The "No B.S." Interview

Yeah, no offense to all the Volbeat fans out there (I love them too btw) but I think them not being there at IX was a blessing in disguise as Mustasch rocked that fucking house! It would be still nice to see them though.
Would have preferred Mustasch as an add on. Now we see these thing are possible. Hated missing Volbeat. Why should we have to choose? :p

Scripps-Howard just called... you're forever banned from entering the spelling bee.

Your English teacher called, to remind you that that'd be a usage error, not a spelling error. :heh:

Gotta say, I'm loving these "no B.S." questions and answers -- and when Glenn feels like writing that long-rumoured book, I'll happily help proofread it. :)

I don't want a sappy ending.I want a blistering head banging set that my mind will never let me forget.Not sure who I would want to end it with though,that will take some hard thinking.

I don't want to think of the LAST Prog Power either. Been part of my life for too long. After reading Glenn's answer, I couldn't think of a better way to go out. Bonus points for Freak Kitchen being there. :headbang:

Maybe in 20 years, this could happen..... :)

Glenn,

I love how you said, "It wouldn't be about making a buck. It would be about making a memory." I think that's how any festival promoter should or would want to approach things if they decided, or just knew, that the next show would be their last.

I'm in the same camp with the rest of the folks on this forum: I hope that day doesn't come for a long, long time. That said, no matter how many ProgPower festivals we have left, I think we can all agree that this festival has undoubtedly made its mark. I've heard plenty of stories about other festivals in this country (not to mention the fact that I've been to a few different festivals), and those stories usually end with someone saying, "That fest really sucked those last couple of years" or "That fest was doomed to fail." I see folks talking about ProgPower in the future by saying that it was truly a class-act.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

From the archives.. each of the 10 questions/answers under 1 URL

In 2010, we asked facebook fans to submit questions that PPUSA promoter, Glenn Harveston would answer with brutal honesty & candor regarding ProgPower USA & his thoughts on the music industry in general. Glenn has selected 10 questions to answer:

#1 What's the single biggest act of douchebaggery that has been committed by a member of a band that played at ProgPower?

#2 We know Ayreon costs too much. Have you tried for Avantasia instead?

#3 Over the years, you have made mention of the bands that have garnered the most enthusiastic responses from the audience at your fest. With that in mind, what band or bands played a set that you thought was brilliant but did not make the crowd go nuts?

#4 Have you considered doing the festival in another city? If so, what cities? Is it that cost-prohibitive?

#5 Which band was the most challenging to land for the fest (contract, negotiations, etc.)?

#6 What do you personally feel is the festival's biggest weakness, and what can yourself, the crew, the musicians, and the fans, do to help overcome it?

#7 What bands have you wanted to book but declined to do so due to fear that they wouldn't "go over well"?

#8 Has there ever been any band that has been part of the ProgPower lineup that their personalities have influenced how you felt about their music? I know that sometimes bands are very well known for being either really appreciative of their fans or extremely rude. I personally find myself not wanting to meet most bands I really like out of fear that personality flaws will make me not enjoy their music as much.

#9 Are there certain bands that you purposefully book just to get a rise out of people?

#10 What does the last ProgPower USA roster look like? What's the last song played?

~Jen

What bands have you wanted to book but declined to do so due to fear that they wouldn't "go over well"?

I have no idea if I’m anywhere close to right on my gut feelings about these bands. Obviously, some years I can push the boundary a bit more than others as I believe I have successfully. However, these bands are the ones that I’d love to see if I didn’t care what the crowd thought:

4. Soilwork - The “you sold-out” and “Hot Topic” chants would start immediately; however, I still dig the band.

Jen could you get Glenn in here and asked him what changed his mind? I love the band so I'm glad he did. Thanks. :)

Great interview, and great set of questions!!

The Ayreon/Avantasia answer is a great point, and answered a lot of issues regarding getting a band on a show. It's crazy how much work goes into things like this. Pretty much covered everything.

Yeah, basically everything that could have been said has been said.

I don't want to think of the LAST Prog Power either. Been part of my life for too long. After reading Glenn's answer, I couldn't think of a better way to go out. Bonus points for Freak Kitchen being there. :headbang:

Maybe in 20 years, this could happen..... :)
I don't want to think about the last one either; I just joined you guys!! D: