2012 half year list

I listen to music when working, driving (as long as the wife is not in the car), walking the dog. Basically, whenever I am not interacting with someone directly, I can listen to music if I so desire.

New releases do occasionally make my list of all-time faves, but those are usually in my top 5 of that given year. I am perfectly okay with albums being just worthwhile. Though I would gladly trade every rethrash album I own for even one of my beloved classic thrash albums, I do not have to make that choice. And even though I love that classic thrash album, I really don't want to listen to it all the time. I am addicted to seeking out music that is new to me, even if the style is very old.

I used to lament buying a CD, listening to it several times during its year of release and then letting it sit on a shelf for years. This no longer bothers me for a few reasons.

(1) I like novelty and variety. I realize that I usually prefer to hear something that I don't know by heart. In order for things to be novel, I must constantly acquire new discs. Novelty fades, leaving many discs less valuable to me, but they have still provided value. As I revisited discs this year, I proved to myself that most of these discs still retain some value even though they have not been played for years.

(2) The cost of a CD is slightly more than eating lunch at a restaurant and slightly less than seeing a movie in the theater while munching on popcorn and drinking pop. Eating at restaurants and seeing movies are time-limited experiences, but a CD is the gift that keeps on giving. Plus, I am supporting the musicians that create something I love. Why would I lament the cost of a CD given the other targets for my expendable income?

i cant listen to music while i am working but beside that i listen to music the rest of the time...

walking the dog
working at home
using the internet at home

oh dude, I listen to music ALL DAY LONG while at work (from 9-11 hours a day). Of course, I work on a computer so it helps to pass the time.

oh dude, I listen to music ALL DAY LONG while at work (from 9-11 hours a day). Of course, I work on a computer so it helps to pass the time.

On a usual work day, I have a 50-60 minutes commute (total back and forth), so most of the time it's music in the car (and some talk radio when it's interesting). At the job, I work alone in a lab, so it's talk radio until 10-10:30 AM, then it's music till 5 PM. So, I'd say I play music at least 6 to 7 hours a day.

I'm a bit like Pirage (Firebreath) cause I always like to hear new music, but I also like to listen to older stuff. Quite a lot in fact. Classics from the 70s-80-90-00s along with the brand new stuff.

On a usual work day, I have a 50-60 minutes commute (total back and forth), so most of the time it's music in the car (and some talk radio when it's interesting). At the job, I work alone in a lab, so it's talk radio until 10-10:30 AM, then it's music till 5 PM. So, I'd say I play music at least 6 to 7 hours a day.

I'm a bit like Pirage (Firebreath) cause I always like to hear new music, but I also like to listen to older stuff. Quite a lot in fact. Classics from the 70s-80-90-00s along with the brand new stuff.
I have 4 iPods (3 of which are full) plus my iPhone that house TONS of music. My Latest iPod classic has nothing but new music on it.

I used to lament buying a CD, listening to it several times during its year of release and then letting it sit on a shelf for years. This no longer bothers me for a few reasons.

(1) I like novelty and variety. I realize that I usually prefer to hear something that I don't know by heart. In order for things to be novel, I must constantly acquire new discs. Novelty fades, leaving many discs less valuable to me, but they have still provided value. As I revisited discs this year, I proved to myself that most of these discs still retain some value even though they have not been played for years.
I never really thought about it in that context, but must say, my perspective is very similar.

I have 4 iPods (3 of which are full) plus my iPhone that house TONS of music. My Latest iPod classic has nothing but new music on it.

As I'm playing lots of music in my car, I bought a Pioneer DVD player http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P3300BT. Killer player with an excellent sound, even with the factory speakers.
I don't really use the player for movies or videos (except that it's great for killing time when I'm waiting for my wife at the mall...) The head unit is always loaded with a DVD full of MP3s (so 4.5 GB), with a 16 GB USB drive and with a 8 GB SD card. So, loads of music available in the car to fit my different moods.

As for home, every CD I buy gets ripped at 320 kbps. I play all my music on the computer now, which is connected with an external sound card to my sound system.

