Thoughts on Pagan Fest, Dimmu Borgir and Gigantour

Found this on the Turisas forum - ever wanted to see the crowd dance a jig at a metal show? This is from the Montreal tour stop...

[ame]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzLoWwhsX0[/ame]

Turisas – Goddamn!! Anyone who likes metal needs to see this band at least once. I would say they were the highlight of the whole weekend. This band was nuts. They made people dance, mosh, then dance again, then mosh again! They completely kicked everyone's asses that night, which was unfortunate in a way because Ensiferum(the headliners) seemed like they would have a hard time following up after these guys! At first I thought Turisas' brand of folk/Viking metal would come off as too cheesy, coupled with their attire and face paint, however, the opposite was true. The crowd completely ate up all they had to offer.

to all of you, you HAVE to go see Pagan Fest, it's the most fun show I have ever witnessed.:headbang:Good Metal needs to be supported!
:kickass:

All I have to say is A-FUCKING-MEN!!

Turisas was totally kick ass and definitly, in my opinion, the highlight of the show! Right now, listening to The Varangian Way as I am typing this up. They were by far my most favorite band of the night, although I really did like Tyr, but compare to the other's, especially after Eluvitie (sp), they did come off somewhat boring. Still, got to chat a couple of them a bit after the show and there really cool and fun to talk to.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/SkiBumMSP/Concerts/Turisas/IMG_2388Medium.jpg

I did not get there to later as I was coming straight from work (really sucked, plus as I had my Viking costume with me, but did not have time to change into it!). By the time I got there, the first band had already started playing. As a result, there was no way that I was going to get up near the stage (I am not going to be one of those asshole types that feel they have to shove thier way up to the front - believe me, dealt with a few of those types myself, such as a couple of fuckheads that tried it at the Nightwish show). Funny how that just with people leaving and moving around, I somehow still managed to get up near the front anyway by the time Ensiferum came on. I was over by stage left (on the right side looking at the stage) near the speaker stack.

That was a totally kick ass show. Damn, this The Varangian Way album also totally kick-ass as well, that I bought at the show! At least they included a bonus DVD and some bonus tracks as well, so the $25 hit did not sting to bad.

Next up, Circa with Odin's Court tomorrow evening and then on Saturday - friggan SYMPHONY X!!!!!

I do have to agree with your last statement - if you have not gone yet, you gotta go see Pagans Fest! Yes indeed, good metal must indeed need to be supported! :headbang:

I curse you all for being able to catch Paganfest. My fucking graduation from college is on the same night as the show in NYC.

=(

There was a chicken suit guy at Gigantour down there? There was someone dressed in a chicken suit during Meshuggah's set in Worcester!

The chicken suit guy went to Gigantour, and to the Dimmu show.

I have to say it was hilarious seeing how all these tough guy metal musicians reacted when they saw him. Especially Dave Mustaine and Vortex from Dimmu Borgir.

:lol:

i was right up in front at Paganfest at Jaxx...i want to know how it happened that somehow they made it through the entire show without the sound guy or anyone else making an announcement about the "no crowd surfing" rule that jaxx has.

Now that you mention it, I am curious myself. I saw that one dude run up on stage and then do a stage dive, which I know for a fact is a big no-no at Jaxx. Didn't see that kid get his ass kicked that tried to shove his way up front, though. Must've happened over on the other side of the room where I was standing.

also, i really want to know if anyone got a picture of the corona bottle that the singer from Turisas had :lol:

You mean something like this? Of all the kinds of beer they had there, they had to give him a friggan Corona?

Turisas

I curse you all for being able to catch Paganfest. My fucking graduation from college is on the same night as the show in NYC.

=(

Since when do schools have night time graduation ceremonies? Man I am behind the times.

Anyways, after geting your diploma, come down in your cap and gown! We'll call you an "educated Viking". :lol::headbang:

Since when do schools have night time graduation ceremonies? Man I am behind the times.

Anyways, after geting your diploma, come down in your cap and gown! We'll call you an "educated Viking". :lol::headbang:

Since when do schools have Thursday weekday graduation ceremonies is the real question. It being on a weekday I can understand it being at night but generally they're on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon so they don't conflict with more important night time things like a Pagan metal fest or getting drunk off your ass because you just graduated.

Now that you mention it, I am curious myself. I saw that one dude run up on stage and then do a stage dive, which I know for a fact is a big no-no at Jaxx. Didn't see that kid get his ass kicked that tried to shove his way up front, though. Must've happened over on the other side of the room where I was standing.

You mean something like this? Of all the kinds of beer they had there, they had to give him a friggan Corona?

Turisas

something like that, yeah, but it'd be nice if you could actually read the label :lol: probably some fan with the feeling that "beer is beer" bought it and passed it to the bassist (who in turn passed it to the singer).

the kid who got his ass kicked was right up front/centerish, near where i was. in your pic, there's a head of longish dark hair at the bottom of the left of the picture, i think that's a friend of mine who i was about 3 people to the left of. he first came up a couple people to my right, and then behind me, even grabbing the cargo pocket on my pants leg to try to pull forward. he was bent over really far though, which may be part of why you couldn't see him.

I think this is what they played in Europe. Not sure about North America.

Gandkvæði Tróndar (intro of the new album)
Sinklars Vísa (new song)
Wings of Time
Hail to the Hammer
Ramund Hin Unge