Airplane Tickets

chibitotoro

Jul 1, 2002
Tokyo
Visit site
So I have my tickets, and my hotel reservation is set (staying at the Super 8...cheapcheapcheap), now all I need is a couple of plane tickets. Much to my dismay, the cheapest one I could find was a $225 roundtrip (I'm coming from Rochester)...I definitely don't recall it being this expensive last year. But what I do remember from last year, is Glenn posting links to special deals that airlines were having for a cheap ride to Atlanta. I am clearly in need of such a deal this year, so Glenn (or anyone else for that matter), do you intend on keeping us updated of any such deals this year? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it...

I have heard good things about something called Airtran. I am not sure if they fly to anywhere near you. Look into it. I am willing to bet that airline tickets are going to drop in price soon. Maybe July or so. Just don't commit to anything yet.

Airtran was the second cheapest airline, at $226. You're right though, at least I can afford to wait a while and see what deals pop up. If worse comes to worse (and I mean REALLY worse), I could always drive down...a mere 15 hours, and I would estimate the fuel cost to be around $200 round trip...split between two people, it would be about half the price of flying. That would really, really suck though.

I just did a search on Orbitz (www.orbitz.com), and got 184 per person... non stop, on Airtran.

I assumed flying in on Thursday...

May want to keep checking...

Chrisf

Disclaimer: I work for Orbitz.

remember, airfares are typically cheaper in November than in September, so you might not be able to fly for as cheap as last year. However, that being said, orbitz does indeed rock, and I noticed airfares to Detroit for a trip in July I'm contemplating went down from like $270 on Monday to $220 yesterday--ah, gotta love those price wars. :) You'll want to keep checking for a few days, I'm sure, but IMO you're going to get your best deal on Orbitz. I don't know where you'd be flying out of, but I booked a round tripper to Newark at the end of July for something like $180 last week.

Shaye

Disclaimer: I don't work for Orbitz. :)

chibitotoro said:
So I have my tickets, and my hotel reservation is set (staying at the Super 8...cheapcheapcheap), now all I need is a couple of plane tickets. Much to my dismay, the cheapest one I could find was a $225 roundtrip (I'm coming from Rochester)...I definitely don't recall it being this expensive last year. But what I do remember from last year, is Glenn posting links to special deals that airlines were having for a cheap ride to Atlanta. I am clearly in need of such a deal this year, so Glenn (or anyone else for that matter), do you intend on keeping us updated of any such deals this year? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it...

If you go to the Airtran site, www.airtran.com , they are presently running a "Web Sale Fare". You can get a round-trip direct flight for $136.50 (including tax) between Rochester and Atlanta. The assumptions that I used for this flight are as follows:

Depart Rochester at 2:15 pm on Thursday the 4th, arriving in Atlanta at 4:25 pm, Flight 581 (assuming you are coming down in time for the pre-party).

Depart Atlanta at 3:05 pm on Sunday the 7th, arriving in Rochester at 5:05 pm, Flight 238.

Looks like the rates for other time slots on these days are all the same, though some of the other flight selections are indirect, with a stopover in Baltimore...

Alright.
My original plan was to fly down on friday morning, and just stay two nights. I guess flying on Friday is more expensive, because, as you have all pointed out, the fare is cheaper when flying down Thursday. I went to the airtran website, and the cheapest fare I could get (for two people) is $359.00, roundtrip. That's more than double the fare you quoted James, so I'm wondering if they're charging an extra fee for two seats, or if I missed some option I was supposed to click. The flight down to Atlanta was nice and cheap, and was classified as a "sale fare" (or something like that), but the return flight seemed to be full price. Thanks for the help thus far guys, I'm about halfway to where I want to be on the ticket price.

I have been to 6 festivals the past 3 years. 3 PPUSA's and 3 NEARFEST's.
I spent minnimum $500 for each 1. Festivals run you $, 1 reason why I can't afford to get a ticket right now for NF or PPUSA, I'm still in debt. I think I need a festival in my hometown of Minneapolis/St.Paul. Eliminate Hotel and Travel cost. Hehe..there is 1 luckily, NORDICROOTS: http://www.nordicroots.org/ baybay!. World Music is the DEAL!. Unlike some fans, I am passionate about other genres besides Metal or even Prog for that matter ;).

Kyle

chibitotoro said:
Alright.
My original plan was to fly down on friday morning, and just stay two nights. I guess flying on Friday is more expensive, because, as you have all pointed out, the fare is cheaper when flying down Thursday. I went to the airtran website, and the cheapest fare I could get (for two people) is $359.00, roundtrip. That's more than double the fare you quoted James, so I'm wondering if they're charging an extra fee for two seats, or if I missed some option I was supposed to click. The flight down to Atlanta was nice and cheap, and was classified as a "sale fare" (or something like that), but the return flight seemed to be full price. Thanks for the help thus far guys, I'm about halfway to where I want to be on the ticket price.

Wow; last night, the "Web Sale Fare" was good for both the Departing flight AND the Returning flight, but today the "Sale" only applies to the Departing flight, and they jacked up the Returning flight price from $59 to $102 (not including tax). The combination of a $43 per person increase in the return flight, plus paying tax on two flights instead of one does fatten it up a bit.

You might try calling Airtran directly, at 1-800-AIRTRAN, and ask why they took the sale off of the Returning flight, find out if they're running any more deals, etc. It might be worth mentioning that you already saw the deal on BOTH flights on Wednesday night, and ask them if they'll still let you have that deal; never hurts to ask.

I have found a decent deal on Delta non stop to Atlanta roundtrip from Orange County for $233. Might have been cheaper flying out of LAX but it's not worth the traffic and the drive up there. I just need to confirm these soon enough and my tickets will be booked! :)

Just curious but are any of you planning on hooking up at the airport?

Cheers!

So I went ahead with Airtran and ordered tickets to come down on Thursday and return Sunday, for a total of $180. Not too bad, I suppose. Now all I have to do is wait for another company to bust out some stupendous deal, causing me to slam my head against the wall for several minutes.

chibitotoro said:
So I went ahead with Airtran and ordered tickets to come down on Thursday and return Sunday, for a total of $180. Not too bad, I suppose. Now all I have to do is wait for another company to bust out some stupendous deal, causing me to slam my head against the wall for several minutes.

$180 sounds like a pretty good deal. I doubt any airline is going to have a cheaper deal than Airtran for this particular route (unless Jet Blue starts a direct connection between Atlanta and Rochester, but I don't have any indication to believe that would start happening before ProgPower). Right now a direct flight each way on Delta would cost you over $90 more per person, so I would say you came out in pretty good shape ! Plus, now you'll be able to attend the party Thursday night, which will rule...

Jet Blue is really nice, I hope they branch out with service to...everywhere. I'll see you at the pre-party, about which I know nothing...I hope it's an all ages show. That's my birthday too, so maybe I could get a birthday spanking from Tarja!