How the fuck do I meet other metalheads?

My ex homosexual friend was big into Theatre of Tragedy and some other goth metal. Not sure if I've ever mentioned that. Otherwise I've never had friends that were into metal iirc. I remember telling everyone about how awesome Master of Puppets was in 5th grade and pretty much everyone would ignore me except one kid who was an amazing person I wasn't worthy of being friends with who gave them a chance and then tried to get me into Neil Young and I was like "lmao country music lmao".

Tbh the world would probably be a much more laid back place if everyone was like this. There's a kind of brute honesty to that that you've got to respect.

I mean it took some time to register as hilarious but it definitely was.

that description also fits me i guess, i never comfortably fit into rigidly defined subcultures even if i share their passions. i have made some good friends who were metalheads and lived with a few but they're a minority.

Agreed with this. I love metal and been listening to extreme metal for over 12 years now but I don't really fit the mold at all. Just do your own thing for sure never been the one who needed validation either. Got a few good friends who are into metal and ones who aren't good friends say and do hilarious shit i could laugh at. Win win

Last edited:
Reactions: Internally Deformed
Two of my metal friends are gone and one in jail for armed robbery.

So now I have to take solace in that my wife likes Candlemass and apparently Manowar when I was playing Hail to England on our long car ride last weekend.

Reactions: CiG
For some reason I didn't see the parenthesis around wife. Thought you meant his actual wife. Ha.

Just strike up a conversation with anyone you see wearing a metal-t-shirt. I know that sounds simple but it still took me fucking years until I found someone who was actually connected to some kind of a local music scene. Also depends on where you live.

The only metalhead friends I have are you guys
My guess is it's overwhelmingly male membership on there and all the females are the ugly ones since the pretty metalhead wimminz are usually taken.
Does that make me ugly then hmmmmmmmmmmm. If you you think you're so hot then where's your metal loving girlfriend? Hmph 😡

The city I live closest to is almost notorious for not having a metal scene but it started to grow a little bit a few years ago. Pretty insufferable people to be around for the most part. I'm not even sure if they're still active anymore but one of the bands was subpar black/death metal with some of the most horrible and out-of-place vocals I've ever heard. The band members despite being unsigned and mocked on the NWN boards when it was still active behave like uptight rock stars. I guess when a scene is as small as this one you feel a bit more like you're in the spotlight for simply existing.

Whatever. There are other bands and genuinely cool people in the area. I just don't really like going to shows anymore, or being associated with any kind of scene or whatever. Live music is an overhyped experience in general.

The live music experience depends mainly on the venue/crowd size I think. I'll give it plenty of hype here in NZ if talking about indoor shows played to between 50 to 500 people. It helps that I've learnt to just enjoy the moment in life more in recent years. But seeing Mr. Bungle play Auckland Town Hall (1500 capacity or so) reminded me that shows can be a lot more hit-and-miss the larger they get. It was good fun as expected, but in the floor area it's a pain trying to find somewhere to stand that's a good compromise between where it sounds alright vs getting a reasonable view. I think most of the 15+ people I knew there would say they loved it more than I did.