Black Label Society & Dope confirmed for Chicago Powerfest 2009

if anyone is interested in checking some more death/doom, Acid Witch's Witchtanic Hellucinations and Hooded Menace's Fulfill the Curse were 2 stellar cds I got from last year, Acid Witch does have a psychadelic touch to it, awesome album.

Zod; if you don't like Rev Biz vocals and geetars I don't have any idea of the kind of doom you're looking for then :lol:

I also propose a new angle for those a little weary of the trad doom route.

If you are into cult traditional metal, you may want to check out the following bands which mix both trad and doom metal (To varying degrees):
Witchfinder General
DoomSword
Manilla Road (more trad than doom)
Angel Witch (more NWOBHM than doom)

Isole is quickly becoming a favorite for me. Their recent album is very good.

And I'll reiterate Tristitia. Zod, I think you might like this one. The lead singer on The Last Grief album used to lead Magnus Karlsson's Last Tribe. The guitar work is subtle at times, but fantastic.

Yes, overlordes of chaos is pretty big Manilla Road worship, the Return of the Warrior is pretty big on Omen, I havent listened to their debut yet

I also propose a new angle for those a little weary of the trad doom route.

If you are into cult traditional metal, you may want to check out the following bands which mix both trad and doom metal (To varying degrees):
Witchfinder General
DoomSword
Manilla Road (more trad than doom)
Angel Witch (more NWOBHM than doom)

Witchfinder General seems to be a bit "quirky" for my taste. I do like the DoomSword you've recommended to me. Manilla Road is a band I want to check out, so I will.

~Brian~

I like Cathedral actually.
I know true doom metal fans hate them.
Though if you are into many different genres of metal (and music in general) you could certainly dig them.

They are a bit all over the place musically, but it all rocks pretty hard.

Hahahaha Wow, Sacred Oath!!! I saw them not too long ago, they're local over here in the Danbury, CT area. Rob is a great vocalist!! They can still kick ass onstage!!!!

Plus, the studio Rob has is fucking amazing!!! :headbang:

Yeah, as I said, just heard em for the first time on a compilation. They are always described as being a mix of Mercyful Fate, Maiden, and early Iced Earth.

Not sure I hear ANY of that, but still good regardless.

Powerfest was awesome when they had some amazing doom. I am truly blessed to have seen both Saturnus and Solitude Aeturnus in my lifetime.

That being said, I hope the quality of that fest returns next year! I haven't lost the faith, but this year isn't a good sign.