There's been a lot of stuff I've liked, and even more I'd like to buy, but my faves so far this year are:
VAN HALEN- A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH (my favorite of the year, by a WIDE margin)
Wolfsbane- Wolfsbane Saves The World
Jeff Scott Soto- Damage Control
Adrenaline Mob- Omerta (surprising...I didn't think I'd dig it so much)
Accept- Stalingrad
Grand Magus- The Hunt

Edit; I can't believe I forgot Arjen Lucassen's -"Lost In The New Real"....awesome stuff.

That's a crapload of discs.......I have a small list of my favorites so far this year:

H.E.A.T. - Address the Nation
TYKETTO - Dig In Deep
TRIXTER - New Audio Machine
CIRCUS MAXIMUS - Nine
ACCEPT - Stalingrad
JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control
UNISONIC - s/t
HARDLINE - Danger Zone
PRETTY MAIDS - It Comes Alive

Lots of good stuff this year so far. These are one's that I have really enjoyed.

Accept - Stalingrad
Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve
Circus Maximus - Nine
Dark Empire - From Refuge To Ruin
Eluveitie - Helvetios
Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent
Firewind - Few Against Many
God Forbid - Equilibrium
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
Hemina - Synthetic
Ihsahn - Eremita
Jeff Loomis - Plains Of Oblivion
Kill Devil Hill - Kill Devil Hill
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
Lamb Of God - Resolution
Lanfear - This Harmonic Conscience
Meshuggah - Koloss
Mnemic - Mnemesis
Mystic Prophecy - Ravenlord
Oddland - The Treachery Of Senses
Primal Fear - Unbreakable
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
Soulfly - Enslaved
Unisonic - Unisonic
Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

In alphabetical order...

A Sound of Thunder - Out of the Darkness
Christian Mistress - Possession
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel
Ihsahn- Eremita
Lamb of God - Resolution
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
Mustasch - Sounds Like Hell, Looks Like Heaven
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Orange Goblin - Eulogy for the Damned
Woods of Ypres - Woods 5
Finalizing a Top 10 list for 2012 is going to be tough. Additional contenders that will get serious consideration:

Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
Icarus Witch - Rise
Oddland - The Treachery of Sense
Teodor Tuff - Soliloquy
Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth
Texas Hippie Coalition - Peacemaker

My Top 10 (for right now!)

Circus Maximus - Nine
Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Hardline - Danger Zone
Tyketto - Dig In Deep
Eclipse - Bleed and Scream
H.E.A.T. - Address The Nation
Trixter - New Audio Machine
Unisonic - S/T
Europe - Bag Of Bones
Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control

I'll keep it to a top 10 so far..I fully expect new Kamelot to be in the mix as well

1. Beyond the Bridge
2. Circus Maximus
3.Delain
4. Arjen Lucassen
5.Huntress
6. Headspace
7. Epica
8. Damnation Angels
9. Affector
10. A Sound of Thunder

So I'm pretty sure my top 10 will look like this:

1. The Ghost Inside - Get What You Give
2. 7 Horns 7 Eyes - Throes of Absolution
3. Death Grips - The Money Store
4. Frankie Rose - Interstellar
5. The Darkness - Hot Cakes
6. Hot Water Music - Exister
7. Periphery - Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
8. Alcest - Les Voyages de L'âme
9. Glass Cloud - The Royal Thousand
10. Aesop Rock - Skelethon

and the other 10 would be

11: Primal Rock Rebellion - Awoken Broken
12: Architects - Daybreaker
13: Fear Factory - The Industrialist
14: Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Tree Of Tongues
15: Xerxes - Our Home is a Deathbed
16: Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte
17: Meshuggah - Koloss
18: Rush - Clockwork Angels
19: Katatonia - Dead End Kings
20: Light Asylum - s/t

The only album coming out this year that I think will do anything to bump this list is Converge, which drops in October. Otherwise time will tell.

Deathspell Omega - Drought
Pharaoh - Bury The Light
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity
Sabaton - Carolus Rex
Sarcophagy - The Summoning
Headspace - Headspace

That's all I got.

Its been pretty good for me so far.

Anathema - Weather Systems
Circus Maximus - Nine
Headspace - I Am Anonymous
Sigur Ros - Valtari