Bands who can't pull it off live...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
The SX/Epica/Into Eternity thread made me think...

I can't think of another band whose so universally loved on disc, but so frequently panned live, as Into Eternity. I was trying to think of who else falls into this category, but came up empty. There's got to be others.

Who else falls into this category?

Zod

EDIT: My question wasn't really about energy level. My question pertained to being able to perform live, what you play on your CDs.

This will probably come off as heresy here in this forum but Blind Guardian didn't cut it in Prog Power III. I expected this crazy show since their music is so over the top but all i got was a really good lead guitarist and a singer who looked like he just got out of bed, I can't even remember if the other band members interacted with the crowd or not. Maybe it wasn't a good night so I guess I'll give them another chance if they come close to where I live.

I hate to do it, but i have to +1 on Blind Guardian - I've been completely disappointed by them live.

I've seen Into Eternity have good nights, and I've seen them be awful and completely scattered. One of the their big problems is that the sound needs to be pristine, or they just turn into mush.

This will probably come off as heresy here in this forum but Blind Guardian didn't cut it in Prog Power III. ... Maybe it wasn't a good night so I guess I'll give them another chance if they come close to where I live.

I must agree concerning their PPUSA debut, but they were 10X better when they came through last December - even if they were all suffering from the flu by the time they got to Atlanta :ill:. But seriously, they looked much better on stage this time around. I think they even looked and sounded better than on their DVD.

I'll chime in again later if I can think of anyone who fits the question Zod posted initially.

I must agree concerning their PPUSA debut, but they were 10X better when they came through last December - even if they were all suffering from the flu by the time they got to Atlanta :ill:. But seriously, they looked much better on stage this time around. I think they even looked and sounded better than on their DVD.

I'll chime in again later if I can think of anyone who fits the question Zod posted initially.

Cool, well if they come to Charlotte again I'll definitely check em out.

Bland Guardian was terrible both times I saw them. I got so bored I walked out.

Some of the 80's pop-metal bands have been hit or miss: Ratt, Motley Crue and Cinderella all come to mind. I've seen each of them be great and each be terrible.

And ironically, when I said I couldn't think of any other bands, the band I toyed with suggesting, was Blind Guardian. However, I've seen them twice since, once in NYC and than this past summer at Wacken, and both performances were good.

Zod

I've caught hell for saying this before, but I would throw Opeth into this category. I don't really care for their music to begin with, but they had absolutely no stage presence the two or three times I saw them. I know tons of people who love this band and own all their albums, but IMO they just can't pull off a good live show.

Blind Guardian really can't pull it off live. Hansi doesn't have his range anymore, and from what I've been told, hasn't for some time. A shame, really.

And this might get me lynched, but I don't think Edguy can quite pull it off live anymore, either. They're still loads of fun, but Tobias sings in a lower key live, than on the albums (BG does this too.) It's rather disappointing.

Kamelot is hit and miss. They were dead on when I saw them a year ago, but Met-Al said Khan was straining like mad at ProgPower, and then again on this last tour. :(

Cellador doesn't pull it off live at all. I've been following their progress since Chris posted on the DragonForce forums a few years ago asking people to give his band a listen. I was excited to see them at ProgPower, but disappointed at their live show. It seemed a bit sloppy, and Mikey seemed to be having a hard time vocally.

I disagree about Epica not being able to pull it off live. They put on an excellent show when I saw them.

I've caught hell for saying this before, but I would throw Opeth into this category. I don't really care for their music to begin with, but they had absolutely no stage presence the two or three times I saw them. I know tons of people who love this band and own all their albums, but IMO they just can't pull off a good live show.

In Opeth's case, they play it just fine, they're just boring. :lol:

I agree with you on this one as well. I went to Gigantour last year and sat down during the Opeth set, something I rarely do. there was just no energy on stage, which is understandable since their music is complex and slow but DO SOMETHING PEOPLE!! The lead singer was cool though, he had this hippy vibe that I dug.

Agreed, which is why I didn't list them.

I suspect I should have been more specific. This thread was intended to be less less about energy level, and more about executing the music live, that you play on disc. And and that respect, Opeth is as good as anyone. But yes, boring live.

Zod

Completely agree - if you want to go to their show and hear them recreate what they do in the studio, they do it very well. If you're looking for an energetic force of a live show from them, the only way you'll get it is if the crowd is going nuts on that particular night. They have zero stage presence unless you count Mike's witty banter between songs.

