Zero Hour's new album, and ProgPower 7 performance

I am still to find a band that's as easily approachable, attentious and fucking KICK ASS guys to hang out with than Zero Hour!!

They're right up there among the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met in my life. Jay, Troy and Mike I know since ProgPower III and Chris I met at the airport yesterday and I am most looking forward to seeing them kick ass in Brooklyn NY next month.

VenomGA said:
I left during their first song, they were boring the shit out of me. sorry

No need to apologize to us....YOU'RE the one that missed the best set of the night!! :headbang:

I have to say, though...if you're not familiar with their music, I can see it being hard to get into from a live performance (though I thought they were amazing). (1) you don't know the songs, (2) you don't know the style, (3) you have no motivation to watch them because of this.

With Zero Hour, the music is very complex, so it's going to take several listens before you really "get it." Trust me, though...their music (esp. the new CD) is amazing, and if you'd stayed for the whole show, you might have realized that. C'est la vie.

Craig

I ain't throwing any hate mail or complaints at anyone about these guys. They're a tough cookie to chew on. But for me, the cookie finally crumbled, and I "get" them.

Much the same way I "got" Freak Kitchen once I saw them live. The "nonsense lyrics and simple riffs" I heard in the online sample songs didn't do a thing for me, cuz I thought they were too goofy and not really powerful enough for me. WHOAH was I wrong!

But you have to "get" a band in order to dig stuff like this. This ain't your cookie-cutter 80's glam metal shit by far!

BlindPanzer said:
SO is it better than Towers?

I personally was bothered by the high pitched vocals, and I personally like a lot of bands with that type of singing, I just don't think it fits the particular band sound.

Really? I think it's a perfect fit. Honestly, though, I also thought that a TON of the vocals from the new songs Saturday night were in the upper part of Chris' stratospheric range, but now that I've listened to the new CD about 4 times, they're really not. I'm thinking maybe he bumped some of the parts up an octave for the show, or maybe they just did the songs with the most high vocals?

Either way, to answer your question: Yes, I think it's better than Towers, and not just because I prefer Chris as a singer over Erik (who was also very good). I think that the songwriting is even better, too...and I loved Towers!!

Craig

Virtual Scott said:
Here's my thing: they should apply a stronger sense of composition on the next CD more closely with repeating vocal melodies, I think that would work wonders and probably more people would really find them digestable.

I kinda agree with you. It'd be great to have a few really catchy songs that can grab the casual listener, and draw them into the far more challenging stuff. But I don't want them to sacrifice their amazing ideas and crazy abilities just to gain an audience. If they can find a balance point, then by all means! But I don't want them to "dumb it down" and lose the appeal of their incredible skill level. If they can build songs with a more user-friendly backbone, but still cake on the layers of noodliness, I'd be even further impressed.

Is noodliness a word? The fuck am I talking aboot? Jasun, you can slap me if you need.

sccaldwell said:
No need to apologize to us....YOU'RE the one that missed the best set of the night!! :headbang:

(1) you don't know the songs, (2) you don't know the style, (3) you have no motivation to watch them because of this.

With Zero Hour, the music is very complex, Trust me, though...their music (esp. the new CD) is amazing, and if you'd stayed for the whole show, you might have realized that. C'est la vie.

Craig

CRAIG you said it best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldnt have said it better myself:worship: :worship: :worship: :headbang: :headbang:

I mean, they sure did have some catchy choruses on the last album, A Fragile Mind. I was hoping to see a few of them live, but it didn't happen. =(

Virtual Scott said:
Anyhow, I hope my constructive criticism as well as compliments aren't taken the wrong way, but if they are, well... there's a few full cans of whoop ass on the shelf at Albertsons and they're just a SHOP skip and a jump away. I probably should invest in flame-retardant materials starting with this post! ;-)

While I disagree with some of your points ("lack of melody in the vocals, "especially), you were polite about it and explained your view with some suggestions instead of just "this sucks".

Having said that...:)... Really? I actually think Specs has the best vocal melodies of any ZH release, and not just because I think Chris has an amazing voice. Maybe you just need a couple more listens? If that doesn't do it, then I guess that's just the way of opinions... :loco:

Craig

sccaldwell said:
While I disagree with some of your points ("lack of melody in the vocals, "especially),

Having said that...:)... Really? I actually think Specs has the best vocal melodies of any ZH release, and not just because I think Chris has an amazing voice.

Craig

Craig, u might as well speak for me too. It has tons of melody everywhere!

i also think SPECS OF PICTURES BURNTY BEYOND IS F***IN AWESOME

ZHJ&T said:
YOU ALL RULE!!

Thanks, but YOU are the ones that rule!! :headbang:

You guys kicked my ass so hard Saturday night that I can *still* barely sit down!!! :lol: Seriously, man...AMAZING show!!

