Cheers and Jeers 2014

The mix was the result of an unintentional and unknown action that took place on stage, not FoH. Once the crew and band discussed it, we had a fantastic mix on Saturday morning with the exact same crew.

No worries on the actual mix to the studio for recording.

Thanks for the clarification. I had no doubt that it was unintentional as the sound is usually really good for the most part. Also good to know that it didn't affect the studio mix. And yes I agree the mix was awesome on Saturday.

Me for accidentally leaving my damn "swag bag" in the venue after the Stratovarius set! I was hoping that I could either find it in lost-n-found or get another one, but no dice! It probably ended up getting thrown away as trash when the venue was cleaned up. So for the first time after nine years, I do not have a CD or book as a really nice "official" memento of the show.

Steve, I'll send you mine. I don't do anything with it anyway, and I know you'd enjoy it more. If you want to email me your address once again (and I promise this one will make it out where the free shirt didn't. lol, fuckin moving) I'll have it in the mail this week.

I stood right next to this guy during DGM. I remember everyone cleared a hole around him just because he would not stay still. I'm ok with people getting into bands, but when I spend more time looking at the beer in your hand to avoid it spilling on me than I do actually watching the band, there starts to be an issue.

Apparently, rumor has it it was the same fuckwit who was Nanners 2 years ago.

No Username said:
ONE guy harassing women?

No one deserves to be harrassed. And no one deserves what this guy was doing. You weren't there. You don't know what went down. I'm giving you a pass, but suffice to say, 15 of us decided he needed to leave the party immediately.

Not going to say a lot other than:

Cheers: Glenn an Jen for keeping it going. I've been to ten PP's now. I'm not a socializer and I don't drink, it's bands that keep me going. I'm not a power metal guy but there's always been so many other bands I love that I would never see other than at this fest. I've defended this fest to people who won't go just for that reason. Just dumb you won't go because you don't like some bands when there are ones you actually do. Who the hell likes every band at this kind of event? No one I'd bet. And as I promised in another thread I did hug Glenn Saturday morning at Seventh Wonder for getting Anathema. Thanks man! :D

Jeers: Not really any, I try not to sweat the small stuff. I guess the only jeer is the PoS Remedy Lane shirts were gone immediately on Wednesday. I couldn't be there Wednesday but my good friend was and she said she didn't even get a chance at one. I would like to ask Milton (if he's responsible) if any more of the shirts will be printed? I'm sure there'd be some interest in them. If not no biggie. Thanks!

Cheers (in no particular order):

1. Need, Seventh Wonder, and Voodoo Circle for kick ass performances that were my favorites of the weekend.
2. Every other band for great, enjoyable performances
3. Gotta give a special mention to Overkill, because I didn't really care for them on CD but man, what a live show, loved it!
4. Glenn and everyone else for putting an awesome fest that's well worth it to come back to year after year
5. Grogg for showing up for the first time in 4 years, great to see you again!
6. Michael Eriksen to being a great singer and a really nice guy, was great chatting with him on the walk back to the hotel Friday night

Jeers:

1. Da Vinci's for incompetence in order management. For the second year in a row they lost our order, didn't call as they said they would when it finally did arrive, and took about 2 hours to get our food which we only got because my wife kept following up with them. I'd be more than happy to pay $5/slice for pizza for the convenience if I wasn't allergic to the ingredients. And I don't want to leave and miss the show that I flew 3000 miles to see. Please bring back the food service in the Vinyl, that was so much better. To their credit, however, Da Vinci's food is really good when you finally do get it.
2. Delta for forcing us to check our bags at the gate when there was plenty of room left on the plane.

Cheers:
~The opportunity to see great bands without having to travel halfway across the globe! This festival is important, so let's have a repeat sell out again!
~Every band did what they did and did it very well! Even the ones I generally don't dig (POS) for one...even I appreciated the talent during their set. The more I reflect on it, the more I appreciate what was going on.
~Voodoo Circle, Masterplan, Withem and JOP for kicking my ass...period! Rick Alzi has my respect from this point forward. :worship: Alzi made a Jorn fanboy, like myself, appreciate Masterplan once again!
~David Readman...I met him out in the hallway. He's a geniune guy and actually acted interested in what I had to say. He actually asked me questions! I was a fan before, but now I'm a fanboy. :)
~Chris Kinder...again, he was just a cool guy to me. The shirts are cool man!

