Iced Earth Alive in Athens DVD review

Hey Wayland Smithers, Can you scan the whole cover and post it so we can see what it looks like?? That would rock dude

at lunch today (16.99 at Best Buy) - now waiting for the last 45 minutes of the day to go by so i can jam it - somehow my computer at work doesnt have a dvd drive - just two cd-rw's - WTF is that crap?

jeff

Iced Ray said:

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT

I've got chills down my spine....

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT

I can't believe I've been so busy with work and Halloween I've totally forgot...

ProgMetal_Lover said:
They chose a great song to be in that trailer,man can you feel the power?

If I ever win the lottery, I'm opening my own radio syndicate with stations in Chicago, NY, LA, and Houston and it's going to be called, "Burning Times Radio". Every morning and every day at 8 am, "Burning Times" gets played to get the day started off right for everyone listening. I'd shove metal up everyone's keesters across the USA - AND THEY WILL LIKE IT!!!!!!

Got it - watched it while sitting in full costume for the throngs of trick or treaters.

IT FREAKING RAWKS :headbang: You already know that from teh cds of the shows - but watching it just made me more jealous of those lucky bastages that were there for those shows - could have been near perfect with the 3 songs that were cut or some "real" bonus material - but hell I am watching/listening to it for the music - this one vaults into the playlist of music dvds for me at #1 - gonna be a while before something unsettles it I have a feeling.

jeff

Ok, my apologies, but I feel compelled to do this in every thread on this topic on the Internet....

manowarfan1 said:
it just made me more jealous of those lucky bastages that were there for those shows
You mean, like.....me? :D

I've been to well over 100 concerts by now, and that one (two, really) is still #1 on my list.

manowarfan1 said:
could have been near perfect with the 3 songs that were cut
Yeah, and those were totally the 3 best ones that they played!!! Ok, just kidding. Although I do recall the "Question of Heaven" performance being one of the best I saw, with Barlow doing the whole falling-to-his-knees thing during the "why won't you let me die?" ending quite convincingly. Haha, maybe I wasn't kidding, because now I remember that "Iced Earth" was pretty great too, though maybe just for me because I have my memory of leaving the insane crowd partway through and dashing to join Jon's family backstage exactly at the "we are together now" part. Hmm....I think I need to get ahold of this DVD!

Neil

The Fiddler said:
Every morning and every day at 8 am, "Burning Times" gets played to get the day started off right for everyone listening. I'd shove metal up everyone's keesters across the USA - AND THEY WILL LIKE IT!!!!!!
Finally, a radio station worth listening to.

Zod

This DVD is better than nothing at all, but it's surprising that no one has mentioned the biggest negative of the whole show. It's that the footage has been mixed with audio of songs that are versions recorded on the other night.

This is obvious when you hear Barlow talking and the microphone just happens to be at his side while he is doing it. Or during Stormrider when he is going "hey", "hey", "hey", to get the crowd going when he isn't even on the stage. It's kind of cheesy of Century Media to have done that and you can see why Schaeffer didn't want it put out.

All that said, it's sure as hell better than nothing. Barlow owns Ripper.

This dvd is a must own. No ifs, ands, or buts

I definitely agree. Obviously several things would have been done differently if the video was planned for a DVD relase from the start and not a TV broadcast. But that said, it's impressive how well the footage was put together, edited, and presented in DVD format. I too like minimal video effects and consantly changing angles. The productions keeps those items in check and maintains the raw feel of the show.

After seeing this, you gotta wonder just how amazing the next live Iced Earth DVD will be, given all the extensive preparations that will go into place to make it live up to Jon's meticulous standards. I'm sure his goal with to make it be the best live rock/metal concert DVD ever made.

I definitely agree. Obviously several things would have been done differently if the video was planned for a DVD relase from the start and not a TV broadcast. But that said, it's impressive how well the footage was put together, edited, and presented in DVD format. I too like minimal video effects and consantly changing angles. The productions keeps those items in check and maintains the raw feel of the show.

After seeing this, you gotta wonder just how amazing the next live Iced Earth DVD will be, given all the extensive preparations that will go into place to make it live up to Jon's meticulous standards. I'm sure his goal with to make it be the best live rock/metal concert DVD ever made.

*GASP* You mean Jon's gonna bring barlow back for the next one to make it the best live rock/metal concert DVD evar???? Holy Shit that's awesome news!
:OMG: :lol:

BTW, for anyone who hasn't gotten this one yet, it's available for $12.09 at DeepDiscountDVD.com -- with free shipping, of course. LOOOOOOVE that site. :kickass:

I haven't seen the DVD in a Best Buy (or any other bricks-and-mortar store) yet, so I'll be placing an online order soonly. :headbang: (I'll probably toss in a Family Guy or Drawn Together box-set or something. :D)

This DVD is better than nothing at all, but it's surprising that no one has mentioned the biggest negative of the whole show. It's that the footage has been mixed with audio of songs that are versions recorded on the other night.

This is obvious when you hear Barlow talking and the microphone just happens to be at his side while he is doing it. Or during Stormrider when he is going "hey", "hey", "hey", to get the crowd going when he isn't even on the stage. It's kind of cheesy of Century Media to have done that and you can see why Schaeffer didn't want it put out.

Yeah, I noticed a few little things like that, too...made me think, ":err: what else has been monkeyed with on this dvd?"

In the end, it's still an impressive show.
:Smokin:

The Stormrider thing was painfully obvious, yeah, but it really isn't enough to detract from the plastic disc of glory that is this dvd.