Who is your "Rodney Dangerfield" band ?

Vanden Plas. I think after the latest release, they have made more of a splash than before...
Bryant said:
I agree that they're vastly underrated. But the "splash" is more like a drip. It's only on this forum, that they're getting any sort of recognitiom.

Zod

One note about Vanden Plas. According to Amazon.com, Evergrey's "Monday Morning Apocalypse" is ranked 10,797 in sales. Vanden Plas' "Christ 0" is ranked 3,903. I am certainly not equating sales to quality (we all know that's the case or we would all have bought the new Dixie CHicks) However, it seems as though Vanden Plas is not doing too bad with this one.

Bryant

Bryant said:
One note about Vanden Plas. According to Amazon.com, Evergrey's "Monday Morning Apocalypse" is ranked 10,797 in sales. Vanden Plas' "Christ 0" is ranked 3,903. I am certainly not equating sales to quality (we all know that's the case or we would all have bought the new Dixie CHicks) However, it seems as though Vanden Plas is not doing too bad with this one.
Glad to hear it. Those two discs don't deserve to exist on the same planet.

By the way, any idea what those rankings are based on? Is it year to date?

Zod

General Zod said:
If we're talking about this on larger scale, than my answer is, every band I listen to deserves a better fate than what their current record and ticket sales suggest. If we're talking about on places like this forum, UM, the underground (I use that term loosely), than I would say the following:

Nevermore (anyone surprised?) - while these guys are bigger than many in the genre, it's a crime they're STILL unable to do a proper headlining tour in the US. Meanwhile, crap bands like In Flames (new stuff is crap... don't argue, you know it's crap) and Children of Bodom (see In Flames) sell out good sized clubs.

As for lesser known bands that deserve more recognition (confining my answer to bands we might discuss here), 3, Grand Magus, Kiaus, Persuader, Pharaoh, Lanfear and Zero Hour.

Zod
I think Nevermore gets plenty of respect, but I agree with several of your lesser known choices. I hear ya when it comes to Nevermore's touring situations, but they are big enough to land a prime opening spot for Disturbed in Europe, and be named as a headliner at fests like Prog Power.

They also sell more albums than the majority of the bands mentioned on this board. Also, everyone that comes to this board is familiar with Nevermore either by name or music.

Like you say though .. in the grand scheme of things they could be even much bigger because they are a standout band, but all things considered I don't consider them a "Rodney Dangerfield" band.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I think Nevermore gets plenty of respect, but I agree with several of your lesser known choices. I hear ya when it comes to Nevermore's touring situations, but they are big enough to land a prime opening spot for Disturbed in Europe, and be named as a headliner at fests like Prog Power.
While they have more than their share of fanboys (like me), the fact that:

A: They're the best band on the planet*

and

B: They can't do a headlining tour

Means they're underappreciated by the Metal scene as a whole.

Zod

*Note: this is not my opinion. It's been documented in many scientific studies. See the following link to one such study...

http://www.nevermore_is_the_best_band_on_the_planet,_don't_try_to_argue.org/

you don't hear people talk about Freedom Call much. But what exactly is criteria, there are many bands that have released 1-3 great CDs and then have gone into hiding. Labyrinth is great too. Could also list Human Fortress and many more like Custard, Cryonic Temple,etc.

The funny thing is most people in the powermetal scene and especially europe know about these bands, so are they really underapreciated if we know about them and have heard their music? If on the other hand, we are talking about not receiving Dragonforce like notoriety, I'm all for these bands being sucessful but I don't think I'd personally want them trivialized so, I guess it makes it more special when listening to the music, maybe even makes it seem more one on one, like something you can only understand. For example driving down the highway chances are pretty slim that out of the hundreds of cars around you anyone else knows the group you are listening to or can appreciate it. I think thats what is upsetting about a band like DF, it's not just something you appreciate, now it's "cool" to like them.

Sometimes, I really feel like I'm alone when it comes to showing some love for these bands:

Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath--In my opinion, Martin was the best singer Sabbath ever had. People will always prefer Ozzy, but if they wanted to hear some songs that weren't inspired by drugs, not to mention a real vocalist, they would do best to buy "Tyr" or "Cross Purposes."

Jag Panzer--I think the other supporters on the forum said it best.

Mystic Force--I wish this band could have kept it together. They had incredible song arrangements, impeccable musicianship, and incredible vocals (especially those from Scott Warren). They were a killer live band, too.

Brave--If anybody has read previous posts from me, they should know that I love this band. Words can not describe their sound. Just go to www.bravemusic.com and see for yourself.

Agent Steel--The only thrash band with a real singer! A killer dual guitar sound only adds to the magic.

I think that covers it for me.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert