"Alive in Athens" DVD Update - Schaffer

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
As many of us suspected, Schaffer views this DVD as a money-grab by CM. That said, I'll still be buying it.

Blabbermouth article:

ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer has sent the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the upcoming release of the band's "Alive in Athens" DVD via their former record label, Century Media Records:

"I've been asked recently about the release of the 'Alive in Athens' DVD and I want my position on this to be very clear to all of the ICED EARTH fans out there. In my opinion, this is purely a money grab on behalf of Century Media Records. The reason that it was never released before is because the footage is substandard. This was only a three-camera shoot that was done for a German music television channel called Viva. I hosted the show as a guest VJ and played videos from different bands as well as a few tunes from the 'Alive in Athens' concert.

"About a year ago, Century Media contacted me and asked if I'd like to be involved in doing this. I said that I did not think it was a good idea based on my memory of the footage, but to go ahead and send me some of the camera angles on DVD so I could think about it. After viewing the footage I felt that it would be extremely difficult to make a release that would live up to the standards that we have set for ICED EARTH over the years. So I turned the project down.

"Several weeks ago, I learned that they were determined to release this DVD anyway. When I found this out I asked to see the edit and they obliged. After viewing it and seeing how weak it is I asked if they would be willing to fly me over and rework some of the edits. The answer was no, they did not think it could be done better. That translates into, 'We don't want to spend the money to make it the best it can be.'

"So here's the deal: I want you all to be aware of what it is that they are releasing. This is a very low-budget, badly edited video of an amazing concert and an awesome period in the history of ICED EARTH. They promised me that they are going to keep the price down and that they are not going to market it as something it's not. But I feel it's my responsibility to let you know the reality of the situation.

"I've often regretted that there was never a high-quality filming of the band during that period but it was something that we could never persuade the label to do. And it's not cheap if you do it right.

"ICED EARTH will be filming a real DVD on the next world tour. This will be what the fans have been waiting for. It will consist of a 16-camera crew with cranes and a real stage show and all of the things necessary to finally bring to the fans a state-of-the-art DVD that will really give you the feeling of being at an ICED EARTH show.

"The decision to purchase the 'Alive in Athens' DVD is up to you. I just want you to be aware of what it is you're getting should you choose to do so.

"I don't want to make it sound like it's some horrible bootleg, because it's not — it's just not up to the standards that you've come to expect from us."

Schaffer is currently working on a concept album based on the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" story that first appeared on ICED EARTH's 1998 album of the same name. The band is tentatively expected to begin tracking the effort in December/January for a 2007 release via SPV Records.

ICED EARTH's last release was the "Gettysburg (1863)" DVD, which came out in June 2005. The main program, a CGI-rendered video presentation of the epic "Gettysburg" trilogy from 2004's acclaimed album "The Glorious Burden", drew praise from fans and media alike. The DVD was also reportedly being used as a teaching tool in several high schools across the country.

I will be interested in seeing this just because I loved the 3 cd set with Barlow.

Hmmm....that doesn't sound good, but the statement is a smart move on Schaffer's part if the DVD is really substandard. Oh well, I'm like you Zod, I'll still buy it regardless. Like I said, I'd settle for a bootleg of a Zach Stevens era Savatage show, just to be able to see the band live! LOL The average Iced Earth fan such as myself will probably think it's pretty darned good to see the band live with Matt Barlow regarless of the quality!

i've got to say i've seen some of this Viva tv show footage, and it is damn good IMO.

3 cameras is better than one, which a bootleg usually is. If it's priced $10-15 I'll buy it without question.
There has to be at least an hour's worth of footage though.

I think it's possible, that this is just Schaffer being a perfectionist. Which isn't to say everything he does is perfect, just to say that it's perfect as he sees it. If what he really wants is a 16 camera DVD shoot, you can see why he would view a 3 camera shoot as substandard. However, I don't think 3 cameras is a bad thing. To me, it just means there won't be 10,000 annoying cut aways.

Wasn't this ProgPower shot with three cameras; two on booms and a handheld?

Zod

As substandard as it is, it will probably still be the best concert footage will get with Barlow as singer. Most of the times I care more about the audio aspect of live dvd concerts than the footage. Seeing as the mix for the cd was great, I don't see why it could be a bad dvd.

If anything, this should be of more value than the gettysburg dvd.

Schaffer is a perfectionist. He isn't very fond of Century Media. All he does is push how great of a band Iced Earth is with Ripper...

The new DVD will be great even if the quality is "substandard". It's Barlow you know...

General Zod said:
Wasn't this ProgPower shot with three cameras; two on booms and a handheld? Zod

I stand to be corrected on this, but this is what I saw at PP7.

1. Camera on tripod behind sound board
2. Camera on tripod left of soundboard (on top of backstage tunnel)
3. Camera on tripod right of soundboard (on top of backstage tunnel)
4. Boom camera
5. Pit camera manually operated
6. Drum camera on kit to side of kit (not easy to see unless you were back there)
7. Crowd rover with camera in hand

The Fiddler said:

4. Boom camera
6. Drum camera on kit to side of kit (not easy to see unless you were back there)
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Zod

Yeah, all the bootlegs I have of Barlow era Iced Earth kick ass purely because its BARLOW!!! \m/

I've got a bootleg of a show here in Detroit at the I-Rock. A stage we've played on.

THAT MEANS I'VE WALKED IN THE HALLOWED FOOTSTEPS OF THE METAL GOD!!!

*orgasms*

This was a funny bootleg, cuz the crowd starts chanting, "ICE-ED EARTH! ICE-ED EARTH!" and Barlow barks at them, "The fuck? Even the Greeks know it's ICED fucking Earth!!!" Hilarious.

I see where Schaffer is coming from, but to get my hands on a non-bootleg release is worth my money!!!

I have a feeling that after watching this, I'm going to yearn for Barlow's return more than ever.......

I have a copy of the German TV show the recording was made for an yeah I gotta agree it's a pretty substandard recording from a visual standpoint when you compare it to today's releases. With that said, any recording of this is better than no recording so I'll be purchasing it.

The Fiddler said:

4. Boom camera

I think there were 2 on stage that were moved depending on band set-up .. some from behind the amp, between the amps, side of drums, etc....

If #7 is the guy in the pit - great. If not - there was a guy in the photo pit as well...

Which is a professional production if you ask me. Which you weren't. But by the power of dio.. if you did...

Hm... Maybe I'm wrong on this (as I've never seen Iced Earth live unforunately) but it sounds like they don't normally do stage shows but they will be doing one for the DVD they have planned. Isn't that less like being at a real Iced Earth show than one with lesser of a picture quality but with no "it's a DVD! stage show?"