Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

Decided to give the band a shot and spent $12 including shipping for a new copy of

519rwjvpTVL.jpg

Great deal. But those albums are a bit different than their current sound. Similar, but a little sadder. Good picks though. Weather Systems/Universal next. :)

True but they still have done a good bit of A Natural Disaster live. I think some of it has had to go for the new tour though.

that's saying a lot. especially after this year with two moments - one watching Daniel tear up as Ragnar sang the strong part of This Heart of Mine and Oliva tearing up during Streets.

Seriously, you threw down the gauntlet.

We'll talk after the show next year. ;)

Believe and This Heart of Mine are two of my favorite songs ever. I know exactly the dimension of my comment and stand behind it. You'll see.

looking at their most recent set lists the title track and Closer are being played reguarly

Yeah a lot more was on Universal but with the album they had to make room. I see them always playing A Natural Disaster (the song) live and they seem to really like Closer though I'd rather hear Are You There?, Flying or Electricity from A Natural Disaster.

I have a feeling Are You There will be on the acoustic set... The acoustic version on Hindsight seems to work best live...

Had completely forgotten about Hindsight, that's a great release. Actually I think that would be a good starting point for a lot of people

I just registered so that I could comment on this thread. Anathema is my favorite band in the world, and I cannot wait for this show. This year's ProgPower was my first, and I lost it when Anathema was announced as the headliner for Friday. I saw them live during their last tour here in the US (with Alcest) and I can safely say that it was the best concert experience of my life. So incredibly emotional. To those of you long-time Anathema fans who haven't had a chance to see them live yet- you are in for a real treat. And to those of you who aren't long-time fans but still love the band- you're in for the same treat. It's going to blow you away.

Here's a video of One Last Goodbye being performed (not the Bluray) in a far-off land, just to give you a sense of how emotional this performance could get. It's my favorite video on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiq54bBKHzQ

Yes. Tears.

And they're also playing an acoustic set for the Gold Badges? Oh man, what I would give for a Gold Badge.

Just curious Senecadawg, are you a fan of anyone else who's playing? If not, give Riverside a shot. Probably the closest band to Anathema that's playing(but still not THAT close) - incredible, incredible band. Especially their first two albums.

I seriously love all Anathema, and own most of their albums, including all of their most recent material. I would still love love love to see and hear some of the really old material, from Silent Enigma, and Alternative.4, or even something from Pentecost III, of which I have the cassette of and is the first thing I ever heard from them.

I seriously love all Anathema, and own most of their albums, including all of their most recent material. I would still love love love to see and hear some of the really old material, from Silent Enigma, and Alternative.4, or even something from Pentecost III, of which I have the cassette of and is the first thing I ever heard from them.

So good to hear that someone else on here loves Pentecost III, I rate Kingdom and We the Gods right up there as some of the best songs they've written

Just curious Senecadawg, are you a fan of anyone else who's playing? If not, give Riverside a shot. Probably the closest band to Anathema that's playing(but still not THAT close) - incredible, incredible band. Especially their first two albums.

While Anathema is definitely the biggest draw for me, I am a fan of some of the other bands. Particularly the ones slotted for Saturday. I'm looking forward to Persefone, Royal Hunt, Angra, Dynazty, and yes- Riverside most of all. I'm not familiar with Helker, or most of the Friday bands for that matter, but those last five on Saturday should be great for me. Although, I have to admit, I haven't heard the first two Riverside albums. Just the last two, which are both fantastic imo. I'm going to check out the first couple as soon as I get a chance.

Back on to Anathema though, I agree with Word of God; I'd looove to hear them play some of the older songs, particularly those from Alternative 4 and Judgement.

Since I'm a sucker for rankings:
Weather Systems
Judgement
We're Here Because We're Here
Alternative 4
Distant Satellites
Natural Disaster
Silent Enigma
A Fine Day to Exit
Eternity
Serenades (they're all great though)

Can't wait! :cool:

Okay good. :) It's always interesting to me when people decide to go to festivals for one band and one band only, and I envy the people who are either THAT crazy big of a fan or THAT rich/bored enough to be able to pull that off. haha

Pretty much every Riverside album is great. The third album, Rapid Eye Movement, is often considered their weakest - but a lot of that comes from people comparing it to their OTHER albums - also the tracks off bonus second disk which only some versions have, contain two of the best tracks off that whole double-album. (Rapid Eye Movement itself, Reality Dream IV)

Also, don't forget to check out the two Riverside EPs - 'Memories in my Head' and ESPECIALLY 'Voices in my Head', although Voices is probably easy to dislike if you don't care for acoustic guitars and experimenting with programmed drumming.

See you at the fest :D

I've loved this band for a long time. The first album I bought of theirs was 'The Silent Enigma', based on nothing more than the band name, logo, front cover, and song titles. I've been a big fan of theirs ever since. 'Eternity' is my favorite Anathema album overall, but I love all their stuff. I do hope they play two or three early songs, like 'Sunset of Age' and 'Angelica', but no matter their setlist, it will be a night to remember. Thank you, Glenn!

I ordered Distant Satellites and Weather Systems today. I'd've gotten We're Here Because We're Here, but I was shopping on Amazon at the time and they were all stupid expensive.