SAVATAGE reunion at Wacken 2015!

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be reading too much into this but I thought it was interesting that the headline used the word comeback vs. reunion. They have slightly different implied meanings to me.

I am not a fan either. Saw them back in 90 with Nuclear Assault and Testament...they didn't go over well at that show. Most of the crowd used them as a beer break.

Gee..I wonder why they wouldn't go over well on that bill?? :roll eyes:

that being said, I saw Galactic Cowboys on their debut album tour kick major ass opening for Overkill and they didn't go over well either…see what I'm saying? :devil:

SAVATAGE AND TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA DISCUSS GIGANTIC COMEBACK SHOW AT WACKEN 2015; VIDEO STREAMING

Last night, at the Wacken Open Air (W:O:A) festival in northern Germany, Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO) and Savatage wowed 80,000-plus attendees with a never-before-attempted music festival performance. They talk about their gigantic comeback show in the new video interview below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3n31XhW8c

am I the only one who thought PON comes off as kind of a pretentious douche here? Oh and why have Kayla there if you're not going to have her speak? :err:

Just watched the Wacken stream. It was all TSO. It makes me wonder why we didn't see anything off the Savatage setlist. Maybe they plan on selling the Savatage part of the performance as a DVD. Who knows?

There was actually a lot of Savatage material, but it was more obscure stuff. Some of those tracks were from Wake of Magellan. I think a couple more were off of Handful of Rain. It was not a Savatage hits setlist. Jon was not featured very prominently at all, but Zak was heavily involved in the vocal work. Jon played keys all night i think, but the camera rarely found him except for the very end when he thanked the crowd and come down to take bows with the performers. Its like the camera folks had no idea he was the godfather of all of this stuff. A serious Savatage would have probably ate this up, but it was mainly material I only marginally know. It seemed more like a TSO show. I also dont recall seeing the name Savatage on the big screens, but i did notice TSO graphics a lot. Awesome production .. two stages. It's quite a show.

Britt

If you search for the Wacken Savatage group on facebook there's some interesting comments from one of the Circle II Circle guitarists (obviously he is close with Zach and others in band). He basically confirmed this show was to bury Savatage, that the official footage will never see the light of day and there are no DVD plans for Savatage portion

If you search for the Wacken Savatage group on facebook there's some interesting comments from one of the Circle II Circle guitarists (obviously he is close with Zach and others in band). He basically confirmed this show was to bury Savatage, that the official footage will never see the light of day and there are no DVD plans for Savatage portion

checked out the facebook group, a lot of unhappy people

In hindsight this was simply a very smart tactic on O'Neill's part to introduce TSO to a large European Market. I believe the whole Savatage thing was used as a door opener to Wacken. I'm guessing that O'Neill was very clear to the festival personnel what his intentions were and I guess they felt they had to go along with it. I just can't fathom that the Wacken folks went into to this thing wanting it to be a TSO event, but maybe they did.

I honestly don't think there is a future for Savatage in any capacity from this point forward. My hope now is that Jon Oliva's Pain continues to release quality material like in the past, as well as CIIC.

Savatage R.I.P.

~Brian~

I honestly don't think there is a future for Savatage in any capacity from this point forward. My hope now is that Jon Oliva's Pain continues to release quality material like in the past, as well as CIIC.

Savatage R.I.P.

Unfortunately, you're probably 100% correct. TSO is the cash cow, and Savatage doesn't stand a chance in that world. Hopefully, O'Neill won't just keep pulling out Savatage classics to turn into huge theatrical numbers for TSO.

I wonder where everything would be today if Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12-24 hadn't become a hit?

I wonder where everything would be today if Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12-24 hadn't become a hit?

This. Would Savatage continued on as it was before, or by now have broken up? Obviously Savatage was forever changed when Criss died, so would have it had the legs to continue on anyhow?

Like others have said, we still have Jon Oliva and so glad to have seen him perform Streets at last year's PP USA.

Admittedly I haven't watched any of the video yet, but just looking at that setlist I think I would have been massively disappointed if I went all the way to Wacken expecting to see a Savatage reunion.

Like others have said, we still have Jon Oliva and so glad to have seen him perform Streets at last year's PP USA.

Exactly. In the last two years, I've heard two classic Savatage albums performed in a manner befitting their legacy. That's good enough for me. :)

I just wanna know, just who the f*ck Paul O'Neil is? Does he OWN the Savatage name? I know he runs TSO but is he the boss of Savatage as well? This does not help Criss Oliva's memory one bit, letting Savatage as just a memory.

He developed the concepts for most of their albums as well as writing most of the lyrics with Jon.