Voodoo Circle

Pelata

FINAL SIGN
Mar 6, 2006
North Carolina
www.facebook.com
I revisited the debut Voodoo Circle this morning and, just, DAMN what a band!! I love Alex's playing blended w/ Readman's vocals. Everyone talked about how their latest album sounded so much like Whitesnake (and it does) but I forgot about how killer the debut was...such a strong band!

I hope they can tone down the Whitesnake influence on the next album and get back to this.

Yeah, there's a hint of that, but I don't know if I'd call it a rehash. That new one, as good as it was, is just SO much like Whitesnake it's hard to take it seriously.

Just a hint? I just listened to the album again, and it just SCREAMS Malmsteen worship (with a heavy dose of Rainbow thrown in). Listen to "Desperate Heart" on Voodoo's debut and tell me if that isn't a blatant rip off/reworking of "Making Love" from Malmsteen's Eclipse album. Beyrodt's Strat sound and just about all of his licks could have been lifted right off of any of Malmsteen's albums.

I find the first VC album to be largely unlistenable as it seems to be mixed/mastered way too hot for my ears, with a hint of high peak distortion that just drives me crazy. I end up listening to that instead of the songs...

There was a great interview with guitarist Alex Beyrodt in the PPUSA XV program where he talks all about his influences and what he was trying to do with Voodoo Circle, and how he takes it as a great compliment when people say VC sounds like Deep Purple, or Rainbow or Whitesnake. Not sure where to find that interview and link it here...?

Just a hint? I just listened to the album again, and it just SCREAMS Malmsteen worship (with a heavy dose of Rainbow thrown in). Listen to "Desperate Heart" on Voodoo's debut and tell me if that isn't a blatant rip off/reworking of "Making Love" from Malmsteen's Eclipse album. Beyrodt's Strat sound and just about all of his licks could have been lifted right off of any of Malmsteen's albums.

Yeah, I can hear the Malmsteen/Blackmore in it for sure. I just don't think it's as obvious as the Whitesnake sound on the new one, that's all.

Why try and take it seriously? It's immensely enjoyable for what it is. I hope they keep it up.

Yeah, I know. I do like the album. It's incredibly well done and well played. I was just listening to the debut today and it really struck me how good it is.

I hadn't really listened to them before progpower. A few songs here and there. Their show was one of the top shows of the fest imo.

I revisited the debut Voodoo Circle this morning and, just, DAMN what a band!! I love Alex's playing blended w/ Readman's vocals. Everyone talked about how their latest album sounded so much like Whitesnake (and it does) but I forgot about how killer the debut was...such a strong band!

I hope they can tone down the Whitesnake influence on the next album and get back to this.

I like all albums but the 1st one is the heaviest and my fave as well.

I find the first VC album to be largely unlistenable as it seems to be mixed/mastered way too hot for my ears, with a hint of high peak distortion that just drives me crazy. I end up listening to that instead of the songs...

There was a great interview with guitarist Alex Beyrodt in the PPUSA XV program where he talks all about his influences and what he was trying to do with Voodoo Circle, and how he takes it as a great compliment when people say VC sounds like Deep Purple, or Rainbow or Whitesnake. Not sure where to find that interview and link it here...?

I didn't mention any specific influences, but when I talked to the guys at the signing booth, I mentioned that when I closed my eyes during their set, I could imagine it was the 80's again, which they seemed to appreciate.

In fact, I'd have to say that VC's set was my second or third favorite of the weekend (behind JOP and possibly Overkill).