Jeers:
~The friggin' security at the door this year! A couple of these guys were just over the top on Friday. I have a problem with someone that's assuming that I'm trying to slide by with something that I'm not suppose to. If this had taken place anywhere other than Glenn's house I would've probably said something that I would've regretted.

Honestly, I didn't have any other issues with anything.

~Brian~

Steve, I'll send you mine. I don't do anything with it anyway, and I know you'd enjoy it more. If you want to email me your address once again (and I promise this one will make it out where the free shirt didn't. lol, fuckin moving) I'll have it in the mail this week.

That would be awesome. If you still have that shirt, I am still interested in it as well. I'll "PayPal" you $10 as soon as I receive it to cover your shipping/packaging costs.

Just dumb you won't go because you don't like some bands when there are ones you actually do. Who the hell likes every band at this kind of event? No one I'd bet.

There have been bands that were on the bill at this and past events that I did not care for but still ended up being blown away. This year, I really did not care much for Overkill, but I had to at least check them out. I ended up really loving the set. Another example at a past fest was D.S.O. At first, when I heard of these guys, I was like, "Ummm, oookaay?" However, after seeing that set and getting to hang out with the band themselves, and just experience how awesome they actually ended up being, I became fan for life! I try to tell people that try to give the bands a chance, even the ones you may not like.

On the flip side, I can understand that there may be folks that just do not like any but maybe two or three bands on the bill and just don't want to go through the expense of traveling to a show just to see those one, two, or three bands.

In my case, it has become more than just the bands themselves. I come to this show just as much, if not more, for the community and chance to hang out with a large group of people that share the same interests in music as I do, regardless of who may actually be up on the stage playing. Even if there is only one or two bands that I am actually interested in, I will still come because I love being there and getting to see the friends I've made over the past nine years coming to this fest, as well as chance on making new friends.

Cheers:

1. Glenn, Jen. I love you both tremendously, and though I didn't run into Glenn this year, I am passing along my love for you man. I got to see you fabulous wife, so at least I was able to enrich her life a little :D LOL.
2. Milton. I know what this man went through over the past year for this whole thing, and I could not be prouder of what you accomplished.
3. The rest of the crew. I know most of you personally, and that really makes me feel more like I'm part of this big crazy family making machine than a fan who has yet to make that transition. We all give you props on running the show but none of you get the props for putting on a smile and being celebs all weekend. I see it every year, and you guys have your own fans, as much or more than any band here, and you're just as phenomenal. I love you all.
4. Orden Ogan (Or Octopus Orgy!) - The only band I really was excited about from the announcement last year. I'm sorry everyone, there ain't no metal like German Power Metal. Best Set Award imo.
5. Manda, Kris, Greg. You guys are my crew. This fest would be nothing without you for me.
6. Matt Moliti. Are you him?
7. Truely Great Cupcakes. I think one of my favorite parts of Progpower these past few years is sharing with everyone, and these cupcakes RUUUULE.
8. Shout outs to those I love: Su, Matt, Alicia, David, Lars, Tess, Claus, Cam, Brian, Meg, Jamie, Urban, Phish, Paul, Steve, Dave, Justin, Anne Marie, All the Patricks.. fuckin... fuck you know who you are. I love you. A lot of you seem to know me, and I am fucking awful with names and faces, so if it took me a minute to remember your face, I'm sorry! :)
9. Speaking of which... people like, wanted to meet ME. Like, specifically. What the fuck. LOL.
10. Every year I've come to this fest as an out gay man I have been shown nothing but the most gracious indifference from absolutely everyone I've interacted with, and it's absolutely something that fills me with a tremendous pride. This year, I've found out that not only am I not the only one (though still the original so, hell yes!), there are now several. That you all make me feel so comfortable speaks tremendous volumes to the character of the company we keep here. This will always be my biggest cheer - to the crowd.

