A Sound of Thunder made it to CNN

I guess any publicity is good publicity? lol

I'm just surprised at all the men jumping to my ex boyfriend's defense! I wish the lady who wrote the article could have also added the part where he was physically abusive and a stalker..

Such stories seem to be going around news organizations. An ex-girlfriend of mine was featured on Cleveland TV for her weight loss last year. More power to her.

Honestly, the article makes you look like a huge bitch. I'd probably write the reporter and complain. Loudly. Anyone who's ever talked to you knows that's not the case, and that makes the article the fucking worst piece of writing on the planet.

I guess any publicity is good publicity? lol

I'm just surprised at all the men jumping to my ex boyfriend's defense! I wish the lady who wrote the article could have also added the part where he was physically abusive and a stalker..

First off, congrats on the weight loss......

Though....

Let's be honest....

What aspect did you think CNN viewers would truly care about????

If you did it for a cheap plug for ASOT, then it was the wrong arena.

Though it may not have been your intent, the average reader viewed it as "Girl lost weight and dumps boyfriend"

I am getting mixed signals as to what you truly hoped to convey with that story????

Was it to be a role model for weight loss?

Show that something positive came out of a bad relationship?

Plug the band???? Why was the band even mentioned????

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate here, as you seem genuinely shocked by the responses from the CNN viewers.

Just not sure what you were hoping for......

First off, congrats on the weight loss......

Though....

Let's be honest....

What aspect did you think CNN viewers would truly care about????

If you did it for a cheap plug for ASOT, then it was the wrong arena.

Though it may not have been your intent, the average reader viewed it as "Girl lost weight and dumps boyfriend"

I am getting mixed signals as to what you truly hoped to convey with that story????

Was it to be a role model for weight loss?

Show that something positive came out of a bad relationship?

Plug the band???? Why was the band even mentioned????

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate here, as you seem genuinely shocked by the responses from the CNN viewers.

Just not sure what you were hoping for......

Jesus fucking christ dude, I'm about as far as you can get from being one of these social justice warriors but this is straight up victim blaming and you should be embarrassed with yourself.

What is she a victim of????? Misunderstanding maybe???

Sorry, just being honest....

As many in the comments section seemed to be, I was a bit confused as to what Nina was going for.

She said she was in an abusive relationship, and if you knew how to read maybe you'd have known that. The CNN writer neglected to mention that part, and she pointed that out in both this thread and in the comments section.

Asking "what did you expect" - as if a woman who was abused in a relationship should expect harassment from morons just for opening up about an inspiring and heartfelt story about recovering from said abuse is victim blaming.

And in the context of this thread itself, I would think ANYONE in their right mind would *expect* CNN to not leave out that kind of information in a piece like that, which is horrendous journalism. I'm not surprised, given how shitty CNN has become over the last few years - but that doesn't excuse it either.

I don't like name calling or ad hominem, but that shit is FUCKED UP dude.

Yeah, it just seemed like she wanted to share an inspiring story, but the writer left out the parts that made it inspiring. As the story looks now it seems pointless but the full version makes much more sense and makes all those commenters look pretty bad. Especially those "he saved your life" comments. Really, the worst part is why would a writer leave out those parts to begin with?

That is very strange that the author left out what seems to be a pretty important detail.

But it's not like any of those commenting against Nina would change their tune if they knew. They'd simply justify how it must still somehow be Nina's fault.

Asking "what did you expect" - as if a woman who was abused in a relationship should expect harassment from morons just for opening up about an inspiring and heartfelt story about recovering from said abuse is victim blaming.

I was not at all speaking about the abusive relationship.

Just speaking in general to the responses on CNN.

I was not there for the interview.
I can only go on what was written in the article.

As you can see, most took away different things from it, which led to a fury of varying types of responses.

That is very strange that the author left out what seems to be a pretty important detail.

I know, right?? Especially when I told her everything in a telephone interview, earlier!

If anyone is curious, the reason I got the interview at all was because of this iReport I wrote. It's got very little to do with my stupid ex boyfriend and it's supposed to be about ME keeping off the weight for ME and ME being happy for ME, ect. ect. ect. How this got twisted into a story about what happened TEN YEARS AGO is beyond me.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1071520

Bottom line. I don't watch CNN, I don't go to their website, and I sure as hell wouldn't talk to them.

I support Nina and the band because what I get from their efforts exceeds the marginal cost of me doing so and I don't give a fuck what CNN says.

I know, right?? Especially when I told her everything in a telephone interview, earlier!

If anyone is curious, the reason I got the interview at all was because of this iReport I wrote. It's got very little to do with my stupid ex boyfriend and it's supposed to be about ME keeping off the weight for ME and ME being happy for ME, ect. ect. ect. How this got twisted into a story about what happened TEN YEARS AGO is beyond me.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1071520

Well most reporters will take an uninteresting story and find a small tidbit that was probably told to them by the interviewee and twist it to make an interesting story out of it. Honestly...it is fantastic you lost the weight...but without the backstory this is not even news. Thousands of overweight people lose weight every day. My brothers wife lost over 100 pounds in 1 year by working out, eating right and running daily. She did it for herself and never felt the need to self promote what she did. I have various friends and coworkers who lost the same amount of weight and they never went to the media to self promote. I am sure you are happy with what your new body weight brings but you can't be upset your story was taken out of context....I am sure you mentioned in your interview about why this all happened. A reporter will tell what ever you tell them so it is a part of the story now. If it was all about just losing weight why was there a mention of your band even in the story then? At the end of the day it seems you just wanted attention and didn't get the attention your thought you were going to get.

Like I said, it is really hard to lose weight....but this is not news. Many many more people lose more and keep it off and they are not out waving flags on news sites looking for attention. If you didn't want that aspect of the story told...you should not have put it out there then.

Well most reporters will take an uninteresting story and find a small tidbit that was probably told to them by the interviewee and twist it to make an interesting story out of it. Honestly...it is fantastic you lost the weight...but without the backstory this is not even news. Thousands of overweight people lose weight every day. My brothers wife lost over 100 pounds in 1 year by working out, eating right and running daily. She did it for herself and never felt the need to self promote what she did. I have various friends and coworkers who lost the same amount of weight and they never went to the media to self promote. I am sure you are happy with what your new body weight brings but you can't be upset your story was taken out of context....I am sure you mentioned in your interview about why this all happened. A reporter will tell what ever you tell them so it is a part of the story now. If it was all about just losing weight why was there a mention of your band even in the story then? At the end of the day it seems you just wanted attention and didn't get the attention your thought you were going to get.

Like I said, it is really hard to lose weight....but this is not news. Many many more people lose more and keep it off and they are not out waving flags on news sites looking for attention. If you didn't want that aspect of the story told...you should not have put it out there then.

Periodicals have editorials, stories, etc. A story doesn't have to be breaking immediate "news" to be featured in any major news publication - it just has to be something that readers will find interesting. This can even include, as I said, opinions or human interest stories.

She has every right to be upset her story was taken out of context. Again, this is victim blaming and you should be ashamed of yourself.

the blame is on CNN for messing the story up. Journalists have a responsibility to cover the facts, even in human interest pieces such as this. Leaving out the facts is negligent and condemnable. Blaming Nina for not anticipating this or not expecting people to misinterpret the report and say stupid shit like "he saved your life" - or going as far to accuse her of "flag waving" or whatever is all ridiculous and the fact that it's being said so effortlessly on here is enormously disturbing.