ProgPower USA IX Roster Discussion

Anyone curious about Iron Savior - start with the older stuff. Honestly I wasnt entirely thrilled with 'Megatropolis' - while not a bad album - just doesnt seem to hold up when placed next to older releases. They've been in regular rotation for me since the first album - just good heavy stuff (with a pretty cool sci-fi storyline to boot) =)

I am extremely excited about the lineup. Though I think I may have been the only one cheering when Volbeat was announced. I have both of their albums and they fucking great. The only bands I wasnt that excited to hear about were Serenity and Pathosray, but thats because I dont have anything by them yet

I am very excited about this lineup, but there are bands that I don't know enough about to have an opinion.

First, the bands that I've been screaming about to come to ProgPower: Iron Savior, Andromeda, and Elvenking! FINALLY. These three bands were in my wishlist since before I came to my first ProgPower (VI), and there was still speculation as to who was coming to PP6.

Bands that I've heard a little bit and have a positive reaction: Riverside, Spheric Universe Experience, Serenity: all good bands from what I've heard, but I don't know much yet. Will by October next year, though!

Jon Oliva's Pain: similar situation to Circle II Circle for me: I love Savatage (as does the majority of this forum), but this is like diet-Savatage, it's an unrelated side project that doesn't quite own up to the classic awesome that was the previous entity of its "star" member(s). Jon Oliva's Pain is a replacement for what many want, which is a Savatage reunion. Even Jon said that that's not going to happen any time soon (who knows, though, eh?). I will probably enjoy seeing JOP for the same reason that many Joe-schmo's will: in hopes he'll play some Savatage songs. I don't think I'm too inaccurate there.

The rest of the lineup, I know next to nothing about their material, so I'll have to check them out on my own. But I am super excited...because I am getting three of the four bands I've been screaming for since I discovered ProgPower (the fourth being Falconer...I'm still holding on for the future!). Can't wait till the headliners manifest.

So you decided it's PP again next year? I remember you said you were wanting to attend a European fest but that would depend on if you liked the PP roster or not.

Well, yes and no... For a guy like me, who doesn't make a ton of money, ProgPower is an incredible chunk of change, and going every year means that I don't have much extra money to do other traveling, or put away in savings for other things (such as a "getting the hell out of Cleveland" fund). Since music isn't a big part of my life these days, I was considering foregoing ProgPower next year in favor of some sort of European trip, or something (not necessarily a fest), and that I would be basing my decision on the Saturday night announcements. With a lineup like we have so far, though, I have to be there... there are a couple bands (Iron Savior, Astral Doors) that I've wanted to see for years, and a bunch of great up-and-coming prog bands that I like much more than Pagan's Mind/Threshold... plus one of my all-time favorite musicians in Jon Oliva.

I could put myself on a shoestring budget for next ProgPower (no booze, no merch, get some roommates, eat out as little as possible, etc.) and probably cut my bill by as much as two thirds, but I don't want to take too much of the fun out of the event. Regardless, unless something catastrophic happens, I'll be there next year.

I've been listening to songs from next year's lineup since about 7:30 or so and I've not heard a bad song yet and I've listened to the Serenity CD, the first Riverside CD, the newest Andromeda CD and I'm almost done with the new Spheric Universe Experience CD. I'm digging EVERYTHING I've heard so far. I'm not familiar with any of these bands so this is ALL quite a pleasant surprise to me. Riverside is quite different. I get a nice Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull kinda vibe from them. The other bands, from what I've heard so far are not fully progressive or fully power but near perfectly executed hybrids of the two. Granted there is a good bit of prog-ish wankery about on some of it, the driving riffs are very power-ish. I'm really really digging the whole Progressive Power Metal kinda sound that most of these bands have.

So is JOP considered a returning band? I know Jon came before in WoMD....so does this count as repeat. I hope it does. Because if i remember correctly, Glenn said there would be two returning bands. So if JOP is not counted as a returner......then that means that the two headliners are the returning bands. Just trying to think of who the headliners may be, and thought that this info would be very important in predicting correctly.

I am absolutely beyond stoked about :worship: Andromeda (i almost fucking lost all sanity when their song started and followed by the word ANDROMEDA!!!) and S.U.E.. I am also pretty excited about getting some Nils Patrick (i like everything he touches). Alot of the lineup i am somewhat unfamiliar with. I have heard of all of them before, but haven't heard much from a few of the bands....this list includes Volbeat, Riverside, Pathosray, and Serenity. JOP is solid. JOP's performance at BARfest was incredible (imo of course). I look forward to checking out all those that i am less familiar with. I am mildly excited about Elvenking and Iron Saviour.

