Thoughts on Pagan Fest, Dimmu Borgir and Gigantour

TBJ

Dec 5, 2002
Carrboro, NC
Visit site
I'm tired as hell from all the metal(and and all that driving)! but here are some thoughts on the shows I went to this weekend..

Gigantour(Merriweather Post Pavillion, MD):

High on Fire - Unfortunately missed them cause we got there late.

Job for a Cowboy
- They sounded like every other death-core band out there, they were tight as hell however, which is good.

Children of Bodom - First disappointment of the weekend, the band was tight, however, they chose to play their chugga-chugga songs instead of their good material(barring Hate me and Downfall, which were awesome).

In Flames - I don't know what to say..they did the same thing CoB did, play chugga chugga music instead of their good songs. Can't say I blame them though, they got a good reaction on their new material, and the song Clayman, but they played Graveland from The Jester Race and there were a lot of confused faces in the audience. I hadn't seen this band live before and I am a huge fan of their music(up to Reroute to Remain) but it was very disappointing to see them turn into just another angry jock band..And the less is said about stage presence the better.

One interesting thing of note was Anders' comments about having to play to European audiences on their next tour and his complete disinterest in doing so....I guess European metal fans are more demanding and expect them to play their good stuff...

Megadeth - This is my fourth time seeing them and they did not dissapoint. Awesome from beginning to end. There were some mistakes here and there but they still showed the crowd, and the opening bands, why they are fucking Megadeth. By the way, the new guitarist is amazing, but we all new that.

The Invaluable Darkness Tour - Part 2: Legions of The Chosen Few(Club 9:30, DC)

Keep of Kalessin
- Unfortunately missed them due to DC being a clusterfuck of streets with no visible signs(i.e. we got lost).

Behemoth - I am not the biggest death/black metal fan in the world, however, these guys put on a great show and I really enjoyed their songs.

Dimmu Borgir - I had not seen these guys live before and I have to say they impressed the hell out of me. Amazing show with a great setlist covering most of their albums.

Pagan Fest(Jaxx, Springfield, VA)

Silveth and Apothys -
These bands were pretty good openers imho, but I really don't have much else to say about them.

Eluveitie - Holy Shit! This band was great. Some songs reminded me of At The Gates, mixed with European folk music. There were around 7 people on stage at a time and they all sang or played some instrument. Great stage presence from all the members, they were moving around everywhere on that small stage. Props to the girl in the audience who came dressed up as a medieval maiden, she kept dancing to Eluveitie's more folky songs!!

Amazing band, can't wait to see them again!

Tyr - Compared to Eluveitie, Tyr seemed kinda boring and bland, however, their brand of Viking Metal was way better than Amon Amarth's(Imho).

Turisas – Goddamn!! Anyone who likes metal needs to see this band at least once. I would say they were the highlight of the whole weekend. This band was nuts. They made people dance, mosh, then dance again, then mosh again! They completely kicked everyone's asses that night, which was unfortunate in a way because Ensiferum(the headliners) seemed like they would have a hard time following up after these guys! At first I thought Turisas' brand of folk/Viking metal would come off as too cheesy, coupled with their attire and face paint, however, the opposite was true. The crowd completely ate up all they had to offer.

Ensiferum – They did not have the crazy attire or Braveheart-esque face paint as Turisas, however, they had better songs and their sound was amazing. Petri(vocals) did a great job in keeping the crowd pumped, although it was more than clear that people were already too exhausted from all the previous bands(more so because of Turisas). Still, they played most of my favorite songs, and played them tight as hell.

to all of you, you HAVE to go see Pagan Fest, it's the most fun show I have ever witnessed.:headbang:Good Metal needs to be supported!
:kickass:

I'm tired as hell from all the metal(and and all that driving)! but here are some thoughts on the shows I went to this weekend..

Gigantour(Merriweather Post Pavillion, MD):

High on Fire - Unfortunately missed them cause we got there late.

Job for a Cowboy
- They sounded like every other death-core band out there, they were tight as hell however, which is good.

Children of Bodom - First disappointment of the weekend, the band was tight, however, they chose to play their chugga-chugga songs instead of their good material(barring Hate me and Downfall, which were awesome).

In Flames - I don't know what to say..they did the same thing CoB did, play chugga chugga music instead of their good songs. Can't say I blame them though, they got a good reaction on their new material, and the song Clayman, but they played Graveland from The Jester Race and there were a lot of confused faces in the audience. I hadn't seen this band live before and I am a huge fan of their music(up to Reroute to Remain) but it was very disappointing to see them turn into just another angry jock band..And the less is said about stage presence the better.

One interesting thing of note was Anders' comments about having to play to European audiences on their next tour and his complete disinterest in doing so....I guess European metal fans are more demanding and expect them to play their good stuff...

Megadeth - This is my fourth time seeing them and they did not dissapoint. Awesome from beginning to end. There were some mistakes here and there but they still showed the crowd, and the opening bands, why they are fucking Megadeth. By the way, the new guitarist is amazing, but we all new that.

We have fourth row, stage right seats for this gig in Detroit on Saturday. Looking forward to it very much. I've heard Job For a Cowboy absolutely blows. We're there to see COB and In Flames.

Silveth and Apothys -
These bands were pretty good openers imho, but I really don't have much else to say about them.

Eluveitie - Holy Shit! This band was great. Some songs reminded me of At The Gates, mixed with European folk music. There were around 7 people on stage at a time and they all sang or played some instrument. Great stage presence from all the members, they were moving around everywhere on that small stage. Props to the girl in the audience who came dressed up as a medieval maiden, she kept dancing to Eluveitie's more folky songs!!

Tyr - Compared to Eluveitie, Tyr seemed kinda boring and bland, however, their brand of Viking Metal was way better than Amon Amarth's(Imho).

Turisas – Goddamn!! Anyone who likes metal needs to see this band at least once. I would say they were the highlight of the whole weekend. This band was nuts. They made people dance, mosh, then dance again, then mosh again! They completely kicked everyone's asses that night, which was unfortunate in a way because Ensiferum(the headliners) seemed like they would have a hard time following up after these guys! At first I thought Turisas' brand of folk/Viking metal would come off as too cheesy, coupled with their attire and face paint, however, the opposite was true. The crowd completely ate up all they had to offer.

Ensiferum – They did not have the crazy attire or Braveheart-esque face paint as Turisas, however, they had better songs and their sound was amazing. Petri(vocals) did a great job in keeping the crowd pumped, although it was more than clear that people were already too exhausted from all the previous bands(more so because of Turisas). Still, they played most of my favorite songs, and played them tight as hell.

to all of you, you HAVE to go see Pagan Fest, it's the most fun show I have ever witnessed.:headbang:Good Metal needs to be supported!
:kickass:

We're attending the Pagan Fest USA gig in Mokena tomorrow (Thursday) night. May 1 is an auspicious day for Pagans, for what I understand. Some kind of holiday (Beltane). So the force will be with them, I'm sure. :)

Eluveitie is absolutely kick-ass. I interviewed the bass player (Rafi Kirder) for another web site. He's a very nice guy, laughed all the time. They're a very tight, high-energy band on stage. We're supposed to get some press passes and backstage access to meet the band, so I'm stoked to see them. The Pearl Room is a unique venue in an area that looks to be a strip mall nestled inside a well-to-do neighborhood. A hoard of vikings/pagans descending on the area ought to scare the shit outta the locals. But its only rock 'n' roll, right?

Bill

Make sure to show up for Oakhelm. They're a great band from seattle/portland and they have more of a black metal/folk feel to them (they're definitely from around here) but REALLY awesome. Check them out

www.myspace.com/oakhelm

i plan on getting there early casue i havn't been to the venue for along time also i hate sitting in traffic....but dosnt everybody?

i was right up in front at Paganfest at Jaxx...i want to know how it happened that somehow they made it through the entire show without the sound guy or anyone else making an announcement about the "no crowd surfing" rule that jaxx has. i also want to know what happened to the crowd surfers...like, if they got kicked out or anything. there was also the kid who (in a very asshole-ish way that's difficult to describe if you weren't there to see it) was forcing his way toward the front and got his ass kicked by a bunch of the people around me.

also, i really want to know if anyone got a picture of the corona bottle that the singer from Turisas had :lol:

i was right up in front at Paganfest at Jaxx...i want to know how it happened that somehow they made it through the entire show without the sound guy or anyone else making an announcement about the "no crowd surfing" rule that jaxx has. i also want to know what happened to the crowd surfers...like, if they got kicked out or anything. there was also the kid who (in a very asshole-ish way that's difficult to describe if you weren't there to see it) was forcing his way toward the front and got his ass kicked by a bunch of the people around me.

also, i really want to know if anyone got a picture of the corona bottle that the singer from Turisas had :lol:

I didnt notice the asshole guy but then again I was up near one of the bars, next to the medieval-looking girl.

I have to say, the only disappointing thing about Pagan Fest was that Chicken-Suit guy from Gigantour and the Dimmu concert didn't show up for Pagan Fest!

Dave Mustaine's reaction to the chicken suit alone was worth the price of admission .

Ensiferum and Turisas where incredible. Tyr way to short of set.Elev(sp) cant remember how to spell where good but to me there stuff all sounded the same imo.

Didn't goto Gigantour because Megadeth only changed up there setlist by one song since the fall tour.

Ensiferum must have made a turn around since Montreal. They had little stage presense and the sound was horrible so I couldn't hear any of the vocals. I wanted to like them since I love the first two albums and the Dragonheads EP but I haven't been able to warm up to VS. Oh well, I really went for Turisas and they delivered. I enjoyed Tyr but they needed a longer set. Eluveitie didn't play in Canada so we had a band called Gwynbleid which was pretty good. No local opener.
I'm looking forward to a Turias headlining tour some time in the future. They easily could draw a similar crowd without Ensiferum. If the NYC date wasn't a weekday, I would so see this show a second time for them alone.

Tyr was a dissapointment. They had a pretty lame song selection for being such a great band. It also seemed like they played for 15 minutes.

Eluveitie & Turisas were the main events that night.

IMO, Ensiferum without Jari is like a burger without cheese...it's cool but it ain't fuckin worth it :lol:

I watched 3 songs and left. Jari brought something amazing to that band and when he left, he took it with him, and Ensiferum didnt bother to find a worthy replacement. They just lost it.

Tyr was a dissapointment. They had a pretty lame song selection for being such a great band. It also seemed like they played for 15 minutes.

Eluveitie & Turisas were the main events that night.

IMO, Ensiferum without Jari is like a burger without cheese...it's cool but it ain't fuckin worth it :lol:

I watched 3 songs and left. Jari brought something amazing to that band and when he left, he took it with him, and Ensiferum didnt bother to find a worthy replacement. They just lost it.

Well, I'm not a huge cheese fan so a Burger without it sounds just as good to me!

I get the Jari thing, I mean Jari is a great singer, great composer and one hell of a shredder. Petri is none of the above, however for some weird reason I still really like Ensiferum with him on vox. Weird because I cant stand him in Norther...

On the other hand, we have Wintersun now as well so its all good.