Top10 Keyboardists

1) Jordan Rudess
2) Keith Emerson
3) Chick Corea

That's about as much as i'd care to put on a list i'm afraid. There are a lot of technically proficient keyboardists around, such as pinella, who do their job really well but don't really go beyond what's required.

I name keyboard players that I like regardless of high tech buggin'

Billy Joel for his first 4 or 5 records
Eddie VanHalen guitar player writing proper keyboard riffs for rock
Ken Hensley, Vincent Crane, Jon Lord & Craig Frost for pounding the Hammond B3...... the right instrument for the job
Jan Hammer for using the synth & improv the right way... take note Emerson
Jon Oliva for his haunting piano work that just made great songs even better

the modern high tech metal players are very talented but I can hardly tell them apart, they are either cloneing early DT w/Kevin Moore albums, playing Yngwie runs or orchestrating metal songs. Myself I like the raw sound of a Hammond against the raw sound of a distorted guitar... or a real piano.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Okay, I get it!

lol lactually that was a mistake, stupid sweedish names...

the modern high tech metal players are very talented but I can hardly tell them apart, they are either cloneing early DT w/Kevin Moore albums, playing Yngwie runs or orchestrating metal songs. Myself I like the raw sound of a Hammond against the raw sound of a distorted guitar... or a real piano.
heh i don't see your logic but i do have to say jens johannson was around much longer than kevin moore.

Ditto. Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure are my two favorites, and largely due to the keys.

Hell yeah! Those are two of the best! Everyone seems to love their 70's stuff the most, but I'll take Distant Early Warning, Enemy Within, and Middletown Dreams over By-Tor, Working Man, and Closer to the Heart any day!

Hold Your Fire is another one of my favorite albums.

I would list 5:headbang:

1.Michael Pinnella
2.The guy plays with steve vai
3.Jordan Rudess
4.Derek Sherinian
5.Janne Warmen

heh i don't see your logic but i do have to say jens johannson was around much longer than kevin moore.

yes, he was - Rising Force 1984, Moore was in Majesty/Dream Theater in 1985 with only the Majesty Demos. Dream and Day Unite wasnt released till '89 but DT didnt really come to fame until I&W in '92. So they were both active in the mid 80's but fame came earlier for Johannson. Not being a keyboard player, Im not sure how much corrolation there is to their playing styles.
Still to me the two names sum it up and everyone after sounds like one or the other or a combination of the two.

Theres no logic in my other preferences, just that what someone is exposed too first usually sticks. I really like the sound of the overdriven Hammond/Leslie and feel it has been a great loss with all the modern electronic devices. Not that I feel current keyboards sound bad, their great tools but sound very electronic.

Someday I suppose the guitar will no longer have strings.

1. Keith Emerson
2. Rick Wakeman
3. Keiko Kumagai (Ars Nova) [http://arsnova.chocot.net/]
4. Toshio Egawa (Gerard)
5. Erik Norlander (Rocket Scientists, Lana Lane, solo) [http://www.thetank.com/]
6. Alfred Mueller (Soniq Theater) [http://www.soniqtheater.de/]
7. Vitalij Kuprij (Artension, ex-Ring Of Fire, solo)
8. Chick Corea (Elektric Band)
9. Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater, solo)
10. Yanni (before he started dating Linda Evans)

Yeah! Yeah! I know you Metalheads have never heard of quite a few of these guys (and one gal).

lol yeah i don't see it either, he's really good but his writihng ability is pretty crap compared to others.

plus that continuium is really fucking annoying.