I hope that one headliner will be something that just seals the deal for me. A Rhapsody :headbang: (....of Fire) announcement would do just that. As for others who would seal the deal for me.....Adagio or Falconer (although i'm not sure if they are "headliners"......i think they would fall into the Glenn catoragory of "create a headliner"......much as After Forever was to me this year. I was unsure about them (AF) headlining, but they totally kicked my ass!! Floor was one of the best...if not the best singer i have ever had the pleasure of seeing live. She blew me away!) Symphony X would definitely put me over the top as well. Or something unthinkable such as, dare i say it, Shadow Gallery. Can't wait to see what unfolds. :kickass::kickass::kickass:

Center Stage was 3/4 full at 2:30 AM for this announcement and with the exception of Volbeat, every band had more than half the crowd going bonkers!!!! I smell a sell out! Something for everyone....and we can only hope the JOP turns into a Savatage reuniuon....He headlined a few years ago, no way he will be anything less than a headliner!
Glenn Rocks!!!

So is JOP considered a returning band? I know Jon came before in WoMD....so does this count as repeat. I hope it does.

Well JOP did play a short mini-set at PPV under that name before the official WoMD set, so they are technically a returner. However, I don't think that is enough to make them really count, so unless Glenn clarifies I expect that JOP is not considered a returner.

I just want to state right now that Andromeda must be contractually required to play "Extension Of The Wish". Especially since they did not play it on their recent DVD. You cannot compose one of the best prog metal songs of the last decade (the other one is "Sapphire") and NOT perform it, dammit!!!

dt

Nightwish would be a good headliner, with Annette at vocals. I'd also like to see a headliner that never has done it before, like Dragonforce or Children of Bodom. Iced Earth would work too. Helloween/Gamma Ray would be nice too. Tarot/Thunderstone (Tarot's lead vocalist is also Thunderstone's vocalist), Therion, Leaves' Eyes, Epica, Jorn or Allen-Lande, etc. I think any of these would work.

How in the blue hell could I forget Falconer as a headliner???? I must live with that shame for awhile. I would go with Falconer and either Nightwish or Children of Bodom as headliners. I also would go for the aforementioned ones as well. Galneryus from Japan would also be a nice headliner as would Australia's Black Majesty.

How in the blue hell could I forget Falconer as a headliner???? I must live with that shame for awhile. I would go with Falconer and either Nightwish or Children of Bodom as headliners. I also would go for the aforementioned ones as well. Galneryus from Japan would also be a nice headliner as would Australia's Black Majesty.

No offense man, but you don't seem to have much of an idea of headlining status. Falconer, Black Majesty and Galneryus are lucky if they get an opener or a 2nd slot mostly at ProgPower. Nightwish, on the other hand, would be a better choice. CoB wouldn't make many people happy.

I have to say, that this is the STRONGEST line-up i have ever seen in all there are 8 bands on this roster i am dying to see life. and weill not miss this come hell or high water. As to VOLBEAT, well all I have to say is "JUST WAIT", this is going to be the surprise band of the festival along with PATHOSRAY, SERENITY, SUE. Be prepared to have your face melted 12 times over.

For starters, I'm absolutely psyched that Andromeda is finally coming to the States. That alone is worth my Gold Badge cash. Jon Oliva's Pain should be a rollicking good time, as should Iron Savior. I've been meaning to check out Spheric Universe Experience, and I now have good reason. With the exception of Elvenking, the rest of the bands are unknown to me. The samples on the video sounded very promising, though. Now I'm just hoping to hear about the return of Angra as a headliner, followed by a Crimson Glory set.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

No offense man, but you don't seem to have much of an idea of headlining status. Falconer, Black Majesty and Galneryus are lucky if they get an opener or a 2nd slot mostly at ProgPower. Nightwish, on the other hand, would be a better choice. CoB wouldn't make many people happy.

No offense but ... Falconer would get more than an opener. I'd bet with you that they have a bigger draw than Redemption and Threshold. Maybe you don't reailze that this band takes some top or near top slots at major European festivals, and yeah they don't have the same pulling power in the U.S. but I think you highly underestimate them. But putting them on the same level as Raintime and Communic? Please.

As for Black Majesty and Galneryus I agree.

I was considering going next year. But for me the only ones that I love are....

Elvenking
Iron Savior
Andromeda

I am ok with...
Jon Oliva... I have not heard any of his solo stuff.

So I am still in the dark for a bit.

God Damn, where do I sign the petition to have Elvenking play Seasonspeech or A poet for the Firmament?

With a limited time, I'd rather they not do Firmament. It's a good song, but I want quantity AND quality. I dont want 1/4 of their set to be one song. Alas, I did tell them I demanded they bring Regality Dance. ;)