!

holy fuck!

oh and glen, is there a chance of another all star jam next year?

OH MY GOD!!! You guys probably saw me and Drew (curufin) jumping like two little girls every time a new band was announced!! This thing is going to be fucking amazing next year!! MY FAVORITE BAND IN ALL LIFE IS GOING TO PLAY!!!! (RIVERSIDE) THANK YOU GLENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvenking - Awesome, can't wait to see them.
Iron Savior - Honestly I am not too familiar, but will check it out.
Pathosray - Will kick your asses!!!
Volbeat - The new Freak Kitchen of ProgPower!! FUN AS FUCK!
Astral Doors - Solid power metal!! Good band!!
RIVERSIDE!!!!! - BEST BAND IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSE!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
ANDROMEDA!!!!! - IT WAS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!
Serenity - Good from what I heard!!
Spheric Universe Experience - Killer killer killer prog metal band!! AWESOME!
JOP - THE MOUNTAIN KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So fucking happy!! SO FUCKING HAPPY!!!!!!

haha yea, I had the wrong Serenity... I was thinking of this one...

http://www.myspace.com/serenitydoom

I don't know, my friend thinks I am crazy for not liking Riverside. I just can't get into the vocals. I think I downloaded their newest CD to try them out, but just can't get through a single song. I'll try again... Who knows. I didn't like Dream Theater, Fates Warning or Enchant for a while and now they are favs. LOL

Well....um....I've been listening to metal for 24 years now and I've got to say that I haven't heard a full song from 7 of the 10 bands just listed. Seriously. I guess I'll check my collection to see if I have something stashed in there but damn if that doesn't look like a lineup from one of those other little obscure metal festivals. Are these bands even playing stages in Europe?

I just have 3 feelings about this lineup: 1. Thanks, Glenn, for this year and as always for putting your all into this festival! It's much appreciated. 2. It's a good thing this festival has that reputation from 8 successful years because I'm sensing some trouble on this particular horizon unless...3. The headliners better be off the fucking hook and I"m talking about Running Wild level "We never thought we'd get them" type of band.

Volbeat is a Goddamned INSPIRED selection. Expand your horizons, doubters. Comfortably one of the best new metal bands around.

To be honest, I don't really understand how so many people have never heard most of these bands. None of them are exactly total newbies. All but Elvenking rule in my opinion. And I wouldn't avoid Elvenking on stage either. For me it's only Pathosray I don't know.

If the headliners are anything close to as cool as the rest of this line-up I might just make the trek from England next year.

I've not seen them all live before. Jon Oliva's Pain headlined ProgPower UK 2007, and absolutely blew everyone away. Andromeda I saw at Sweden Rock 2007. They were alright but were playing on a stage the size of my desk, to a crowd of about 30, so I've not taken it as a huge indicator of their potential. I'll see them again next March at ProgPower UK III.

Astral Doors are awesome live. I saw them supporting Blind Guardian in London last year. As someone else rightly said, big Dio influence. Brilliant band with several great albums (six, I think, including the new one out soon).

Serenity I caught one song by the other week opening for Kamelot and Threshold. They sounded awesome and, again, I'll see them at PPUK III.

The rest I've not seen before, but Riverside's albums (three to date) are all excellent, Spheric Universe's latest is likewise excellent, as is Iron Savior's. Volbeat have two albums out so far, both of which are outstanding. They're the best band this bill so far.

Well....um....I've been listening to metal for 24 years now and I've got to say that I haven't heard a full song from 7 of the 10 bands just listed. Seriously..

Just because you haven't heard of the bands listed doesn't mean they aren't worth your time, no matter how long you've been listening to metal. No one can know every single band out there. Shit. I don't know 7 of the 10 bands every YEAR and I still have a fantastic time.

Just because you haven't heard of the bands listed doesn't mean they aren't worth your time, no matter how long you've been listening to metal. No one can know every single band out there. Shit. I don't know 7 of the 10 bands every YEAR and I still have a fantastic time.

No, no. I didn't say they're not worth my time but I'm just wondering how this flock of bands that is under the general radar of the bulk of the metal community can merit a full roster of PPIX. A FEW of them maybe but 7 bands?

Certainly, I'll be checking them all out but it's been many, many moons since I've "discovered" an established band that blew me away. :zombie: