An idea to compare our techniques

BTW: What about some vocals? If nobody dares to sing, I could ask my wife to sing some lines for us. The "little" problem is that we have a 10 months old daughter and you don't want to have her crying in the background. This means, we cannot do endless recording sessions. But maybe a verse and a chorus would do for us. You can preview her voice at the homepage of our former band. Just click on "MP3s" and there are some clips.
What do you think?

steal ahead, but that is not the whole truth as some of the sound comes from the room mic also... But try to disable/enable the plugins and listen and think why I used what I used, so you might actually learn something ;)
I want the snare to be more even in level. Your mix pretty much sets the level for snare fix by compressing the hell out of it. I wouldn't want it that much, but need to go into that direction.

BTW: What about some vocals? If nobody dares to sing, I could ask my wife to sing some lines for us. The "little" problem is that we have a 10 months old daughter and you don't want to have her crying in the background. This means, we cannot do endless recording sessions. But maybe a verse and a chorus would do for us. You can preview her voice at the homepage of our former band. Just click on "MP3s" and there are some clips.
What do you think?

how about clean vocals for the chorus and someone to do gritted/growl/scream vocals for the verse? I remember this thread in particular... Dodo <3

Sounds good, but we're having trouble finding ONE singer, now we would need TWO. Does not make things easier... But it would be nice, because mixing clean vocals is a different thing than mixing grunts.

Dammit... how to I do group-channels in Reaper? Does it has something to do with track receives or the routing-matrix? I want my Sonar or PT back!

That is what I am saying, in Reaper you HAVE to GIVE UP the way you group in other DAW. It's the main specificity. The deal is to use the matrix, but as I don't already masterize it (I went to reaper only a few days ago) I do the following :

I myself, for the moment, only use the pseudo-folder way of grouping tracks : you add a track that will be sort of a bus, you clic on the folder logo on its buttons, and then all following tracks until the one you will also clic the logo button will be included. They will be then routed to the first track, and only that track produces the sound. There is no way to group like in a window explorer. It's really different but in the end it seems to be less messy, especially if you masterize the matrix for routing, as it has no limit, no need to differenciate the types of tracks, etc.

Then the "folders" will appear another color in the mixer. If you clic on the button on the left of "MASTER" on the master track, you can choose "group folders" on the left and al "folders" will be on the left, if you need to adjust each instrument bus individually they would be easy to access.

If you send/receive tracks it will be like in all DAW, the sender and the receiver will both produce sound.

Well that's a shame I don't have time for the moment for this thread ! How do you do for such an investment every day ?? :headbang:

LaSedna, thanx for the grouping tipps. Works like a charm now that I understood how it works in Reaper. It's nice... different, but nice.
The folder tracks do not appear in a different color in the mixer, they just have this little folder icon where others have a number.

@ RiF : maybe it's my skin that changes the color of the folder tracks, it's the "easy on the eyes" skin if I remember. Anyway, it's practical. And yeah it's a bit different, but if you start with the principle not to get confused with too much folders like in Cubase, and keep on this philosophy it stays clear. I would maybe find how do reaper geeks deal with tremendous projects, if there is no other wat to deal with multiple tracks. I just found the "group" tab with the matrix but didn't understand how it works yet (I haven't read the manual, that's why !). And, I know there is a way to make tracks "active" or "inactive", which is different from playing or "mute". Cause when you do such a folder track, the inner track become "inactive" but send their sound to the folder track. You can see it in the matrix if I don't say a stupidity. And if you mute them, they don't send any sound. So there is a difference, and I think "the truth is in the matrix". It seems to be the core of Reaper.

EDIT : here is how it looks with my skin. I put the folder trakcs on the left, lacked a "KEYS" track that I added after :) http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2575/sanstitreoar.jpg

@ahjteam : yeah i'm just adding the guitars/drums/bass to the first post.

Ahhhh I hope I'll have time in the Alps to mix with you. I'm starting to hunt the bad weather days so that I can do it ahah :) That will be tricky, on a instable laptop, with a toneport GX, a mouse, and 100 bucks earplugs but earplugs anyway ! I am savagely copying my VST folder, as mostly free VST's are just dll...

just found the "group" tab with the matrix but didn't understand how it works yet (I haven't read the manual, that's why !).
Groups are cool. Example: you have 2 guitar tracks and you pan them left and right. Every time you want to mute them or change the volume, you have to press two buttons or operate two faders. Using groups, you can tell Reaper to handle them all the same, so if you group mute and fader for the two tracks, every move to one fader will affect the other two. Very handy.
That will be tricky, on a instable laptop, with a toneport GX, a mouse, and 100 bucks earplugs but earplugs anyway !
My first posted mix has been done on my Laptop, with a toneport GX, a mouse and 80! bucks headphones ;-)

I wanted to give you a music tip for solos on riffs like that, i discovered a year ago. When the harmony of the solo part is really dark, not so melodic, like this one, you can use the natural minor harmonic scale. Just test it, it gives a little oriental effect ot it, and fits perfectly with that kind of harmonies. Nevermore just always use it for example, and not to say Malmsteen ! With more harmonic ones, the basic minor or penta minor stays cool though.

Groups are cool. Example: you have 2 guitar tracks and you pan them left and right. Every time you want to mute them or change the volume, you have to press two buttons or operate two faders. Using groups, you can tell Reaper to handle them all the same, so if you group mute and fader for the two tracks, every move to one fader will affect the other two. Very handy.

My first posted mix has been done on my Laptop, with a toneport GX, a mouse and 80! bucks headphones ;-)

Ah ! I beat you :loco: mines are SE110, and just kick ass !

So here's my second attempt. The changes to the last one are mainly the snare, which is far more up front and even-leveled now and the inclusion of the new edited drumtracks by ahjteam. Plus I replaced most uses of ReaEQs with FullTecs.
The screenshot, the Reaper project file and the MP3 mixdown can be found here:
http://drop.io/RiFMixProject

it's sounds interesting.
I'd want to try mixing, i'm using reaper and some free plugins of list above.
But i can't download track from drop.io 8-(
I'm a guitar player, but haven't gear for recording it now.
Now my band is in mixing our debut album, so i can give you some full multitracks, all tracks are real and di-tracks for guitars also

for examle we have this little song without vocal http://rapidshare.com/files/219973638/metal-mixing1303.mp3.html
not album version, only demo

Now my band is in mixing our debut album, so i can give you some full multitracks, all tracks are real and di-tracks for guitars also

for examle we have this little song without vocal http://rapidshare.com/files/219973638/metal-mixing1303.mp3.html
not album version, only demo
I like the song very much! Are these real drums? How are the guitars recorded, they sound a bit "digital" to my ears. Did you record vocals already? Shall we mix this one together?
BTW: Where are you from?