Wanna play Ozzfest? Pony up 75 G's

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Interesting article in Metal Hammer (Iron Maiden cover). They interviewed Unearth and in it they remarked how the lower eight bands on Ozzfest's second stage each has to pay $75 000 dollars in order to play on a rotating slot with some performances being at 9 AM. Goddamn. I knew that bands paid alot to be on there but I thought it was in the 30 - 45 thousand dollar range not SEVENTY FIVE. Jesus.

Granted the exposure on Ozzfest = money over time but think about how much some labels sink each year like Century Media with two or sometimes three bands on the second stage. My question is this. Does the label itself foot the bill and recoup the money back through accrued royalties to the artist? Or does the band go in debt out the ass and hope to God someday they can get out of debt?

Think about Lacuna Coil. They did the second stage in 04 so boom 75 large right there. Then there's the string of high budget music videos since, Our Truth, Enjoy The Silence, and now Closer. Videos arent free for artists. NOW think about how much ad space CM has taken out to promote Karmacode in terms of magazine placements and TV spots. Century Media have spent alot on Lacuna and from what I can gather Karmacode is hovering around 100 000 units sold (in the US). To alot of people who claim that bands like LC are huge rock stars they most definitely arent looking at figures like this, at least monetarily.

pay to play is ridiculous to me. The members of Lacuna Coil, for example, are lucky at this point if they bring home $75 K collectively as band.

I've never supported Ozzfest, or thought it was all that great anyway. The only time I've ever been was the year when both Sabbath and Priest played. I couldn't miss seeing both of those bands on the same stage.

Other than that the hell with it.

Only year I went was last year with Sabbath and Maiden.
No way in hell I was going to miss that Maiden setlist, plus I never did check out the reunited Sabbath. (That line-up also had all the big Swedish melodo-death bands like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Haunted, etc who I wouldn't go see at their own gigs these days).

I am sure some bands have benefited some from playing Ozzfest, but probably financially not enough to cover what they "paid to play"

I'm surprised to find out that bands have to pay to play Ozzfest! :OMG: I just assumed that bands were invited. I've never been to Ozzfest, nor have I had the desire to go. 99% of the bands that have played over the history of Ozzfest I wouldn't buy their discs out of the bargain bin, much less see them live.

Jasonic said:
That line-up also had all the big Swedish melodo-death bands like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Haunted, etc who I wouldn't go see at their own gigs these days

I used to like you!

Arch Enemy put on a hell of a show at Gigantour last weekend.

The only Ozzfest I went to was the one in 1997... with Manson, Pantera, Megadeth, and Type O Negative and Drain STH. Great freaking show! But then again anyshow that has TON I'll love

-Metal

Jasonic said:
Only year I went was last year with Sabbath and Maiden.
No way in hell I was going to miss that Maiden setlist, plus I never did check out the reunited Sabbath. (That line-up also had all the big Swedish melodo-death bands like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Haunted, etc who I wouldn't go see at their own gigs these days).

I am sure some bands have benefited some from playing Ozzfest, but probably financially not enough to cover what they "paid to play"

wasn't that Maiden setlist abbreviated to like 9-10 songs?
Any Maiden show with less than 15 songs is poolah.

MetalRose said:
I used to like you!

Arch Enemy put on a hell of a show at Gigantour last weekend.

The only Ozzfest I went to was the one in 1997... with Manson, Pantera, Megadeth, and Type O Negative and Drain STH. Great freaking show! But then again anyshow that has TON I'll love

-Metal

You don't like me anymore??? :cry:
I am not anti-Arch Enemy or anything.
It's just the past few tours they have done have been very blah
(IE - Opening for Cradle of Filth, Gigantour, touring with metalcore bands, etc).

sinerchris said:
wasn't that Maiden setlist abbreviated to like 9-10 songs?
Any Maiden show with less than 15 songs is poolah.

It was more than 10 songs.
They played only material from the first four albums.
The majority of the set was material routinely performed from those albums, but also some rarities such as "Murders in the Rue Morgue"

$75K to play 30-40 minutes :rolleyes:

The fans are paying close to $100 a tickets.

I only made it to one Ozzfest and I WILL never go back. For me to take the wife and kids (2) its going to cost me $500+ for tickets and parking/food/drinks etc. Then add on the $30-40 shirts cost. I think my Cancun vacation and Bahama Cruise ran about the same for my wife and I.

I read another article about Ozzfest and pay to play. After hearing that it makes sense that the recent Ozzfest show was not anything special. This past Ozzfest seems to of had a very lack luster feel to it. This could also be to the way Sharon handled Maiden. Not many established bands or record companies are going to let that sort of thing happen again. Having gone to the first two Ozzfests and gone to the past one the difference was noticeable. Gigantour this year was great though. All the bands were in top form and to see Overkill back was something else. :Shedevil:

Isn't Sharon Osbourne in charge of Ozzfest? Why would she need to charge a band 75K to play? Like her or her family needs MORE money.

StewiesSexyParties said:
Isn't Sharon Osbourne in charge of Ozzfest? Why would she need to charge a band 75K to play? Like her or her family needs MORE money.

I think the better question is "Why WOULDN'T she charge the bands?"
She knows the bands / labels will pay, so why not?
Granted, most bands lose money doing it, but hopefully will recover slightly with increased album sales and future tour opportunities.

Look how many tours bands like Trivium and Mastodon have gotten since doing Ozzfest.......

I don't know how much Lacuna Coil each make a year, but a few of them have their own places and none of them have or need day jobs.

Empress said:
I don't know how much Lacuna Coil each make a year, but a few of them have their own places and none of them have or need day jobs.

I am shocked they haven't signed to a major label.
If nothing else, take the sign-on bonus and run!!!!!! :headbang:

This is not a knock on any of the bands that have played ozzfest - I dont like alot of the "nu" stle bands - but if the labels are willing to pay it - you know Sharon is gonna ask for/take it (cleaning up dog crap off the carpets isnt cheap you know). I just wonder if this isnt a bit like the payola scandal whereby record companies paid off djs to play crap just because they knew with enough exposure and spins - any piece of crap would be considered a "hit".

My cynical 2 cents,
jeff

I don't agree with the pay-to-play concept. But I also cant fault Sharon for doing it since she doesnt hold anyone at gunpoint to do it. It's virtually impossible to get large groups of people to do anything for their own benefit these days, but thats what it would take. All the decent bands out there would need to collectively say, "fuck off," to Sharon. But we all know that won't even come close to happening. So I'm guessing in a year or two, they'll be looking at $100k to play.