So let's start planning for next year....

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
How it starts...

In preparation for PP USA XII, I make my "possible" lists. This is based on public demand, critical reviews, and the ever important "do I like it" factor. This list is edited multiple times all the way up until July. After that, I review the sponsorship bids and start making offers.

1. I book one headliner first. That is critical as it helps establishes my budget.

2. I then book the openers. That concretes the budget as the bottom dollars are now spent. It also gives me direction for the overall roster in terms of genres.

3. I start back at the direct support slots. My budget on these slots affect the rest of the roster even more so than the headliners. I will attempt to get three minimum and then place them in lower levels as appropriate.

4. I tend to go either of two ways in the fourth slots: high energy crowd reaction or multiple crossover appeal. There is no strict rule though.

5. The third slots tend to be the safer picks for the hardcore fans. You want to solidify the lower half of the show.

6. The second slot is where I experiment a bit assuming the rest of the roster has fallen into place. If I decide to gamble in a higher slot, I'll play it safe here instead.

7. The final headliner is booked. My blood pressure hits stroke levels if this is not resolved prior to mid-August. I could wait till much later to book this if necessary. However, this has not been necessary the past few years and I hope to continue that trend.

Where things are at in each slot to start out:

Headliner: Seven potential, four realistic.
5th slot: Eight potential, six realistic
4th Slot: Three potential
3rd slot: Five potential
2nd slot: Ten potential
Opener: Five potential

Are you looking for suggestions or just teasing us with the method to your madness? ;)

It was more of a method to my madness approach than request post. I think these type of posts are what seperate ProgPower USA from the rest of the pack.

However, I'll let the thread wander where ever it goes...

Oh sweet another thread that will turn into "HAY GLENN GET (impossible/horrible band) TO HEADLINE PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edit: That said, you should get crazier with your experimental slot.

From your top 20 of 2009:

Mob Rules
Southern Cross
Cain's Offering

others:
Raintime
Freak Kitchen
PC69
Starbreaker

It was more of a method to my madness approach than request post. I think these type of posts are what seperate ProgPower USA from the rest of the pack.

No other promoter gives his fans the insight that Glenn does, and I for one am thankful for that, it really makes the fans feel not only that they pay their money to go, but also it makes them feel part of the process. What other promoter or festival takes in to account who the fans want to see, and if possible makes it happen. Thanks Glenn for all you let us in on.

You are correct, sir! Not many other promoters -- meaning close to zero, really -- post this sort of "methods" info. Another reason why PPUSA rules and why people respect you. :kickass:

Equilibrium

For one of the opening slots, this would rule. They haven't played the US before.
'Course, they'd have to pile on the songs thick and fast since they'd be contractually required to play "Mana" in its entirety. :lol:

Van Canto is also a neet choice.

I'm guessing "LestatDeLioncourt" wouldn't fit as a nickname? :erk:

I'm willing to bet Mob Rules will be at XII, either as headliner or as direct support. As for my preference, besides the obvious Saxon to headline (which is probably highly unlikely) it would be a dream of mine to see Wolf, who I think could slip into a mid slot or possibly even direct support.

I believe you can attribute your hands on with the fans to your success, to be honest. I always thought companies that had a hands on relationship ( :lol: ) with their customer base always tended to do better in the loyalty department.

Anyway, I hear Freternia is back together...

Cool, I (as i'm sure everyone else) appreciate you kind of including us in the loop :headbang:

I might as well toss in a few bands for next year while i'm here... lol

Demonica
Mutiny Within
Aspera
The Murder Of My Sweet
Heavenly!!!
and I wanna see everyone on the floor look like this :zombie: ANNIHILATOR!!
and RockSugar!!:kickass:

Sieges Even re-union...or...Sub Signal if no option
Cynic
Star People but Lorenza Ponce has to be in the band!
Icarus Witch
Powermad

Doesn't really matter who you get. As long as you hook two or three bands that I like I'll always be there.

I love the thought of continuing the "never before played PPUSA" theme that we have going on with XI! I feel that there are so many quality bands out there that haven't played yet that i would still LOVE to see!

I'm definitely more on the power metal side of things, so i'd love to see some more "Stormwarrior-esque" bands that could fill that type of roster slot. Hibria, Dragonland, Celesty, Wizard, and Axenstar come to mind as a couple of strong ones for me.

I'd also echo the Equilibrium thought! One of my favorite bands for sure! I think if TYR go down nicely this year, it'd be cool to see more bands in that same vain! They have harsh vocals, but the music is nothing short of impressive, intricate, and catchy as hell!!

Throw Dark Moor into the mix for PP XII, and i don't care if the rest of the bill is full of Jay-Z clones, that would be the concert of my life!

Here are my most likely ignored suggestions. Btw, thank you for sharing the method to your madness, Harvester. I have always been interested in what happens on the back end to make these great concerts happen. With that said, here are the suggestions.

Into Enternity
Masterplan
Vanden Plas (Hopefully Homeland security won't stop them this time)
Aeon Zen
Halcyon Way
Future's End
Bumblefoot
Blotted Science
Mercenary
Freak Kitchen
Galneryus <--- OMG if you got them I will *SO* bring friends with me! :headbang: ()

For headliners? I know I'm dreaming but.
Symphony X
Opeth
Queensryche
Stratovarius

Really to be honest, I don't care who you bring as long as the show goes on. Last year was my first Progpower, and after experiencing it I will definitely say you have a guaranteed attendee for as long as the concerts go on.

In all my years of going to concerts, I have never felt so at home and welcome with other metalheads as I did when I was visiting the great city of Atlanta. My only regret is that I didn't come to earlier Progpower shows, and that I didn't bring more money for CDs and T-shirts. I'll have to bring more than $200 this year :lol:

Ja

Rei

Last edited by a moderator: