Tarja 2009 USA Tour

Since Tarja insists on butchering, er, covering such classic metal tunes, Orbweaver and I have compiled a new "all-covers" setlist. Imagine the most recognized voice in soprano metal singing to your favorites:

Big Balls by AC/DC!
Caught In A Mosh by Anthrax!
Three Little Pigs by Green Jelly!
Welcome Home by King Diamond!
So What? by Metallica!
Ace Of Spades by Motorhead!
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera!
Angel Of Death by Slayer!

Of course, no concert is complete without an encore. Thus, we'll have Tarja wrap it up with some absolute classics:

Fucked With A Knife by Cannibal Corpse and
Balls To The Wall by Accept!

Now tell me you wouldn't pay good money to see that!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'd much rather spend my hard earned money to see a band that deserves it. You know, like Katagory V, Zandelle, Suspyre, Odin's Court to name four.

Since Tarja insists on butchering, er, covering such classic metal tunes, Orbweaver and I have compiled a new "all-covers" setlist. Imagine the most recognized voice in soprano metal singing to your favorites:

Big Balls by AC/DC!
Caught In A Mosh by Anthrax!
Three Little Pigs by Green Jelly!
Welcome Home by King Diamond!
So What? by Metallica!
Ace Of Spades by Motorhead!
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera!
Angel Of Death by Slayer!

This list is notably lacking any Immortal, Emperor or Cryptopsy. For shaaaaaaaame!! :loco:

Now tell me you wouldn't pay good money to see that!

"Waiter! Check, please!" :lol:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Paul!

I'm afraid I'm not versed well enough on black metal song titles to add Emperor or Immortal to the list! My bad! I was thinking of adding "The Serpent King" by God Dethroned, if for no other reason than to hear Tarja sing the lovely line, "I'm gonna shoot you from real close!"

On another note, thanks for the shout out to Katagory V, Stingray! I'd love for us to do a show near you, but sadly, you might be the only attendee! Hopefully, once we get this new album finished (which will take quite some time due to the personnel changes and the fact that I live four states away from the rest of the band), we're hoping it'll attract enough attention to get us the kind of shows that the individual band members have been wanting to play for years. As of now, we have nine songs fully written, and we're aiming to write three more. It's coming along, so we'll keep you posted!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Paul!

I'm afraid I'm not versed well enough on black metal song titles to add Emperor or Immortal to the list! My bad! I was thinking of adding "The Serpent King" by God Dethroned, if for no other reason than to hear Tarja sing the lovely line, "I'm gonna shoot you from real close!"

On another note, thanks for the shout out to Katagory V, Stingray! I'd love for us to do a show near you, but sadly, you might be the only attendee! Hopefully, once we get this new album finished (which will take quite some time due to the personnel changes and the fact that I live four states away from the rest of the band), we're hoping it'll attract enough attention to get us the kind of shows that the individual band members have been wanting to play for years. As of now, we have nine songs fully written, and we're aiming to write three more. It's coming along, so we'll keep you posted!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'd rather be the only attendee to listen to a band I actually like, rather than be among 1000 yahoos for a band I cannot stand.

Checked over her site but the last band lineup I was able to find was from last April.
Bass & BV: Doug Wimbish (Living Colour, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Jeff Beck)
Guitars: Alex Scholpp (ex-Farmer Boys)
Drums: Mike Terrana (Masterplan, Savage Circus, ex Rage)
Keys & BV: Maria Ilmoniemi
Cello: Max Lilja (Hevein, ex Apocalyptica)
Lead & BV, guitars, and electronic drums: Toni Turunen.

Can anyone find an update?

That setlist is pretty interesting. I like most of the choices from her solo work and she's chosen some of her best from the NW days. Could do w/o "Wishmaster", simply because I've seen it played live far too often. Ready to move on. Not sure about covering "Symphony of Destruction." Anyone hear of a review of how she did with that? Well, I'm sure there will be some changes, but all in all, looks worth checking out, just don't know how many days in one week I can travel to a show.

Tarja Turunen's backing band for her current European solo tour is as follows:

Mike Terrana (MASTERPLAN, ex-RAGE) - drums
Maria Ilmoniemi - keyboards, backing voc
Oliver Holzwarth (BLIND GUARDIAN, ex-SIEGES EVEN) - bass
Alex Scholpp (ex-FARMER BOYS) - guitar
Max Lilja (HEVEIN, ex-APOCALYPTICA) - cello

On South American leg in August she had Kiko Lourero :cool: on guitar, now on the current European leg Oliver Holzwarth replaced Doug Wimbish who had other commitments for this time frame. Also her brother Toni Turunen hasn't been with the band since last spring due his own career in Finland.

There are plenty of video material on Youtube from almost all of her recent gigs, since Tarja allows and even encourages using digital cameras at her concerts.
In addition to the Kuusankoski concert video she published free on her website last winter, there are a few pretty good bootlegged full concert videos floating around the web, too. She seems to take those as good free promotion. (Which they actually are, mind you :cool:)

Eh...I love that place. To each their own.
Most of the other venues draw trendoid hipster assholes exclusively. (Koolhaus, anyone?)
Well, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the other attendees, normally, so I didn't pick up on that. I just know that when I asked the hotel (right down the street) where it was they had no idea what I was talking about. Finally found it and was like, "THIS is the Opera House?!" From the outside it looks like it's been closed for awhile. Very rundown looking, imo. Inside the layout was fine and the sound was very good, but backstage was downright scary. Very shabby and claustrophobic with limited facilities. That's what I think turned her off so much the last time. Maybe she'll just commute from the hotel.

Well some people need to fall hard on their ass before they realize their flaws, so live and learn. The point is she is coming!
Too true. I think it's a little ironic she is returning now (during a NW tour), but really, I'm pleased. I love her voice and would like to see her perform her own songs at least once. I must say, I think she could have picked better closers than "Dead Gardens" and "SoD". She should choose some songs that better showcase the power and uniqueness of her voice. But then maybe she has? Will be interesting to see what the changes are in the set list.

Thanks St. Enigma for the info. ;)

April 29th, 2009.....Come and witness HISTORY! Come witness the "cough"LEGENDARY"cough" Tarja Turunen lower herself to play in the USA! "Only" $29.50 to see her play to the American fans that she claimed to be beneath her at NY's Irving Plaza!

Dude, your new signature is incredibly irritating to the eyes. I know you're more than just a little opinionated on this issue, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Dude, your new signature is incredibly irritating to the eyes. I know you're more than just a little opinionated on this issue, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Changed the sig. Happy? If you're happy, I'm happy.

Now, we all know she is having this tour because Universal pointed a gun to her head, right? The only promoters who are doing this tour were willing to throw money at her. The guarantees must have been ridiculous as only real heavy-hitters were willing to part with cash. You want to know why they are only doing 4 cities in the US? If the guarantees are what I think they are, people like Glenn and Nathan would have had to mortgage their first born to afford it.

From an August show in Brazil:

Boy and The Ghost
Lost Northern Star
Passion and the Opera
Nemo
Sing For Me
Our Great Divide
Enough
Oasis
My Little Phoenix
------------------------------------
I Walk Alone
Poison
Phantom Of The Opera (Featuring Angra's Edu Falaschi)
Band Solo
Ciaran's Well
Wishmaster
Die Alive
Calling Grace
Dead Gardens
Symphony of Destruction (Cover)
I would love to see her perform this set!

Sorry for the mistake, Jasonic!

I've only heard Metallica's version of the song. I should have realized that it was a cover, seeing as how it's on one of the Garage Days CDs. In that case, we can switch out that song with Damage, Inc!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Sorry for the mistake, Jasonic!

I've only heard Metallica's version of the song. I should have realized that it was a cover, seeing as how it's on one of the Garage Days CDs. In that case, we can switch out that song with Damage, Inc!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

No need to apologize... Just pointing it out.
I knew the original long before Metallica covered it, so I guess that's why I responded to your post that way. It is by the Anti-Nowhere League.

There are a lot of folks who still think Metallica wrote Last Caress!!

Everyone knows Dave Mustaine wrote that!!!
Actually it was Sean Harris and Brian Tatler.
A couple of references (there are many):

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Album:
Garage Inc. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The cover of:
The song "Am I Evil?" was originally released by the band Diamond Head in 1980 on the "Lightning To The Nations" album."[/SIZE][/FONT]

Behold the Beginning (1986)
By Diamond Head

Behold the Beginning compiles tracks taken from Diamond Head's official debut album, Lightning to the Nations, and a non-LP single, the poppy ballad "Waited Too Long." Diamond Head are at their best when they are also at their darkest, and epics like "Am I Evil?" "The Prince," and "Helpless" (all eventually covered by Metallica) are far and away the highlights.

But many people have thought it was a Metallica song. An interesting article on Diamond Head included this tidbit:

"The reunion of Diamond Head did not last. One major contributor to the second fall of the band was during the Death and Progress tour, when Diamond Head opened for Metallica and Megadeth at the National Bowl in Milton Keynes on June 5th 1993. During the show Sean Harris came out dressed as the Grim Reaper, which Brian Tatler reported in the British rock magazine Classic Rock, was Harris' way of saying that NWOBHM was over. They opened with their flagship song, Am I Evil and ended with Helpless; both off their debut Lightning to the Nations, as they thought this would go down well with the Metallica fan base. However, as Diamond Head had not been around for the majority of the previous decade and Metallica had covered both of these songs many of the crowd though that Diamond Head were just covering Metallica songs."

Two questions: How did this get in the Tarja thread and do you have any more popcorn, Pellaz?