Special Mention: Friday night's silliness: You do't ever want to see a human wall of angry manflesh holding back a chaotic storm of blood boiled goddesses facing outward from the courtyard looking at you, alone, one man holding back the shitstorm that's about to befall you. The devotion we have to our own is ...it's seriously mindblowing. I couldn't help smiling while looking back into the courtyard and seeing at least 10 of you on the steps, arms folded, glaring like the guardians to Valhalla, unwilling to part for the unworthy.

Special Mention: Bill Hudson. That guy has come such a long, long way from when I saw him in 2008. I could not be more happy for him.

Jeers:

Having no PTO, so I ended up working this weekend during Leprous, and almost got dragged out of OO's set too.

The VIP lanyards this year. The one I found in the Courtyard at 6am on Saturday morning clearly fell off someone because of the tiny piece of velcro. The Lanyards themselves were really nice but that particular seems like a bit of a design flaw. Whoever lost it, I hope you didn't catch too much flak when you went to get it back! :)

Everything else that I could put in this section is a personal gripe and would feel like airing dirty laundry. All though I do wish I had one more box of cupcakes to share. :lol:

Cheers:
Glenn, Nathan, and Milton for everything, and for signing my PPUSA meme picture!

My fellow railrats! You get really close to people who you share sweat, snacks, spit, sandwitches, songs, setlists, screams, stretches, swag, selfies, sobs, sniffles, and stories with. Go figure.

Theocracy for helping me lose my voice the first day. It was the best show I've ever been to. I was the guy jumping like a harijuku school girl on the front the entire time.

The progpower forums poster! I love going over to look at it and met a few of you over there.

Next years lineup draws for me: PERSEFONE! Falconer (mixed feelings)

Last jeer for the security...Did anyone get offered to cheat? On two occasions different security guards seriously said, I'll let you bring in that water bottle / food if you pay me...

Whoever said there was Yoga in the mornings in the courtyard at 9? I went of Saturday after going to sleep at 6, and nobody was out there. I even brought a block...oh well.

I am happy that most of the jeers as said before, were not too terrible, except the Progpower Vampyre of Friday night. Somebody should have throat punched him.

Whoever said there was Yoga in the mornings in the courtyard at 9? I went of Saturday after going to sleep at 6, and nobody was out there. I even brought a block...oh well.

I went down there Friday morning and there was nobody down there as well, as I was told that there was Yoga at 9 each of the days.

Don't really have any jeers.

Cheers: The usual.... great show by Glenn, Jen, Nathan, and Milton. Thanks to all my longtime friends that came and the new ones I met.
Thanks for the mature mosh pit. It was fun. Overkill slayed.

Cheers to Withem, especially their singer. Didn't have their disc, just knew their youtube song, but WOW !! That guy has great pipes. I will keep an eye/ear out on this band.

Bryant

Well, now that my thoughts are all collected, time for my Cheers and Jeers, from the perspective of a first timer.

CHEERS
1. First of all, definitely great job by Glenn and all the crew and everyone responsible for making this happen. It was an awesome time for me and everyone else here.
2. The keyboardist of Pagan's Mind started talking to me in the elevator, and gave me a huge hug when I left the hotel. Awesome guy.
3. All the bands in particular for putting on extremely amazing shows. I didn't miss a single song.
4. Jon Oliva for not only converting me into a big Savatage fan, but putting on a beautiful but also funny show despite broken ribs.
5. Also shoutout to Leprous, Divided Multitude, and Voodoo Circle. I went into their signings long after they were supposed to end, but the members still signed my stuff and took pictures without complaint, and also laughed at my bad jokes.

