How the fuck do I meet other metalheads?

I've run into enough acne-ridden constantly-scowling camo-panted tr00-Gorgoroth-patched black metal guys, ponytailed anorexic computer-lab-inhabiting Sonata Arctica fans, and chubby denim-vested Individual Thought Patterns-wearing 18 year olds to not bother seeking any more out. I only associate with non-physically-repulsive individuals, and thankfully on internet forums I don't need to know what you guys look like. Although I did come across this really hunky blonde guy wearing an Unquestionable Presence t-shirt and Ray-Bans. I regret not getting his number, but we were just talking in opposite directions likely between classes and couldn't think of a good pick-up line.

EDIT: Oh, and there was this one cutie that looked like an older version of the kid from Terminator 2/American History X wearing a Hirax t-shirt, and he was in a class across the hall of mine. Only saw him once though.

I once saw a buff blonde guy in Ray-Bans wearing an Atheist t-shirt. He's confident sexual aura prevented me from approaching.

You posted this on the first page of this thread. I do find some of these posts of yours fascinating though."I only associate with non-physically-repulsive individuals"

Didn't realize that this was a necro, lol.

I'll add that at a Metal Church/Armored Saint show I just saw, most of the dudes were in their 40s at least and were wearing business-related t-shirts. One guy even had a Hewlett-Packard t-shirt and he cradled his beer autistically the whole show. That's the kind of metalhead I want to be when I grow up. Fuck try-hards.

I used to have a vast majority of metal friends. Nowdays I pretty much never hang out of metal people anymore. Still talk to Hell Mike and Erik on IRC though, but they live like 1000 km away from me so never hang out really.

I once picked up a Finnish girl at a cruise when I was wearing a Saint Vitus shirt, she pretended knowing what it was to impress me (it was obvious she lied and had no idea). 'Vitus always wins, both in the mixtape game and IRL.

I've run into enough acne-ridden constantly-scowling camo-panted tr00-Gorgoroth-patched black metal guys, ponytailed anorexic computer-lab-inhabiting Sonata Arctica fans, and chubby denim-vested Individual Thought Patterns-wearing 18 year olds to not bother seeking any more out. I only associate with non-physically-repulsive individuals, and thankfully on internet forums I don't need to know what you guys look like. Although I did come across this really hunky blonde guy wearing an Unquestionable Presence t-shirt and Ray-Bans. I regret not getting his number, but we were just talking in opposite directions likely between classes and couldn't think of a good pick-up line.

lmao, great post. Those types of people are basically all I see at local metal shows these days. Unless I go to a grind show or something, and then it's usually full of white trashy redneck types who chain smoke cigarettes between sets, look like they would give you a disease if you make contact with them in the pit, and are fucking wasted on something. Id rather hang out with no one if these are my choices.

Didn't realize that this was a necro, lol.

I'll add that at a Metal Church/Armored Saint show I just saw, most of the dudes were in their 40s at least and were wearing business-related t-shirts. One guy even had a Hewlett-Packard t-shirt and he cradled his beer autistically the whole show. That's the kind of metalhead I want to be when I grow up. Fuck try-hards.

Im already slowing turning into that guy who seems detached from the metal scene, standing in the back with his expensive frequency flattening earplugs while holding a beer in his hand and mildly nodding his head to denote placation. Then when the metal starts piercing my soul (or the beers), I snap out of my late-twenties-yet-already-middle-aged contentedness, go out on the floor and start headbanging wildly and moshing. The metal scene will be over when everyone in the crowd is middle aged and just standing there watching the show. Back when I saw Exodus earlier this year (I think it was this year, lol), I saw a guy who had to be in his mid-50's still trying to add life to the crowd by moshing and headbanging. That will hopefully be me when im his age.

Ive never had a problem finding people into metal around here. Fortunately I still go to shows with the friend that got me into metal back in middle school, though unfortunately our group dwindled from the 6 of us to just us two now. Ill probably stop going to shows if he moves away to Colorado like he has been planning on doing for the past couple of years, but so far im content just having one friend that I can talk about music with on an enthusiast level.

Most of the 'metal heads' I've met IRL have shit taste, have good taste but shit personalities, or are cool folks with cool taste who suffer from 'balls deep in the scene' syndrome. Making them less approachable if you're an adult who isn't still convinced the bands gonna make it.

Reactions: The Butt and CiG
Most of the 'metal heads' I've met IRL have shit taste, have good taste but shit personalities, or are cool folks with cool taste who suffer from 'balls deep in the scene' syndrome. Making them less approachable if you're an adult who isn't still convinced the bands gonna make it.

Yeah, generally the people with the best taste are perfectionist arseholes for whom half the appeal of music is the feeling of pleasurable contempt aroused by knowing your taste is better than everyone else's.

I can't be bothered with pretentiousness. I use to be more into the scene here but I find if you want friends (you know, ones that aren't completely shitty human beings) here that are into metal it's really difficult. The girls can be a little snooty and mean girl like and legit say shit like "you can't sit with us" to people. That's not my personality at all. The guys are just as bad. I once was having a conversation with one dude and in the middle of it he goes, "wait we aren't going to have sex right?" And the look on my face must of been somewhere along the lines of what the fuck, and he said "okay just checking" and ended the conversation right there :lol:

Tldr; some really shitty people into metal and I just can't be bothered to scrap through to find one decent person. I still hang out with a few nice/interesting metal heads but we usually have tons of stories about shitty ones we encounter.

Edit: I also would rather save my money and go places like travel or something then to waste it at a shitty dive bar every weekend. Buy your own booze and enjoy your records/CDs at home with friends. Much cheaper. Not saying to never go to a bar because I do sometimes but not frequently anymore at all

Last edited:
I once was having a conversation with one dude and in the middle of it he goes, "wait we aren't going to have sex right?" And the look on my face must of been somewhere along the lines of what the fuck, and he said "okay just checking" and ended the conversation right there :lol:

Tbh the world would probably be a much more laid back place if everyone was like this. There's a kind of brute honesty to that that you've got to respect.

Speak for yourselves. I've made a truckload of amazing friends through the metal scene. Some of them are better friends than others, but most of them aren't elitist assholes that shoot down anything you like right off the bat.

It also helps that you surround yourself with friends that like the same taste in music as you. It's like a badge of honor to wear a Cirith Ungol patch. You see someone with one and you immediately know they are a cool dude. Like you can tell who are your friends when you put on a random Thin Lizzy song on the jukebox and people got nuts.

i grew up with friends who liked metal among other things but weren't metalheads, just a total bunch of unclassifiable oddballs really. my close friendship group contained a dude who liked metallica, black sabbath, drudkh, air and sigur ros. another guy who liked windir, iced earth, godspeed you! black emperor and electric six. another who liked judas priest and godawful trendy indie rock like the automatic. another who liked metallica, opeth, the rolling stones and funkadelic. another who liked darkthrone and they might be giants. the list fucking goes on lol

that description also fits me i guess, i never comfortably fit into rigidly defined subcultures even if i share their passions. i have made some good friends who were metalheads and lived with a few but they're a minority.