All this talk of Pretty Maids,After Forever,etc

But, what has Virgin Steele done in the last 10-15 years? Let's face reality, peeps. Many of us were getting drunk in college when they were at their height. Some of you were wearing Underoos when they were piling on the Aqua-net. Look, let me give you another situation of a quick turnaround. In 1973, a band called Blue Oyster Cult did a major club tour. The band that opened for them was a creation of two nice Jewish boys (One was a Rabbinical scholar) from Forest Hills, NY by the names of Stanley Eisen and Chaim Yitz. The band's name? KISS.

18 months later, KISS would headline Madison Square Garden. Who would be their opening act? Blue Oyster Cult. It tells you how quickly the fortunes can change in the music business. Sonata Arctica is a very worthy headliner. They are probably a better act than Stratovarius. No question that Toni Kakko is a better singer than Timo Kotipelto. Those things said (And the fact that I have as many Sonata CD's as Nightwish CD's, including the Japanese imports), as well as the fact is that their music has made them one of the top drawer acts in the Rock/Metal world, made them a far worthier headliner for this than VS.

Peace,
Ray C.

Yep, that shitty sold out European opera for House of Atreus was nothing much to crow about, right? This may come as a little news, but there IS some Virgin Steele activity outside of these shores and it IS quite remarkable. :rolleyes:

By the way, did anyone around here even notice the number of sold out and nearly sold out dates LOUDNESS just had? Fucking LOUDNESS was close to selling out Jaxx. And the Pretty Maids should not be considered? Holy fuck, guys, C'mon!

I have so much to say about these posts, I could rip off 20 consecutive posts, but I'll stop at this measly half-dozen.

I enjoyed reading your post up to the point where you said SA was probably better than Stratovarius. Strat is a very worthy veteran band and put on a stellar show at PP VI. As for Kotipelto, he's a fantastic frontman with impressive stage presence.

I like Sonata Arctica, but they're not necessarily any more worthy than Stratovarius dude.

Matter of personal tastes. Kotipelto is a class act that should be emulated by many of the "me-firsters" in the industry. Those people should take lessons in class from that man. No question Kotipelto has a magnetic stage presence. The difference is that Kakko is manic. His personality is such that you truly feel engaged in the show. Furthermore, nobody is saying that Strato is NOT a worthy band. I am talking of the here and now. At THIS POINT IN TIME Sonata has clearly passed them, especially after Strato put out a weak album while "Reckoning Night" was on everyone's Top Five list (I had that one as "Album of the Year" over "Black Halo" and "Godless Endeavor").

Peace,
Ray C.

"Reckoning Night" was on everyone's Top Five list

It sure wasn't on mine! :erk: I will say though that Sonata at the moment have a little more momentum than Strato, who have had a few disappointing releases as of late. Strato's legacy and influence on the metal scene (especially in Finland), however, is tremendous, while I have my doubts you'll be seeing many bands citing Sonata Arctica as an influence as time goes by.

So is there a chance your make your triumphant return this year?

As long as there are unrevealed slots remaining, there's always a chance, but we're quickly running out of slots!

So far Virgin Steele is the only band I'd get out of the house to go see if they were playing in Chicago. I'd probably enjoy all the rest well enough, but they're just all so *young*! They basically all appeared after I stopped being really interested in that kind of music, so it's hard to get too excited about 'em. Again, god, I can't believe I'm becoming one of those "play some old shit!!!" guys.

Heck, just the fact that you've gotten me to come to four of these things already should be considered an amazing feat in itself. :)

Neil

I think i will chime in on this now, PRETTY MAIDS as a co-headliner HELL YES!!! As a #3 on Sat. HELL YES!!! as the #4 of Friday HELL YES!!!!! They would fit into any of these slots, and be worthy of any of them. These guys have been around for the longest, and have played to sold out shows all across Europe and else where, and they deserve a slot at ProgPower USA, they would be if announced the band that created the most buzz, IMHO. But they would wind up being th FREAK KITCHEN of PPVIII.

J-Man