JEERS
1. The mix for Seventh Wonder and Pain of Salvation (Saturday Night) were off to me. It somewhat ruined two shows that I was looking forward to, but they were still some of my favorites, particularly Mercy Falls.
2. The really drunk guy next to me during DGM. I couldn't pay attention to the second half of the set because this guy was just bothering everybody, holding his drink up high with a shaky hand, and generally making me decide never to drink at this fest.
3. The pizza was a little overpriced, but if they had to pay Center Stage fees, then I can understand. I wish there were more options for food for the longer days like Friday and Saturday, I can't leave the venue otherwise I'd miss a band.
4. Due to delays and such the fest ran on a little long. I'm ok with this one in hindsight, I understand the crew was working as hard as they could so I don't blame anyone. It was really only a problem when I was standing up exhausted after a long day and waiting for the next few bands.

my wife brought Tums on Saturday after one slice of heartburn supreme on Friday, just in case.

Dang, I had pizza on Sat. and would have paid your wife way more than $5 for one of her Tums!

Having Simone Mularonie take my Corgi hat and wear it Thursday night was priceless. I'm never going to forget that. :)

Thought the singer was going to take it off, but instead, he ended up waving the ears around. Hilarous! On to CHEERS and JEERS...

Holy crap…the time sure has flown since 2006 when I showed up at my first ProgPower not knowing a soul. SO grateful for the friendships I’ve formed and the amazing music I’ve witnessed over the last 9 ProgPowers!

First, three CHEERS…no, wait…100 cheers for the fact that this year was NOT the last year of the festival!! I’d already worn out my hankie during “Streets”, so really happy that we didn’t have to say “One Last Goodbye” to ProgPower!

CHEERS as always to Glenn and Jen for all their hard work and for handling unexpected issues with true grace under pressure. Special kudos for keeping tabs on fan feedback via the forum and FB and stepping in (particularly with the security problems) to make sure everyone’s experience was a positive one.

CHEERS to Nathan for an awesome VIP experience on Thursday night. I gave him my $$$ on Thursday even before the line-up for 2015 was announced!

CHEERS to all of the bands, with an extra CHEER to a new favorite (Need) and an old one (Jon Oliva’s Pain).

CHEERS to the crew for busting their asses behind the scenes long before we arrive at the venue each day and long after we leave.

CHEERS to SW for the amazing Saturday a.m. show. And CHEERS to my decision to drag my sorry butt out of bed that early. It was touch and go for a while.

CHEERS to all of the fabulous fans who help make ProgPower so special. Extra CHEERS to Diamond45 for organizing the forum lunch on Thursday and to all who attended (special shout-out to Shaye for sharing her “balls”)!

CHEERS to the lady at Center Stage who has the job of going through each aisle after the show with a flashlight, looking for lost wallets, phones, etc.. She said they try to catch people before they leave the venue to help save some grief. Love this!

EDIT: How could I forget a CHEER for Truly Great Cupcakes? This is a wonderful treat at the event, and loved the pics of one of the bands (can't recall which one) who had them out during their signing session!

JEERS for having to deal with work drama during the festival.

JEERS for a barely lukewarm, almost rock solid slice of pizza for $5. Sure, you can leave the venue for dinner, but you have to miss at least part of a band to do so. It would be great to be able to bring food in from Subway, etc., as you could run out and back in during the set changes without missing a note.

JEERS for the POS do-over. Maybe later we will get some background issues that will make sense of this, but it sure seemed ridiculous at the time...not to mention disrespectful to the HEADLINING band.

Finally, hate to make this a “Jeer”, as I really love the Mercy Falls CD, but was disappointed at not being able to hear the keyboards. The keyboard melody from “A New Beginning” and “The Black Parade” literally gives me goosebumps…really disappointing to not be able to hear it! I see from Glenn’s other comment that there was a specific issue that caused this, and really enjoyed the Saturday set (see “Cheers”).

And then bringing out Mike Eriksen for two songs? Ridiculous. All it needed was a string quartet and some marriage proposals.

This should be in the "Quotes of the Week" section. :) I should have added a CHEER for Michael Eriksen...what an awesome surprise!!