Zero Hour is not only one of the most talented bands around, but also the coolest, nicest, and most appreciative of their fans. On top of that, you guys are complete professionals....a true class act (which you've proven AGAIN in your message), and I'm glad to know you.

I'm still hoping to make it up to Virginia for the Jaxx show in November...I'll let you know, and hopefully see you there!

Craig

Does anybody see the resemblance of growth with Zero Hour as with Fates Warning when Ray Alder stepped in?
Erik was great for the early ZH,but I can't see him singing these tunes as well as Chris. It is definitely a progression for ZH in terms of melody,song stuctures and overall accessibility on the Progressive metal scene.Chris brings an awesome sense of melody to the music,and the feeling just pours out on all of the new songs.The music has newfound depth and this is a great representation of where we can see ZH going in the future,and the future is looking great for these guys

One quick question about the production of the new ZH.

It was mixed and produced by Dino Alden again, right?

How does it compare to A Fragile Mind sonically? AFM was significantly warmer and more melodic than Towers whose production is among the greatest of all prog.

Does the new ZH have more of a Towers of AFM kind of "sound"?

I look forward to hearing this album.

ThXinc said:
Sorry to disagree with some, Zero Hour was just about the only band who didnt' do anything for me.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever spend any time listening to their discs? Music created as complex as Zero Hour's isn't instant. As a matter of fact, I would suspect that most of their biggest fans (me included) didn't hear a Zero Hour song for the first time and just start singing along with it the second time they heard the chorus. It's not designed to be instant. If you're so inclined, put on headphones, sit back with the lyrics and pay close attention. If it doesn't grab you, revisit it a couple days later. If you still don't get it, come back to it in a few weeks. Perhaps it will never hit you. However, if it does, it will most likely become a CD you never grow tired of. I can honestly say I spin "Towers" more than any other disc recorded this decade. It's just timeless. I'm only half way through my second spin of "Specs" and I hear many of the same qualities I love in "Towers". I can't wait to hear what I uncover with each listen.:worship:

Zod

sccaldwell said:
Really? I think it's a perfect fit. Honestly, though, I also thought that a TON of the vocals from the new songs Saturday night were in the upper part of Chris' stratospheric range, but now that I've listened to the new CD about 4 times, they're really not. I'm thinking maybe he bumped some of the parts up an octave for the show, or maybe they just did the songs with the most high vocals?

Either way, to answer your question: Yes, I think it's better than Towers, and not just because I prefer Chris as a singer over Erik (who was also very good). I think that the songwriting is even better, too...and I loved Towers!!

Craig

When Erik left ZH, I was heartbroken. They had such a perfect fit, I thought him irreplaceable. But to steal a line from my brother, " I thought nobody could fill Erik Rosvolds' shoes, Chris just did".

Hey Batmura I noticed you asked about the production in regards to Specs
and Dino did an amazing job on the disc. The mix is warmer than Towers and I loved the master mix Dino submitted to Allan for mastering. What's crazy is I haven't heard the mastering version of the CD and not one member in ZH has a copy of "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond". (All of us must have been very tired and forgot to get our copies off Ken but we'll have them soon). I was told the mastered copy sounds very good so I'm very excited to hear the end result. If everyone who has listen to the disc thinks the end result sounds KILLER then I'm STOKED!!!!

This is a ton of fun reading this thread and appreciate all the support from everyone. YOU ALL RULE and sccaldwell I thank you and everyone who picked up the disc and hope enjoy it for a long time.

METAL!!

Jasun/ZH

I can't take the new album out of my mind. It is a great piece of prog art. Regarding Chris high pitch, insane, I love it. You don't find many guys that could be so versatile regarding their vocal range. I hadn't heard Zero Hour before PP VIII, and definately all of a sudden, I can't get their CD out of my audio player.
To the guys in ZH, best of luck. Not only did you have a great performance, but your humbleness will always take you one step forward everytime. Thank you for your show and time to share with us, YOUR FANS.

Jeez... I shoulda asked you guys to sign mine. It woulda been a little like when Pain of Salvation got the first look at a US release copy of "Be" (featured on the Behind the Scenes DVD, for those who have it). They looked at it, but didn't actually take that copy. I have it. I had to buy it... :headbang:

The disc sounds fantastic, guys! Your production has always been awesome. I thought it was a kick-ass show, and I'm glad to see some other people have given this band a real listen. Zero Hour was one of only a few prog bands at this year's show (Theocracy and Circus Maximus as well, right? I think that's kinda it).

Chris Salinas was amazing on both the new and old stuff. I was wondering how he would handle some of it... I was impressed.

Great show! Thanks guys! :kickass: