Voodoo Circle appreciation thread

Oct 4, 2007
Lost in the awesomeness that was the JOP set, as well as the controversy surrounding the restart to the Pain of Salvation show was a very good late afternoon performance by Voodoo Circle.

I didn't know anything about this band when I heard they were playing this year's festival, and the name sounded a bit weird to me. However, I checked out a few videos and enjoyed their sound. Earlier this year, I picked up Broken Heart Syndrome and More than One Way Home, and both albums rocked. Needless to say, they sounded straight from the 80's hard rock scene and would have fit in nicely (if they could get over the comparisons to Whitesnake). Thus, I was looking forward to their set.

And it was a very good one. David Readman really knows how to sing, and his voice is perfect for that style of music. But it was the musicians that blew me away, particularly the guitarist and keyboardist. Unfortunately, the 80's sound may not have been for everyone, as much of the crowd was not fully into the set. However, a killer keyboard/guitar jam session during the slow, blues-tinged "Blind Man" seemed to have won them over. While not a truly classic set, this was a very fine performance, and one that makes me hope they tour the US soon.

Also, the guys in the band were very cool in their signing session, and I got to complement them tremendously. I even said to the singer that if I closed my eyes I could imagine I was back in the 80's again, which he took as the compliment that it was.

Loved their set and spend every moment on the rail. My only complaint was the Zepplin cover - I just don't get that. If they had to do a cover throw us a little PC69 - they have to know a lot of their fans have followed Readman over from PC69. Or keep it simple and play more Voodoo Circle. They have more than enough great material to fill an hour-long set.

Loved their set and spend every moment on the rail. My only complaint was the Zepplin cover - I just don't get that. If they had to do a cover throw us a little PC69 - they have to know a lot of their fans have followed Readman over from PC69. Or keep it simple and play more Voodoo Circle. They have more than enough great material to fill an hour-long set.

Loved their set as well, but also could have lived with that Rock'n'Roll Led Zep cover, which has been played to death by so many bands. A Whitesnake cover would have thrilled me much more.
Also, I was near the stage but more on the left and Alex Beyrodt's guitar sound was way too low and was buried under the keyboard/organ most of the show.

Still, with these minor annoyances, Voodoo Circle was my 2nd fave band of the festival, after Masterplan. I was glad to be able to talk and take pics with Mat and Alex, as I'm a long time fan of all their bands. Both have been very nice and friendly.

Very happy to have seen them live, thanks Glenn for that.

Still, with these minor annoyances, Voodoo Circle was my 2nd fave band of the festival, after Masterplan.

My biggest regret of the whole weekend is that I left my spot on the rail half-way through Masterplan's set to go to the Seventh Wonder signing. I should've just stayed put and enjoyed the once-in-a-lifetime experience. I am now completely over any residual disappointment that Jorn is not in the band any longer.

I loved it, my favorite after JOP and about equal to Masterplan - my only complaint was the guitar sound which was absent for the first two songs - after that, pure heaven! I think
Alex took some notes from John Sykes; anyway, as an "old school" guy I totally appreciated it!!!!!

Before the festival I didn't know much about Voodoo Circle. I listened to "More Than One Way Home" before making the trip to Atlanta, and I thought it was ok. When Voodoo Circle took the stage they blew me away. I really enjoyed it, and especially appreciated the skill with which Alex played the guitar. I really liked the fact that he played some of his songs on a single coil Fender Stratocaster. I think that was the only single coil Strat I saw the entire weekend, and he played it to perfection. I am now a fan, and have since purchased "Broken Heart Syndrome". I look forward to hearing future Voodoo Circle releases.

Before the festival I didn't know much about Voodoo Circle. I listened to "More Than One Way Home" before making the trip to Atlanta, and I thought it was ok. When Voodoo Circle took the stage they blew me away. I really enjoyed it, and especially appreciated the skill with which Alex played the guitar. I really liked the fact that he played some of his songs on a single coil Fender Stratocaster. I think that was the only single coil Strat I saw the entire weekend, and he played it to perfection. I am now a fan, and have since purchased "Broken Heart Syndrome". I look forward to hearing future Voodoo Circle releases.

I was up close; he had a humbucker in the bridge position.

I was up close; he had a humbucker in the bridge position.

Ahh ok. I was up in the seats and my eyes aren't that good. I looked really hard and didn't see a humbucker. I noticed he had a bunch of pedals and thought he had simply channeled the output through those and had altered the usual strat sound. I imagine it was a great experience seeing him play up close like that. At one point he was playing so quietly you could hear a pin drop. Amazing performance.

Voodoo Circle was THE band I was most looking forward to seeing this year! When they were announced I went insane!! I've loved everything David Readman has been involved with and I'm also a big fan of Mat Sinner and Alex Beyrodt as well. I've been a fan of this band since the first album, but never dreamed I'd get the chance to see them live. Thank you Glenn for making that dream come true!

As for doing the Zep cover, that might have been because they had a new drummer and keyboardist. Maybe they didn't have time to learn another VC song but nearly every rock musician knows a Zep cover!

My favorite set, and I loved the Led Zep cover! :headbang:

~Jen

I loved what I heard. I hated the fact that I had to skip out halfway through their set, so I could eat. However, that says a whole lot more about how awesome the lineup this year was, rather than having no interest in Voodoo Circle.