Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

interesting posts by the band on their facebook page

2015 is going to represent a year of diverse live performances for Anathema. With some major surprising news coming soon -- as well as new unchartered territory with the UK Cathedral concerts -- we are beginning to focus on the bands entire catalogue, including material going back to our roots... We were thinking of trying out a few songs in the magnificent ORBITA HALL - Wroclaw, Poland.

What would you like to hear in the setlist?

Thanks for all of your back catalogue song choices yesterday – if haven’t had your say, please comment below with your top 5 Anathema songs from the 1990-99 era! We are thinking of trying out a few old songs in the magnificent Hala Orbita - Wroclaw, Poland on Monday...

:yow: :worship: :headbang:

Head Control>>>>> Anathema...

Why you posted the HC video on this thread is a mystery and to these ears it's so much better than anything from Anathema....

Their music is indeed very evocative and I have a lot of respect for what they do. Unfortunately for me, it's similar to Wolverine; it just depresses the hell out of me.

I'll have to agree with The General's assessment above. Clearly Amathema are good musicians, however my tastes tend to be a little harder edged than that. For example, I liked Jon Oliva's "Festival" more than I did his "Raise the Curtain" album.

689dff9d-c3d8-44ce-ac27-790f08994760.png

Anathema at The Circus Helsinki, November 7th 2014

"...The set list was comprised of a broad range of songs from Anathema’s generous discography, but the key word tonight is atmosphere, and here is where the true performance lies. The smoky lights and dark venue force the audience to focus on what’s happening on the stage and to feel the whirlwind of emotions that lie under the surface of every note uttered or played this evening. The audience was totally captivated by this performance, and swayed together at times, even danced together in some cases...

...As I peered at various faces in the crowd, some were smiling, some were laughing, some were singing along and some had tears streaming down their faces. But not one person was able to leave tonight without saying they had been touched somehow by these talented artists and skilled storytellers...."

I swear to you, if they do the set they did in Helsinki, it will be absolutely PERFECT. They picked some of the best songs from their most recent material, have three songs from Judgement (my favorite album), and one of the more crushing songs from The Silent Enigma. I wanna hear some of that death doom too!!!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2014/the-circus-helsinki-finland-2bcc00a6.html

They are doing a special resonance tour next year and are going to be joined by former members Darren White and Duncan Patterson. So we will be hearing a lot more of the Death Doom stuff.

Setlist from the first show of their Resonance tour, epic 3 hour gig

1. Anathema
2. Distant Satellites
3. Untouchable, Part 1
4. Untouchable, Part 2
5. A Simple Mistake
6. A Natural Disaster
7. Closer
8. Pressure
9. One Last Goodbye
---------------------------
10. Shroud of False
11. Fragile Dreams
12. Empty
13. Lost Control
14. Angelica
15. Eternity Part I
16. Eternity Part II
17. Eternity Part III
18. Shroud of Frost
19. Sunset of Age
20. A Dying Wish
----------------------------
21. Crestfallen (Falling Deeper version)
22. Kingdom
23. Mine Is Yours to Drown In (Ours Is the New Tribe)
24. Under a Veil (of Black Lace)
25. Lovelorn Rhapsody
26. They (Will Always) Die
27. Sleepless

:worship:

All that doom :headbang:

Saw them twice last year in Australia and they were easily the best shows of the year. Potentially two of the best shows I've ever seen. One of my favourite bands and I'm amazed that I'll be able to see them again in another country in September.

Side note, I've really struggled with their new album. Everything they have released has been instant gold for me, however the songs on this new one just dont seem to click. I'll keep pressing on with it as I'm sure it will properly sink in eventually. I hope!

They are doing a special resonance tour next year and are going to be joined by former members Darren White and Duncan Patterson. So we will be hearing a lot more of the Death Doom stuff.
I've been thinking that they will likely break out some of the older stuff since it will be ProgPower, I'm not entirely sold that they will do 'a lot' of it. However if they do something similar to Helsinki, well that will just be amazing.

Side note, I've really struggled with their new album. Everything they have released has been instant gold for me, however the songs on this new one just dont seem to click. I'll keep pressing on with it as I'm sure it will properly sink in eventually. I hope!
It's funny, when I first listened to it, I did give it a fair listen but I kept wondering what the hell was going on in my ears. It took A LOT of digesting as it were for me to "get it" but when I did, sheesh! I don't consider it better than Weather Systems or even We're Here Because We're Here but it's very solid and a lot more stripped back than the other two albums. There's less going on but I find it works out in a very favourable way. I think that if they hadn't toned it down some, they ran the risk of repeating Weather Systems with different lyrics and they are all about evolution! I'm thinking it's kind of a transition to whatever they have up their sleeves for the next album.

It's funny, when I first listened to it, I did give it a fair listen but I kept wondering what the hell was going on in my ears. It took A LOT of digesting as it were for me to "get it" but when I did, sheesh! I don't consider it better than Weather Systems or even We're Here Because We're Here but it's very solid and a lot more stripped back than the other two albums. There's less going on but I find it works out in a very favourable way. I think that if they hadn't toned it down some, they ran the risk of repeating Weather Systems with different lyrics and they are all about evolution! I'm thinking it's kind of a transition to whatever they have up their sleeves for the next album.

Let me get this straight they have stripped down their sound but it takes a lot of time to digest the new sound...:err:

I didn't feel like it took a lot of time to digest, but that's just me. Favorite album of last year and yes, I think indicative of where they're going next (more experimentation with electronica).

Even still, as much as I loved DS, it's not a top 5 Anathema album for me.

Let me get this straight they have stripped down their sound but it takes a lot of time to digest the new sound...:err:

Not a hard concept to understand. A change in sound whether it be a simplified or complex direction can take time to adjust for a listener if they have been used to hearing something a certain way for a long time. It's got nothing to do with the complexity or lack of, it's the overall change/adjustment to the listeners perspective.

Not a hard concept to understand. A change in sound whether it be a simplified or complex direction can take time to adjust for a listener if they have been used to hearing something a certain way for a long time. It's got nothing to do with the complexity or lack of, it's the overall change/adjustment to the listeners perspective.

If you say so...

I'm thrilled I listen to all kinds of music so there is really no adjusting from "hearing something certain way for a long time"...