Repeat Bands?

I'm totally fine with repeats and expect it as even though there are so many new kick-ass up and coming bands, Glenn has to consider their "true" drawing power. So even though a bunch of us may get excited about some new band, it all comes down to whether they'll bring added value to the event. You really need some big name repeats to help build the up and coming bands by giving them an audience for their material.

At this point in time, it almost seems impossible not to have a sell-out event so it might not be as big a deal as it used to. Although I'm sure if it were the same exact bands year after years, people would quickly get bored and stop coming!

Seems pretty clear sentiments are overall - Repeats are a-okay. I would have to agree.

1. Do you want a completely new roster?

Absolutly not! The cream of the crop in the genre has for the most part played the festival before. While its nice to experience new/obscure/unfamiliar prog/power bands, that should be left to the opening slots because a concert is really never as good when you are not familiar with the material and have not had time to absorb and appreciate it. Also, there are many bands who have proven they can put on a show worthy of headlining at previous PPs, and I'd rather see them than some new group whose ability to kick ass at a show is in question. (somtimes reunions end up sucking).

2. Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available?

YES. Infact, I would prefer repeat headliners, or bands in the 3rd and 4th slots who really kicked ass to headline. The bands I can think of who CLEARLY have the headlining talent are:

Gamma Ray
Angra
Blind Guardian
Symphony X

The overriding principals on these guys are
1. They command the stage
2. They put on a coherent, energetic, and FUN show
3. You can sing along and interact with the music
4. They aren't depressing, experimental, overly proggy stuff which really would not bring a night to a CLIMAX! Those bands should be early slots so there is a progression in energy.

Bands that have headlined or been in high slots that really should not be:

Evergrey: Too bland, straightfoward metal, doesn't have the energy and kick a headliner should.
Edguy: I remember liking this band back when they were called Iron Maiden. Too many similar songs, not enough stage presence and chemistry.

The overriding principals on these guys:
1. Headliners should have an original and distinct sound
2. Headliners should be energetic and fun
3. Headliners should be able to engage the crowd in a real interactive experience.

3. Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots?

Yes, but not just on principal. Just because a band was in a low slot one year does not mean they should automatically have to be in a higher slot the next. Those who earned it with their show should move up. The best example I can think of would be Silent Force at PPIII. They massivly stood out from the other low slot bands as kicking way more ass in their show, songs, and sound. Groups like that should move into the mid-range slots.

4. Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?
No, those lower slots should be your opportunity to give new guys a shot to prove they are worthy to move up. There are a limited number of slots, so if a band played a lower slot and didn't prove they deserve to move up, adios, someone else gets a turn.

Interesting post, although I'm tempted to send you to the principle's office [sic] for bad usage. :D

I think Glenn might disagree about Evergrey's ability to entertain an audience, too.

As for proggy bands holding an audience and their energy....well, I suppose that's a matter of personal taste and how much you yourself 'get into' a style of music. I seem to recall shows where Dream Theater held their audiences spellbound, thankyouverymuch, but of course, it's a different audience.

Harvester said:
Ok..I want as much input as possible in this thread on how you feel about repeat bands. I am not referring to who specifically you want to return, but how you feel in general about repeats. Do you want a completely new roster? Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available? Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots? Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?

Please remember that I do NOT WANT CHEERLEADING POSTS TO BRING BACK SOMEONE YOU SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE.

Glenn H.

I personally don' mind the "repeat" bands but I'd like to see the rule extended out more than 2 years and possibly limit the # of times a band plays the festival. There's several bands I've seen multiple times and quite honestly I'd prefer the slots be give to other bands that haven't had a chance to play ProgPower or haven't been here since 1, 2 or 3.