which 'era' of Porucpine Tree do you prefer?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
PTree has changed over the years....with their latest incarnation being their most metallic, of course.

But which 'era' of PTree do you prefer?

For me, the "Signify", "Stupid Dream", "Recordings" and "Lightbulb Sun" is their best era. The melodies, emotion and 'drama' are at their thickest here. "Sun" is just amazing, to these ears.

I, do, of course, love the most recent two discs, but I just think they're a hair behind the aforementioned ones.

Do you prefer their more metallic offerings? Or, heck, even the very experimental early days of the band?

Listening to Lightbulb Sun right now.

"Shesmovedon" "Feel So Low" and "Where We Would Be" are landmark songs for me, very touching. Overall, my favorite album though is In Absentia.

Still, they are a diverse band and I like all their music, though my least favorite is Deadwing.

For me it changes a lot. Which is a credit to their discography I guess. But Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are the first albums I got into when I found out about them so those albums have all my "Hey I found this new awesome band!" memories attached to them.

While we're in a Porcupine Tree thread again, has anyone actually bought the re-released versions of their old stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways? I own the normal version but I hear they re-released it with live drums instead of a drum machine. I'm just curious if there is someone who has heard both and who can give their opinion on it.

Lightbulb Sun is also my favourite album, it may not be their proggy'est work but the song writing is top notch and it is oh so emotional. I love the solo on 'Shesmovedon'. I cant really tell which style I prefer though.

'aven't heard their old stuff to be honest.. have to order it in so it's a hassle.. and I'm poor.. I have In Absentia and Deadwing, out of the two I prefer In Absentia, I think.. but I like Deadwing aswell..... oh, I also have Voyage 34 (they had this, but nothing else - go figure!).. I enjoy it..

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun era. Two of the best albums ever made.

CAIRATH said:
While we're in a Porcupine Tree thread again, has anyone actually bought the re-released versions of their old stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways? I own the normal version but I hear they re-released it with live drums instead of a drum machine. I'm just curious if there is someone who has heard both and who can give their opinion on it.
You're thinking of Up the Downstair. Yes I have the reissue, and yes it is good :headbang:

I think my favorite album is In Absentia, but really, all the albums from Signify to Deadwing could be my favorite just as easily.

They are a very good band! Personally, this is a very tough question for me to answer. As of now I would have to say that In Absentia is my favorite by them. Has the most to it (variety wise).

Recently I've been getting quite sick of PT's over-polished soundscapes and their playing style, which is almost too professional. It somehow feels they don't have the "edge" I want to hear in music, be it metal, prog or whatever. Well, maybe I'll someday like them more again. My fave album is In Absentia, though generally I like the early/mid era most (ca. The Sky Moves Sideways/Signify etc.), you know, the last few Delerium albums.
The album I listen to most is the Stars Die -compilation, which I think is very good.
I think I'm quite alone in not liking the later/mid era (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun) at all. Just too "pop" for my tastes.

The Sky Moves Sideways is and probably will remain my favorite PT album. The other stuff around that time like up the downstair is really cool too.

Still dig the stuff from Stupid Dream on, but it started to move into a more pop-oriented, AOR vibe.

SMS had a great pink floyd vibe, long drawn-out tracks (which we Opeth fans love!) spacy ambient feel and tight instrumentation. That always does it for me.

I'm a huge fan of PT.
I don't prefer any particular era of their music. That is the beauty of enjoying a band that has explored and grown so much over the years - there is a rich well of music of all types to suit whatever mood you are in.
Sometimes I will listen to Sky Moves for weeks on end, other times I will listen to Deadwing. All PT albums are fantastic.
...by the way, going to see tem on Friday night :headbang: