"Alive in Athens" DVD Update - Schaffer

Wayniac said:
I think there were 2 on stage that were moved depending on band set-up .. some from behind the amp, between the amps, side of drums, etc....

Yep. Typically, one was aimed at the drum kit and the other was aimed at the keyboardist, if any.

If #7 is the guy in the pit - great. If not - there was a guy in the photo pit as well...

I think this was the same guy...during one of the later shows on Saturday, he seemed to be late getting back to his position in front of the barricade. (And boy howdy, it was crowded in there, too.)

What was fun, was watching the audience-left/stage-right camera 'going dry' during Evergrey's set. That image was being piped to the monitor backstage by Catering and in front of Mercenary's dressing room door, and we were watching as the display counted down.....6 minutes.....5 minutes...little warning symbol starts blinking a warning in mid-screen...4..3...2..1.... By coincidence -- I think -- the tape ran out just as they finished a song and the stage was darkened for a while (string quartet went off-stage, I think), then resumed with a fresh tape. 62 minutes left, hoo-hah! They started to play some more. THAT fresh tape ran down to around 30 minutes. (!) What a set!

Im not happy about a question of heaven missing and two other tunes missing, but they caught EVERYTHING.

Century Media Records has revaled more information about the upcoming ICED EARTH "Alive in Athens" DVD (view cover at this location), which was filmed in 1999.

ICED EARTH's first and only live album, "Alive in Athens", was recorded at two sold-out shows on the nights of January 23 and January 24, 1999, at the Rodon Club in Athens, Greece. Originally released as a triple-CD and five-picture-vinyl set in summer 1999, "Alive in Athens" entered the German charts at No. 55 and stayed at No. 1 in Greece for two weeks, where it was quickly certified gold.

According to a Century Media press release, "Seven years after the release of 'Alive In Athens', a discovery was made when raw footage of the live show itself was discovered in a discontinued archive, and out of curiosity alone the footage was immediately converted to a modern tape format and examined. Although only three cameras were present at the show, the energy and atmosphere of the material was overwhelming, and only three of the 31 live songs ('Slave to the Dark', 'A Question of Heaven' and 'Iced Earth') were absent or unusable due to videotape changes of the camera team. Not having known that camera footage existed from such a legendary concert, the decision was made to share the material with the world in the form of 'Alive In Athens – The DVD'</B>. The audio files have been re-mastered for 5.1 DTS surround sound to offer the best quality live feeling. While not as slick as the modern 16-camera, quick-cut DVD releases found today, the fact that fans can now share the visual experience of being at the show is one that will surely be rejoiced. Some backstage footage and a Jon Schaffer interview with the German music channel VIVA TV were also unearthed and added as part of this historical performance, leaving it without the standard bells and whistles but nonetheless delivering more than 2-½ hours of the best metal ever recorded live."

"Alive in Athens" DVD track listing:

01. Intro (01:53)
02. Burning Times (03:32)
03. Vengeance is Mine (04:07)
04. Dark Saga (03:30)
05. Last Laugh (04:15)
06. Cast in Stone (05:53)
07. Last December (03:28)
08. Pure Evil (06:16)
09. Desert Rain (06:29)
10. Dante's Inferno (16:20)
11. The Hunter (03:58)
12. Melancholy (Holy Martyr) (05:04)
13. Angels Holocaust (04:38)
14. Stormrider (04:45)
15. The Path I Choose (05:39)
16. Watching Over Me (05:12)
17. Diary (05:57)
18. Blessed Are You (05:08)
19. When the Night Falls (07:21)
20. My Own Savior (03:47)
21. Travel in Stygian (09:17)
22. Violate (04:38)
23. Stand Alone (03:23)
24. Brainwashed (05:43)
25. Disciples of the Lie (04:10)
26. I Died For You (05:01)
27. Prophecy (06:10)
28. Birth of the Wicked (05:44)
29. The Coming Curse (08:08)
30. Epilog (02:36)

Bonus:

31. Iced Earth Backstage (04:21)
32. Jon Schaffer in Athens (03:26)

Total running time: approx. 171 min

Release Dates:

Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux: Friday, October 27
U.K., France, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Rest Of Europe: Monday, October 30
North America: Tuesday, October 31
Finland, Sweden, Hungary: Wednesday, November 01
Italy: Friday, November 03

For ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer's assessment of the upcoming "Alive in Athens" DVD, read his statement at this location.