Black Label Society & Dope confirmed for Chicago Powerfest 2009

highly recommend Pentagram's S/t(Relentless), it fucking rules. I think you might just be a lost cause though Zod, Trouble's Psalm 9 is just rifftastic vocal masterpiece as ive seen it. Have you listened to Candlemass's Epicus Doomicus Metallicus? Im not sure what bands you have heard because i know you go on RC and the bands I know of are pretty well known there.

Would like to see Kiaus in a big way. Those guys kick total ass!! I was hoping to see them do one of their first u.s. shows at the mighty Prog Power! I am a fan of Assailant and Personal war as well. The other bands to be honest i wouldnt go across the street to see.

Kiaus would be the only band I'm interested in. I'd like to see them at a PP one of these years! :)

Jasonic...

I quickly skipped the two live clips (after 15 seconds) because of the sound quality. Sound like they are cell phone quality and probably unfair to gauge a band based on them. I believe I have that last Candlemass disc, featuring Rob on it, which I'll revisit. I'll see if I can find the Pagan's Altar somewhere.

As for the Pentagram, I didn't care for the singer's voice, but the guitar work was quite solid. Same thing with Trouble. I think I actually owned that release on cassette, back in the day.

It's strange... Doom is one of those genres I keep expecting to enjoy, but never do. I suspect this latest foray was fueled by my enjoyment of the recent MDB and Swallow the Sun releases.

Zod

A question for you kids who are big on Doom... are there any Doom bands with great vocals and great lead guitar play? Whenever I investigate a Doom band, I find myself underwhelmed by the vocals and lead guitar work.

Zod

Zod, Jason has been guiding me recently as well. :) He's our resident Doom expert. :worship:

In my opinion, if you don't dig the last two Candlemass discs, the self titled and King of the Grey Islands, then don't waste your time looking any further into the genre. Listen to Candlemass' song, The Black Dwarf, and tell me that's not "crushing" guitar! :headbang: It's freakin' brilliant!

~Brian~

That song rips !! I like the Messiah stuff, and the Lowe stuff. I've heard the new one .... it's very good as was King Of The Grey Islands.

Actually me and Greg .. among others got to see Marcolin and Candlemass at the BWBK fest a few years back. Unfortunately I was not fully into them at that time, and didn't pay the closest of attention to the set. I kind of wandered around .. I kind of wish now that I had given my undivided attention to the Mass .. but what do you do? I did at least get to see Marcolin do the "doom dance", and I also got to hear him warm up his pipes in the elevator with O Sole Mio. That was interesting.

Britt

Zod - Sorry for the audio quality on those links. I just went there and grabbed em without playing them.

rms - Good call, I thought of recommending Rev Bizarre, but some of their songs are VERY long.

Britt - I remember you telling me that Messiah story at the Pearl Room C-Mass show. Funny stuff!

Zod do you like any other kinds of doom such as funeral (Esoteric, Ahab, Evoken etc) or stoner (Electric Wizard and Sleep type stuff)?

have you given reverend bizzare/lord vicar a whirl?
I have some of their MP3s... never gave them a serious listen.

In my opinion, if you don't dig the last two Candlemass discs, the self titled and King of the Grey Islands, then don't waste your time looking any further into the genre.
I'll queue up that disc today.

Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass
I have some SA lying around as well. I think I'll revisit that as well.

Zod - Sorry for the audio quality on those links. I just went there and grabbed em without playing them.
No worries. I can pretty much lay my hands on any MP3s I want, so the recommendation of the songs is helpful.

Zod do you like any other kinds of doom such as funeral (Esoteric, Ahab, Evoken etc) or stoner (Electric Wizard and Sleep type stuff)?
Funeral... I think the only Funeral Doom bands I've heard is Mar de Grises... didn't like it.

Death/Doom... some... Swallow the Sun, for instance.

Stoner... it's hard to know where Stoner ends and Stoner/Doom begins. That said, I like a fair amount of Stoner bands.

Thanks all.

Zod

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16SaMK7-WM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16SaMK7-WM[/ame]

Zod I know you said you have only heard "Reformation", well here is one of the better tracks for the first and third albums. I love both of these albums perfect scores from me, but I havent heard "Reformation" for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for you kids who are big on Doom... are there any Doom bands with great vocals and great lead guitar play?

If you're talking "traditional" doom bands, my #1 recommendation would be Ozzy-era Sabbath. Most of the bands mentioned in this thread -- the Pagan Altars, Pentagrams, Count Ravens, and Saint Vituses of the world -- are based primarily on this sound, but are not quite as good. Certainly none of them can touch the greatness that is Iommi, and the sound is an acquired taste.

However, branching out into different kinds of doom, particularly the more thrashy or proggy types, will probably yield different results. Bands like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Memory Garden, Veni Domine, and their like are much more interesting IMO, vocally and instrumentally, than most traditional doom. I'd even lump old Tad Morose (Andren-era) into this group, but just barely.

There's also doom-death (ie, Saturnus, Daylight Dies, Lacrimas Profundere, etc.), but I find that genre to be excruciatingly boring. Still, it's one of the genres in metal which seems to be growing the quickest in popularity. A few examples in this group that I personally enjoy are old November's Doom, old Katatonia, and Moonspell (their earliest and latest albums, but not that boring-ass mid-period shit by them).