Black Label Society & Dope confirmed for Chicago Powerfest 2009

You can't stick Martyr, Lethal, Nocturnal Rites, Morgana Lefay, and Ted Morose into headliner spots and expect huge turnouts.

Britt

I completely agree. Put those bands in the top 2 spots each night at Prog Power and see what the turn out is.

Another thing with the economy being so messed up this year its a tougher sell with a no big headliners. I said it before I'd rather see the fest stay around than go away due to it not selling and CRJ not finding it financially viable to have another fest.

I don't think that Dope is that bad. They are like White Zombie, with a bit more industrial and a Prodigy look. I'm sure I'd have a fun time watching them. But I won't travel across the country to see them.

To each his or her own.
There will always be a market for teen angst ridden vocals.
If that's yer bag, then DOPE, and songs like DIE MOTHER F*CKER DIE might be for you!

yeah a lot of the same bands...born too late is in august in Rochester, NY...both of those lineups rule damn

Yes, I agree. Most likely I will not be going to NY.
I would have considered the Templars fest (as I would LOVE to see Hounds of Hasselvander) but it is the same weekend as Chicago Powerfest.

A question for you kids who are big on Doom... are there any Doom bands with great vocals and great lead guitar play? Whenever I investigate a Doom band, I find myself underwhelmed by the vocals and lead guitar work.

Zod

A question for you kids who are big on Doom... are there any Doom bands with great vocals and great lead guitar play? Whenever I investigate a Doom band, I find myself underwhelmed by the vocals and lead guitar work.

Zod

Well, what do you look for in guitar work?
I mean you aren't going to find many shredder's in doom.

I suppose the most "metal" in the guitar driven sense would be Candlemass. Probably the most accessible of doom bands for the average metal fan.

Trouble makes heavy use of dual leads, and have two amazing guitarists who have been the core of the lineup since its inception.

Pagan Altar uses a lot of leads.

Lot of the true (COTD - Circle of True Doom) bands use a lot of low ends and down tunings, which might not be to your liking (Ala - Saint Vitus, etc).

Not sure if this helps.

Well, what do you look for in guitar work? I mean you aren't going to find many shredder's in doom.
No. I'm thinking the pacing of the music should present a great opportunity for some tasteful, emotional guitar work, but haven't encountered any bands that do that.

I suppose the most "metal" in the guitar driven sense would be Candlemass. Probably the most accessible of doom bands for the average metal fan.
I'll check out the new disc. The little I've heard from Messiah has never interested me.

Trouble makes heavy use of dual leads, and have two amazing guitarists who have been the core of the lineup since its inception.
I'll check out the Corey Clarke release. Never cared for their previous vocalist.

Pagan Altar uses a lot of leads.
Which disc should I check out?

Lot of the true (COTD - Circle of True Doom) bands use a lot of low ends and down tunings, which might not be to your liking (Ala - Saint Vitus, etc).[/quote]Which disc should I check out?

Thanks.

Zod

Definitely check out the last Candlemass with Lowe, King of the Grey Islands. Their new one is currently streaming in its entirety on their My Space.

As for Pagan Altar, they only have three full lengths. I think their last release, Mythical and Magical, might be a good place to start.

If you are into classic or hard rock, you might want to also check out Pentagram.

See if any of this tickles yer fancy:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah a lot of the same bands...born too late is in august in Rochester, NY...both of those lineups rule damn

I live 30 miles south of there and trust me - nothing good comes to Rochester. As close as we got was a few years ago in spring/early summer there would be the Academy of Shred where they would get a bunch of guitarists to play (Chris Caffery I believe played one of those). The venue where they played is no longer operating, so I have no clue if anyone will get another event like that off the ground again or not.