The Dark Tranquillity song survivor (revisited)

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
Just to warn you all, another DT song survivor is on its way. The results of the last one were left open on purpose, to keep the next one more interesting. Lethe and Hedon were left in a semi-tie state at the end of the previous survivor.

For those who don't know, the basic rules are that all original DT songs are paired up, then one pair is voted off by elimination method by the members, and a new pair is found for the next round, with the amount of songs halved every round. At current, it seems Villain will run this, but others are open for nomination.

Yes, I have spent a couple of thoughts on this one. The main problem as of now seems to be: there are over 70 songs, whereas the ideal number should be either 64 or 128 (for obvious reasons). So, either we need to 1. "pre-kill" a dozen or so songs, 2. wait till DT make exactly 128 songs (and if that is passed, the next number is 256 :p), or 3. find some other way to get around this. Any suggestions are welcome. I had been thinking of "pairs" of more than two (the infamous third party...) on some rounds so that the number of songs could hit 32, 16, 8, or so...

About the system, I will pair the songs (or groups) totally by random, which will probably bring some rather interesting results in the first few rounds (for example, what if Hedon and Lethe were paired on the first round!) - this may feel a bit too harsh, but there will be hard decisions in this kind of survivors anyway, so why spare all of them to the last couple of rounds?

-Villain (very tired, soon going to bed...)

Just did some quick counting. There are 70 song alltogether, if you only count original album tracks for European/American releases. This is excluding the Jap bonus tracks for the last 3 albums and Alone 94 (I, Deception is not excluded however). To cut this down to 64, first I would take out the three instrumentals (ex nihilo, tmi, archetype), and fuse Mine is... with Of Melancholy. That would take it down to 66. As much as it pains me, the next logical deduction would be Razorfever and Shadowlit Facade. Since so few people have heard them, they would almost be guaranteed to be lost in the first round. That would be a rather harsh way of weeding the numbers to 64, but the most logical.

I, Deception *is* included with this method. Here's the list of excluded tracks:

-Cornered
-Exposure
-The Poison Well
-Alone '94

-The Mind's Eye
-Archetype
-Ex Nihilo
-Shadowlit Facade
-Razorfever
-Mine is the Grandeur (included as part of Of Melancholy...)

Bringing us a total of 64.

my suggestion is the same as the last time: i like survivor polls like the ones hearse did some time ago. dividing songs in 4 random groups and taking one song out at a time, then reassembling the survivors in 3, 2, 1 poll. it's rather long and thread-consuming, but there's not much we can do until the new album comes out. :p

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin
my suggestion is the same as the last time: i like survivor polls like the ones hearse did some time ago. dividing songs in 4 random groups and taking one song out at a time, then reassembling the survivors in 3, 2, 1 poll. it's rather long and thread-consuming, but there's not much we can do until the new album comes out. :p

rahvin.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Of course we wouldn't finish the survivor untill early 2003 (I did the math), but at least we have something to do while waiting for the DVD... And this way all songs, including the demos, bonuses, and covers could be included.

Okay, Rahvin's idea seems good to me as well (the way to cheat in the polls has been fixed, right?). Unless something else comes up, I'll do it next weekend.

-Villain (still one essay to be written for tomorrow, and here I am, counting the DT-songs...)

Originally posted by Ormir
Some things are destined to failure.

some things were never meant to be ;)

Sounds great tho, looking forward to this mega survivor melee battle of the ages :D

F_V (CRIMSON WINNNNNNNDS)

Originally posted by Ormir
Accetable is not a word.

:tickled:

-Villain (who got lots of praise for his essay today - which was rather surprising considering that I finished it at about 3.00 am and once I woke up a couple of hours later I had no idea of what I had written...)