At the Gates

llamaking

A Souless Elegy
Sep 10, 2007
If i could only get one, which cd should i get?

With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, The Red Sky Is Ours, or Terminal Spirit Disease.

But Gardens of Grief and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness are both worthy purchases as well.

I would start with the Gardens of Grief e.p split with all the Grotesque demo's which are essential in terms of extreme metal. I personally think With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness sucks is boring and sounds like shit.

1. Gardens of Grief
2. The Red In The Sky Is Ours
3. Slaughter of The Soul

Frankly, I'd say:
1. With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness (Brilliant)
2. Slaughter of The Soul (I don't understand why everyone hates this)
3. Terminal Spirit Disease (Solid)
4. The Red In The Sky Is Ours (Good, but I don't understand what the big deal is)

I like With Fear.. and Terminal Spirit Disease best but as was just said, I can't see how you could like either of these and then hate SotS.

Slaughter of the Soul is such an awful album.

I thought it was a bland album at first and it really hit me, the guitars on the album sound very good being fluent and are very bright and crunchy while still having the low end and really bring out the intensity of the band. Slaughter of The Soul is a neat album and it's very focused and the band focuses more on standing out certain riffs so you remember them because they hit you. With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness is the worst sounding ATG and the band is going overly melodic and there is to many ideas that just go nowhere at all and the harmonizing is bad. Slaughter of The Soul sounds very good and is not overproduced and the guitars still have the raw heavy crunchy sound actually resembling Grotesque just with a more modern sound. ATG sounds better when they are heavier and more intence and rocking out. WFIKTBD is tedious as it gets.

I thought it was a bland album at first and it really hit me, the guitars on the album sound very good being fluent and are very bright and crunchy while still having the low end and really bring out the intensity of the band. Slaughter of The Soul is a neat album and it's very focused and the band focuses more on standing out certain riffs so you remember them because they hit you. With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness is the worst sounding ATG and the band is going overly melodic and there is to many ideas that just go nowhere at all and the harmonizing is bad. Slaughter of The Soul sounds very good and is not overproduced and the guitars still have the raw heavy crunchy sound actually resembling Grotesque just with a more modern sound. ATG sounds better when they are heavier and more intence and rocking out. WFIKTBD is tedious as it gets.

:lol:

Hmm, I don't even like At the Gates, but I guess The Red in the Sky is the best. Or if you want, the trooest(haha). It's quite interesting. The rest is meh, imo.

I cannot understand how The Greys can sit here and say WFIKTBD is shit and then go on to praise SotS. Hell, The Break of Autumn off of the former has more higher quality riffs in that song alone than the entirety of SotS.

Also, their is very little harmonizing in the traditional sense on WFIKTBD, usually the band opts for a slightly more complex (and more rewarding) counterpoint methodology. T

why do you people not like slaughter?

i think its at least average, if not good-great.

It's not that Slaughter is a bad album, but it simply isn't up to par with what At The Gates was before that. It's more or less recommended that he gets the first four releases before considering Slaughter.