Iced Earth Alive in Athens DVD review

Nov 12, 2002
www.metalasylum.net
So I got the DVD and here are my thoughts:

Iced Earth's first and only live album, "Alive in Athens", was recorded at two sold-out shows on the nights of January 23 and January 24 1999 at the Rodon Club in Athens, Greece. Originally it was only released as a triple-CD and on vinyl in summer 1999. Although only three cameras were present at the show, the quality of the video and picture resolution were rather good, restored, and only three of the 31 live songs ('Slave to the Dark', 'A Question of Heaven' and 'Iced Earth') were absent or unusable due to videotape changes of the camera team. The audio files have been re-mastered for 5.1 DTS surround sound to offer the best quality live feeling and are exactly the same quality as heard on the live cd set.

Being a long time fan and someone who has gone out and purchased every record the day it came out since the release of "The Dark Saga", as well as interviewed John, with no disrespect to John, God I would never, and I am not questioning his problems with this release, but this DVD is just fine as it stands. The packaging matches that of the cd, with the booklet including lyrics to each song and photos.

The videos quality is clean and overall sharp, yet maybe seen as a tad soft given the year of its recording, with selective moments of fuzziness in the resolution and the occasional glitch in the transfer (think I caught one to two the most) but that is so minimal you barely notice the couple imperfections. You really have to be examining this with a fine toothed comb to catch it.
My problem with the whole thing is how do you lose three songs due to tape changes??? How unprofessional is that and clearly the issue should have been dealt with and avoided prior to taping. The running order of the track listing also does not match that of the original cd given some patch work had to be done in order to present it as one show.
I am assuming these are the faults that bothered John and swayed his full support behind this release.

The videos edit is perfectly synched up with the audio and includes multiple camera angels (for a three camera shoot) and rotating shots of each member. The 5.1 audio mix is satisfactory given at the time it wasn't recorded for those specs, so the low end bass and drums don't come across as one would expect through a sub woofer.
Don't let all the scrutinizing by either John or anyone else question whether or not this is the full performance because minus those three songs it is presented as a full concert. The band are in top form and this is the "Live After Death" for 90's Heavy Metal.

The two bonus features are thin as it only includes some backstage footage which is nothing more than the guys mulling around prior to the performance with no real candid footage aside from the "John Schaffer in Athens" segment where he takes you on a tour of some of Greece's sites and backstage where he introduces his proud parents. So what this DVD boils down to is the performance.
Given this was an official audio/video recording and is a snap shot in Iced Earth's history I am glad the DVD portion was released. Hopefully one day John also will accept it for what it is and be glad this time in Iced Earth's past was captured, preserved on video and not completely lost.

You can read the whole review with some of John's previous comments about its release here http://www.metalasylum.net/reviews/cd06074.html

Shit, of COURSE one of the songs they didn't/couldn't use would HAVE to be A Question of Heaven! Man, that really sucks, that's my favourite Iced Earth song.

I will probably still get it though.

I have been a huge Iced Earth fan since "Something Wicked This Way Comes"
and since then found a love for most Iced Earth albums. The only one I didnt care for was "Horror Show" Or what ever it was called. I found that one lacking BIG TIME. I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on this disk. I have heard from many people that despite it's flaws its great to watch.

They chose a great song to be in that trailer,man can you feel the power? I'm kinda sad Question of Heaven wasn't included(I wish youtube had it from another concert or even the actual video from Alive in Athens)but hell I've ordered it! Matt Barlow rules and I'm damn glad this came out. I don't think Jon is gonna top this if he makes a DVD with his current lineup(unless Barlow returns and shows Owens hows it's done)

I was thinking that he didn't want them to release the DVD until he had time to doctor it up because then it would be obvious that they totally redid a lot of the tracks in studio after the live show. But 100% legit or not, that's one of the most powerful live albums ever. In fact, its almost difficult for me to listen to the album tracks because they sound so bland after hearing them on the live version.

I honestly prefer this kind of shoot to the 50 camera shoots that are changing images every half second and giving me epilepsy. I think the smaller camera shoots give you a better idea of what's going on at the show. My guess as far as the missing footage is this was never planned on being released as a live recording hence the breaks, but of course like mentioned they picked the worst time to do this..what can ya do.

I'm still looking forward to seeing this. I own a bootlegged copy of the TV show this was taped for and it was pretty cool on there so I imagine this will just be better with the updated audio. On that note, if Jon thinks this sucks, I can't wait till they actually plan on doing a live DVD.

I am looking forward to this dvd, one of the best live cds in the last 10 years. Plus it will be great to see Barlow fronting the band during their pinnacle.

Mountain King said:
I honestly prefer this kind of shoot to the 50 camera shoots that are changing images every half second and giving me epilepsy. I think the smaller camera shoots give you a better idea of what's going on at the show. My guess as far as the missing footage is this was never planned on being released as a live recording hence the breaks, but of course like mentioned they picked the worst time to do this..what can ya do.

Amen. I'm looking at you, "Rock in Rio"!

Great review, i had a real cheap 1/2 hour vhs bootleg from it, that sucked big time, but i'm looking fwd to get it in the morning, can't wait :kickass: