Are you christian and like Black Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicous

Nov 29, 2002
metal-rules.com
Maybe the energy and aesthetics of the music is the main attraction to the fans,
but is it morally correct to enjoy Black Metal if you are christian?
Is it ideological right?
For christian I refer to any denomination: catholic, protestant, orthodox, etc.
Any comments by believers, part-believers, non-believers and anti-religious metal comrades?

I am not Christian...But I think anyone is allowed to like any damn music they want to. So if a Christian likes Burzum Dark Throne or any "anti-christ" bands, it's his choice. Music is music there are no racial, religious, sexual restrictions. Well that's how it should be at least.

I'm christian and I listen to black metal...
Fuck black metallers, we listen to black metal only to make them cry and to make them stop playing black metal with gay lyrics, don't you think?

I am Christian/Catholic and I listen to Black Metal. Doesn't affect me even the slightest bit. Hell I can listen to a song saying God is not real 10x over and it still won't affect me. It's not considered 'wrong' to listen to as long as the person listening doesn't share the ideas of the lyricist. When someone believes in atheism, satanism, etc. because he heard it in the music and decided it was worth believing, THEN and only then is it wrong. The music in and of itself is not against teaching.

I am Christian, I rarely go to church but anyway, I don't listen to alot of black metal, but one of my favorite bands is Immolation and I really don't care what they say I believe what I believe and no matter what bands say it doesn't affect the way I think. Just cause I bands describes killing and raping and shit doesn't make me want to do that either.

JACKO: Do you honestly think all those "satanic" black metal bands believe in satanism? They are having a good laugh at all their teenage and/or loser fans who fall for the "philosophy" or "message" in their lyrics, it is a marketing move as much as anything. Religion does not have (and should not have) anything to do with music.

Naggamanteh said:
JACKO: Do you honestly think all those "satanic" black metal bands believe in satanism? They are having a good laugh at all their teenage and/or loser fans who fall for the "philosophy" or "message" in their lyrics, it is a marketing move as much as anything. Religion does not have (and should not have) anything to do with music.

Oh, absolutely. Burning down churches and going to jail was one of the best marketing schemes yet!

well some ppl do try and get a msg out to ppl via music. so i think you are wrong on that. but in saying that, id say the vast majority of bands arent trying to convey any religious msg.

im not all that into black metal. just dont really like much of it. but i am catholic ... and agree with nocturnal sun. you can listen to it (probably better you didnt) but just dont believe in it ...

well, I guess the same argument could be taken into place for jews, blacks, etc to listen to NSBM. personally, im jewish(born into, but im atheist), and I listen to Nokturnal Mortum, Burzum, graveland, hate forest, gontyna kry, absurd etc, but I only pay attention to the music and not the lyrics, so it doesn't usually bother me. Though, I do have some ukranian jewish friends who listen to nokturnal, and some have had discussions with me on whether it's 'right' or not to listen to the music. youre listening for the music itself, but being russian.ukranian, you can understand the lyrics and understand all the 'kill the jews, take back the land, white power!" lyrics. and is listening to the band(even though only for the music itself), supporting them? I say no, but others yes. any thoughts?

im chrisitan and i like some black metal, nothing i hear in music, lyrically, shakes my faith i listen to music for the musical purposes only, goes along the same lines as listening to some music about snorting coke and shootin smack, just because they preach it dont mean im gonna go start doing a bunch of drugs.

Jaded said:
well, I guess the same argument could be taken into place for jews, blacks, etc to listen to NSBM. personally, im jewish(born into, but im atheist), and I listen to Nokturnal Mortum, Burzum, graveland, hate forest, gontyna kry, absurd etc, but I only pay attention to the music and not the lyrics, so it doesn't usually bother me. Though, I do have some ukranian jewish friends who listen to nokturnal, and some have had discussions with me on whether it's 'right' or not to listen to the music. youre listening for the music itself, but being russian.ukranian, you can understand the lyrics and understand all the 'kill the jews, take back the land, white power!" lyrics. and is listening to the band(even though only for the music itself), supporting them? I say no, but others yes. any thoughts?
Nokturnal Mortum are good businesmen. Before, in times when they didn't push their Aryan quotes everywhere, they sold their CD's for USD10. Now they are big, evil NS blackmetal musicians and they sell their art for €14. :) The more controversial they are and the more people discuss them, the more $$ they make. Of course, some people will always naively believe in everything they say. They live from such people. :) Not that I don't like the music, mind. :)

Similarly, people at www.resistance.com and other ones similar to them live from frustrated individuals who fall for all the Nazi BS. They sell them badges, posters, and loads of other crap for insane amounts of $$. All the Nazi BS is in principle similar to Jehova's Witnesses, it is just a different variation.

Living Inside said:
Religion is made up in the mind and does not exist and It is pure fantasy.

But how does that differ from anything else?

NocturnalSun said:
I am Christian/Catholic and I listen to Black Metal. Doesn't affect me even the slightest bit. Hell I can listen to a song saying God is not real 10x over and it still won't affect me. It's not considered 'wrong' to listen to as long as the person listening doesn't share the ideas of the lyricist.
I agree with you, I'm Catholic as well, and I could listen to that stuff also and it wouldn't effect what I believe in or whatever, but it would be wrong if a Christian were to believe in that.

lyrics are over rated. this is no different than the discussions weve had on people listening to extol. they are christian yet tons of non christians, like myself, listen to em.

everyone has their own ideas, that doesnt mean everyone is closed minded to the point of not listening to bands that dont fit their ideology. some are, which is sad, but alot arent.
~gR~

The question could be rephrased as 'does a band's ideology affect how much you value their music?' Then the whole art/entertainment debate starts again. Personally I can't be bothered.

Exactly, GR. I download most of my black metal, anyway, so they're not making money off of me with their little satanic gimmicks. If I really like a band without gimmicks, I'll buy the cds, but if they use the marketing schemes, I usually don't buy. The business side of music is very shady most of the times and the people running it are mostly overly greedy.

and guardian of darkness, what you interpret as their 'ideology' is about 99% of the time complete bullshit. It's just lyrics made for shock value, which in turn brings in more cash from all the gullible people who fall for it.

I am Catholic and I do love some Black Metal. I don't think music should be restricted to any boundaries. I find the lyrics as an interesting point of view...some views I fully disagree with and some I fully agree with. You cannot take all views and lyrics literally. Not even all of the artists want the fans to so as long as you are strong in your belief there is no reason to not enjoy the musical talent of a band that has a different belief than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.