Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

I agree with glenn 100%. I flew to Vancouver to see them at the rickshaw. I never thought I would see them if I didn't. Thank You Glenn!

I agree with glenn 100%. I flew to Vancouver to see them at the rickshaw. I never thought I would see them if I didn't. Thank You Glenn!

I miss Vancouver. Where is the Rickshaw located? I've only been to the Commodore, Richards on Richards, QET, Orpheum, Pac Coliseum and the arenas.

The blu Ray is pretty good. Think the drummer is the only guy with a respectable haircut.

Head to the 4:49 mark and enjoy the bliss that you are exactly asking for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nYeV_4TyY
Thank you, Sensei. Do they use them in other songs, too? I'm not being a pain in the ass on purpose. I'm just a sucker for guitar solos since I grew up in the 80's. Does ANATHEMA use them sparsely? 50 percent of the time? Higher percentage? Thank you, Glenn and everyone else who answers this for your patience.

I'd say sparsely as they're more about emotion and mood but as Glenn posted there are occasions they do them.

Thank you, Sensei. Do they use them in other songs, too? I'm not being a pain in the ass on purpose. I'm just a sucker for guitar solos since I grew up in the 80's. Does ANATHEMA use them sparsely? 50 percent of the time? Higher percentage? Thank you, Glenn and everyone else who answers this for your patience.

I would also say sparsely, but when they do..it's pure magic. However, they do something similar to Floyd that I think you would appreciate. They employ the building crescendo guitar riff. In other words, the soaring leads if you will. That truly enhances the mood of the song.

A beautiful song with a beautiful solo at the 3:00 mark.

A building crescendo with the main riff, yet no feature solo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've turned my phone completely off three times in the history of the festival during a set:

1. Weapons of Mass Destruction
2. Evergrey- A Night to Remember Again
3. Oliva- Streets

Add....

4. Anathema. I just want to close my eyes, wrap my arms around my wife, and forget the world exists for 90 minutes.

Well, I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread, so apologies in advance if something similar has already been posted:

While in the ProgPower realm I generally lean 1% Prog and 99% Power, I am very much looking forward to this band. I just got in to them early this year (via the song "Untouchable, Pt. 1"), and I had been kicking myself for not going to see them open for HIM at Center Stage last March, wondering "when the hell will I have the opportunity to see them again?" Thanks for booking these guys and giving me the chance to see them after all :kickass:

This is one of my Top Ten bands. I was super jealous when Mary got to see them at a music festival last summer. We left the venue right before the video announcement for next year as we were both really hungry. So we're sitting it TAP and I'm watching the twitter feed and reading the bands as they come up, and I think the HOLY FUCK I uttered when Anathema came up was heard around the restaurant (to be fair, there were a good number of "holy fucks" uttered - next year is one of the best lineups ever). I really thought I'd never get to see this band live.

I am beyond excited for this performance next year, and even more excited that this is the band we are sponsoring. I will be up by the stage for this, loving every second. And likely crying.

dt

So this band finally clicked for me. It's weird, I remember when Glenn posted posted a link to "Everything" years ago and he & everyone else were going on about how good the album was. I tried that album and didn't really like it at all and couldn't understand why it was so big on thia board. I tried the next 2 studio albums when they were released and they did nothing for me. Then when it was announced they were one of the headliners this coming year I decided to give them another try. I don't know what changed in my brain but now I the last month I can't stop listening to the last 3 studio albums and I have all of a sudden become one of my favorite bands. Thanks Glenn for exposing to a band I never gave a proper listen. Their music and lyrics are truly incredible.

So this band finally clicked for me. It's weird, I remember when Glenn posted posted a link to "Everything" years ago and he & everyone else were going on about how good the album was. I tried that album and didn't really like it at all and couldn't understand why it was so big on thia board. I tried the next 2 studio albums when they were released and they did nothing for me. Then when it was announced they were one of the headliners this coming year I decided to give them another try. I don't know what changed in my brain but now I the last month I can't stop listening to the last 3 studio albums and I have all of a sudden become one of my favorite bands. Thanks Glenn for exposing to a band I never gave a proper listen. Their music and lyrics are truly incredible.

My favourite kind of posts.

Interesting seeing the keyboardist Daniel Cardoso, who has been a great recent addition to the band, take over drumming duties on the current tour

Is there anything this guy can't do, God damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDO-G3hrMmE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDO-G3hrMmE[/ame]

Great Freaking Album!!!!!!