An idea to compare our techniques

alright!

sorry it took me so long, but for some damn reason i can't access UM forums at home anymore, only at my girlfriend's place (getting an error "you must have javascript enabled to view this site"...of course it IS enabled. anyone got a clue why i'm getting this message?).

so, here it is, my first attempt:
http://drop.io/retaliation

sorry, just an mp3, no screenshot - i'm too dumb for that, it seems :D i have absolutely no idea how to do a screenshot....whatever.

so, flame away :D of course, if you got any particular question about what i did and why, go ahead....after all thats the purpose of this thread lol ^^

alright!
so, here it is, my first attempt:
http://drop.io/retaliation

sorry, just an mp3, no screenshot - i'm too dumb for that, it seems :D i have absolutely no idea how to do a screenshot....whatever.
1st: A screenshot can be made with Alt+Print (copies the screen to the clipboard). Open any drawing program (mspaint.exe) and press Ctrl+V. If that does not work (it does not when "screenshooting" Pro Tools on my machine), download Greenshot, a little tool that does stuff like that very easily.

My first questions regarding your mix:
1. Your mix (as well as ahjteam's) sounds very scooped in the lower mid area. What did you do and why?
2. How did you tame the overheads?

I'm dling the drums (quantized) and guitars to take a listen. Are those the right drums that you'll want to use?

Update to a newer version.

already did that, to the newest version, no success.

"Clear your browser cache and try again. Firefox: Tools | Options | Privacy | Private Data: Clear Now... (tick all). IE: Tools | Internet Options | Browsing History: Delete... (tick all)."

likewise :(

My first questions regarding your mix:
1. Your mix (as well as ahjteam's) sounds very scooped in the lower mid area. What did you do and why?
2. How did you tame the overheads?

1.) really? i thought it was rather balanced, with more of a mid-spike than anything tbh....maybe some differences in the monitoring chain (room etc) are taking it's toll here?
anyways, i didn't do anything in particular regarding the lower midrange iirc....i tried to make the bass sit with the guitars, with the latter being rather thin actually, in order to make room for the bass esp in the lower mids area.
other than that, i *think* i did a slight cut around 300hz for the whole drum group to get rid of some mud, but i'm not sure right now (don't have the files on this pc....and can't recheck *and* post from at home, see above :heh: )

2.) once again, if my memory serves me i didn't use a whole lot of overheads...a lot of the cymbal ambience is coming from the room sound.
i also put reaverb across the drumbus to get some additional ambience and feel for space.
other than that....i pretty much gated away as much bleed as i could, using floorfish set pretty extreme...this is for kick, snare, and toms.
i really didn't like how my snare processing interfered with the hihat bleed, though. i'm used to processing programmed drums rather than real ones, so i'm not that experienced when it comes to bleed issues.
i guess it did work out ok for this mix, although i would have preferred much less hihat in the snare.

btw, first use of reaper for this project....beta 3 actually. well, i guess i'll do some more stuff with reaper in the future! quick interface, that's for sure.

I'm from New Orleans. Can I just provide tracks and allow others to mix?
Sure, I see two options here:
1. If you have miced guitars, live drums, bass and vocals the chance is very good that we will ditch our own tracks and use yours, because they are complete (you know, we are still missing vocals and a real bass).
2. If not, you can always post the tracks on another thread (like this one, where CrazyClown posted his tracks for mixing).

Fragle, could you please post your bass and guitar EQ settings (textual or screenshot)?
Maybe you could try to install different browsers (Firefox, IE, Safari) to check if one of them does not come up with that mysterious javascript error. If every browser keeps bugging you, something outside your browsers could be the reason (are you running any internet protection software?)

"Fragle, could you please post your bass and guitar EQ settings (textual or screenshot)?"
no problem, will do so once i get back home (=friday)

as for the forum error, it's like this:
i'm running both firefox and IE on my machine....i can't access UM forums with either one, despite updating java, reinstalling firefox, clearing cache...basically all i could think of.
i'm running the same operating system (vista) on my gf's machine, using once again the latest firefox, and as you can see/read, everythings just fine.
at home, i'm on a WLAN network which is based around an UMTS router (lack of DSL, countryside :D )....there are 2 other machines in that network. one of them also doesn't let me access the forum, on the third one though i can access the forum via internet explorer - firefox is still giving me trouble, though.
and btw, this only occured since i guess 6-8 weeks ago...prior to that everything was just fine.
we did not change one single thing in our wlan network, btw.

i'm really running out of ideas over here, but i got to admit that i'm not exactly a computer crack though....

sorry for the thread hijack, i guess i'll open another one in the general section.

to get back on topic, as i said above, settings will be up on friday/saturday (i hope).

as far as i can remember off the top of my head, i used both mics for the les paul, with the sm57 being louder, as well as the DI's with tss->soloc on the OD/clean channel, gain pretty much maxed, other than that nothing out of the regular setting-wise->kefir, with GH's original in between impulse IIRC (i figured it's free, so that should be fine, right?), bused all together, some reaxcomp, and reaeq....maybe also ferox, i don't remember.
i also used the charvel sm57 tracks, EQ'd rather weird to blend them in with the les paul tracks....sounded like shit on its own, but filled in the gaps so to speak.
for bass i used the POD track for the main bottom sound, eq'd to make space for the kick, and the DI with TSS and camelcrusher IIRC....could also be camelphatfree.
bussed together, some more EQ to make it blend with the guitars and drums (esp in the low mid area), and you wa shock IIRC...maybe also some blockfish, or maybe even one more instance of camelcrusher, i would need to check that....
i also had another copy of the DI bass track with some chorus on it, blended in very slightly, to thicken it up and give it more depth.

ah yeah, and as i felt that it was a rather sparse instrumentation :))) which left me with a lot of space, i also added a *slight* reverb (reaverb) to the guitars, to thicken them up some more...think ride the lightning basically.

Fragle, thanx for your mix comments!
Regarding your browser probs, I am pretty clueless, too. But you can check this page http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.aspx which analyzes your browser capabilities (which might be altered by a proxy, router, firewall or whatever). Compare the settings (especially the "Scripting Capabilites") from your home system with those of your gf's (or any other working one) and see if something useful comes up.