Any good prog/power/neo-classical style metal bands that I haven't heard?

arglebargle

Dec 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
Stuff like Symphony X, y'know.

I already know of Adagio, Time Requiem, DGM, etc. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. I'm not looking for straight prog ala Dream Theater, and also no crazy neo-classical shredfests like Yngwie. No pure power metal, either. Something that combines all styles, like Symphony X; something with more focus on songwriting than showing off.

Gogogo, start recommending.

:D

arglebargle said:
something with more focus on songwriting than showing off.
3 other bands so amazingly good at songwriting that they don't need to show off with their skills although technically they could are

Vanden Plas
Threshold
Pain Of Salvation

Along with SyX the top cream of prog IMO that should not be missed out on!

arglebargle said:
Stuff like Symphony X, y'know.

I already know of Adagio, Time Requiem, DGM, etc. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. I'm not looking for straight prog ala Dream Theater, and also no crazy neo-classical shredfests like Yngwie. No pure power metal, either. Something that combines all styles, like Symphony X; something with more focus on songwriting than showing off.

Gogogo, start recommending.

:D

Evergrey, Redemption, Mirrorstone....

Nightwish
Pallas
Mob Rules
Masterplan
The Gathering
Valley's Eve
Within Temptation

Not sure if these all meet your criteria cause from what I gathered you want unique bands that have talent and are really good. And all of the above are awesome!!!

hehehe so far I have all the albums of all the bands that have been mentioned in this thread ;)

Okay, I already know of and love the following bands mentioned:

Kamalot
Angra
Circle II Circle
Evergrey
Vanden Plas
Threshold
Pain Of Salvation
Nightwish

I've also heard Redemption, but I don't really like them.

Mirrorstone seems to be what I'm looking for, judging by that other topic (it's around here somewhere...)

Also, Rakan, I haven't heard most of those bands you mentioned, thanks bro.

KEEP THE RECOMMENDATIONS COMING.

Yngvai, I've already heard your stuff, and it's awesome. Put together a band already, dumbass, and start recording. :p I'll check out that friend's stuff, since I always like to hear talented amateur musicians.

shredmaster said:
Wouldn`t that be kinda difficult since Circus Maximus hasn`t even released a full album on a label yet? :err:

hehehe did not see your link :) So that is one that I do not have. But now i am going to get their songs and check them out :)

Some other good bands that are worth checking out:

Metalium
Agalloch
Avantasia
Blaze
Bathory
Blind Guardian
Chroma Key
Concerto Moon
Crimson Glory
Dio
Dionysus
Dream Evil
Edenbrigde
Elven King
Enchant (just picked up their albums and so far so good :))
Impellitteri
Jag Panzer
Luca Turilli
Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica

Ok here is what I did. I went through my collection and picked out all the ones that I activalry listen to (which means they are constantly in my CD changer or I have ripped them to MP3 and they are on my playlist on my computer). I would recommend you go through the list and find sites with clips and check these out. It is hard to judge someone's taste just by listing a few bands. I for one listen to ALL types of metal because I love guitar work and different voice styles. So far me what may sound kick ass and awesome may bore another. So just get some clips, check them out, and give me feedback on what you think. I have plenty more to recommend that I did not :)

ok I decided to add more :):)

Running Wild
Everon
Lacuna Coil
Nokturnal Mortum
Skyclad
Stratovarius

Those are also good (even though Stratovarius broke up :()