Jason

Kamelot were fine here - I know Kahn was just coming down with something that night, though. Tobias can't sing half of his stuff anymore, but they still delivered (even if they did look bored, they weren't a train wreck.)

If you want to start picking on vocalists only, Dream Theater has to be mentioned - was there anyone in the '90s that was as consistently awful live as LaBrie?

This will probably come off as heresy here in this forum but Blind Guardian didn't cut it in Prog Power III. I expected this crazy show since their music is so over the top but all i got was a really good lead guitarist and a singer who looked like he just got out of bed, I can't even remember if the other band members interacted with the crowd or not. Maybe it wasn't a good night so I guess I'll give them another chance if they come close to where I live.

I couldn't agree more. And that was my exact philosophy heading into Wacken this year. Here's how it turned out:

"It was now time for one of my most anticipated shows of the weekend, Blind Guardian. Having witnessed an uninspired performance by the band previously in the USA at the ProgPower III festival, I’ve always heard and was convinced that the band simply had an off night and are actually a very tight live act. I’ve been waiting a long time to witness them again and what better way than in their native country on one of the grandest stages of them all, at Wacken Open Air.

Well, the moment the band tore into ’War of Wrath/Into the Storm’ in front of a capacity crowd as darkness descended upon the land, I knew I was in for a treat. I couldn’t have asked for a better opener and the band was just shredding with lead singer Hansi Kursch in top form. Song after song of most of my very favorite Blind Guardian tracks were churning out left and right, and the new songs sounded like they were made to be played live. The incredible high definition monitor captured every detail of an inspired, energetic and purposeful set. The crowd expressed their adoration every step of the way and I was highly moved at having the privilege of witnessing something so special. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard so many people singing in unison in my entire life as I heard during ’Valhalla’. It was a moment I’ll never forget and sent chills up and down my aching but soldiering spine. There is a bond that exists like no other between many of the bands in our community and their fans, and this was an example of that relationship at its zenith. Flags were flying, fists were pumping and the earth was shaking. For myself this was total redemption in every sense of the word. This was the type of magic that I traveled halfway around the world for. This was the essence of everything I love about heavy metal."

So I would say that if you do have a chance to see them again live, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Jason

Agreed, which is why I didn't list them.

I suspect I should have been more specific. This thread was intended to be less less about energy level, and more about executing the music live, that you play on disc. And and that respect, Opeth is as good as anyone. But yes, boring live.

Zod

Yeah, I think some people missed the point. I don't think it has to sound like the CD, but it has to be good. Kamelot, Epica, Opeth, et al, while singers may miss a few notes, generally play/sing their music just fine. IE is frequently accused of (and, as I've seen at least once, are guilty of) actually not being able to execute the pieces of the songs live.

Nevermore during their heavy drinking days could often be a prime offender in this category. I've seen them when Van was the only thing that saved them from total disaster. That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

Well, my turn to get lynched - Children of Bodom. Oh yea, their shows are wild and full of energy; in the crowd, but the last couple times I saw them in the states, they looked bored, hungover, drunk or all three. Sloppy as hell. To be fair, at Tuska in Helsinki they were much better.

I know what you're saying about Blind Guardian, but the last two times I saw them they were great. Same with Kamelot. Now W.A.S.P. fell flat for me twice this summer. Blackie didn't have his romper room mike stand so I guess they can't turn it on without it. :Smug:

I also have seen Into Eternity do blistering, dead-on performances and then on other outings disintigrate into the muddled cacophony that some here have complained about. I think all the line-up changes have hurt their ability to be consistently tight.

Yeah, I think some people missed the point. I don't think it has to sound like the CD, but it has to be good. Kamelot, Epica, Opeth, et al, while singers may miss a few notes, generally play/sing their music just fine.
A few notes, here and there, is no big deal. I'm not showing up to hear the CD performed note for note. If I wanted that, I'd stay home and listen to the disc on headphones. I'll gladly trade energy for perfection. But with everything, there's balance. If you're overly energetic, to the point where the music becomes sloppy, ala Manticora, than that doesn't work either. Also, while singers don't have to hit every note, I want to hear them hit the big notes, ala "Take Hold of the Flame".

Nevermore during their heavy drinking days could often be a prime offender in this category. I've seen them when Van was the only thing that saved them from total disaster. That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
I've seen Nevermore many times live. And although I've always heard the horror stories, I've been fortunate never to catch the band, or more specifically Warrell, on a "bad night".

Zod

To me it has to be without a doubt Savage Circus, especially when a vocalists has to read all the lyrics.