First of all, I wish to say in the 10 years I've been attending PP USA and the 6th one as a sponsor, this is by far the best PP USA that I've attended. We all know this could have been the last one but gosh darn it, we made it a sell out and forced another one! With that being said, I'll move on to my Cheers and Jeers:

Cheers to Glenn, Jen and the rest of the PP USA staff and backstage crew. I know most of you personally and know you go the extra mile to make sure the fest goes on as well as it does. MAJOR KUDOS!!! :worship:notworthy

Cheers to all of my PP USA friends. By now I've made so many friends via PP USA that I've lost count. And each time I go I make even more. I'm glad to be part of the PP USA family and as usual I didn't get to see everybody. It went by way way too fast! :)

Cheers to Front Page News restaurant for accommodating the revived fan luncheon on Thursday. They went the extra mile to make sure we were taken care of by bringing extra tables to our section. I personally thanked the manager for all the work his crew did to accommodate us. And a special thanks to LunaTEKKE as co-organizer.

Cheers Stratovarius. Many of you know that Stratovarius was the reason that my friend Steve and I started going to PP USA in 2005 and have been going ever since. Now in 2014 we were able to sponsor their awesome return. They were excellent in their performance, even though Timo Koltipelto had a cold!

Cheers to DGM. Steve and I sponsored them back in 2010 and neither they nor we have forgotten. They are very nice people and it was great to see them again!

Cheers to Michael Eriksen for coming all the way from Norway only to sing a few songs with Pagan's Mind and Divided Multitude. :headbang: :kickass:

Cheers to Jon Oliva for a great performance even though you were physically in a ton of pain. As I said in another thread, his pain was our gain! That set was not just a concert, it was an epic performance that we will be talking about for many years to come! Special mention to Bill Hudson for his awesome performance!

Cheers for the second SW set on Saturday morning. Worth dragging my ass out of bed!

Cheers to Nathan for the great Kick-Off show on Thursday. DGM and the double set Pagan's Mind show on the same night? That was so amazing! Looking forward to next year's show already! I already gave him my money up front just because I know it will be good!

Cheers to Truly Great Cupcakes for some really great heavy metal cupcakes! Thanks to Jodene for working hard to make and bake all those cupcakes for us!

Cheers to Center Stage for the water coolers and plastic cups! It was great to stay hydrated without having to shell out $$ for bottled water.

Cheers to Vespucci's Pizza and Sausalito West Coast Grill. I love their food and eat at these fine establishments at least once during PP USA. I love the fact they extend their operating hours to accommodate us "black shirts". Sausalito's had a special sign out front just for us! The owners of both places remembered Steve and I and are always glad to serve us.

Jeers to the Artmore for once again screwing up our rooms (though they made up for it as well as they could) as well as the "reservation" system that I had to miss most of the Divided Multitude set for. :erk:

Jeers to the Center Stage security team. It was better by Saturday though (thanks Glenn!)

Jeers for the bad sound mix for Theocracy on Wednesday and SW on Friday. The mix on Saturday's SW set was great.

Jeers for that "do over" by a certain band.

Jeers for my knees. I blew out my left knee in 2011 at PP USA (surgery later that year) but my right one needs the same surgery. So I can't stand for long periods of time anymore (dammit!)

Overall a great time was had by all and very much looking forward to next year's event already! :headbang: :kickass:

Cheer....

To the organization and staff(wed thru sat) , specially milton, my fellow country man. Had no issues with security, they went thru my backpack only once. I could have smuggled food but I didnt. It is possible to go the the pizza place and come back in less than 30 Minutes, I did that.
Special tks to Nathan, because on friday afternoon I saw him asking for helker and dynasty CDs at the merch place( so I "knew" that there was a strong possibility that both bands were on for next year....kkkkkkkkkkkk).
I don't interact much with other fellow metalheads but I was approached because of my soccer t-shirts and had some nice chats.
I would support the festival even if they had a bad lineup(for my taste). I will buy a ticket even if I decide not to go.
Next year it will be the best lineup ever(4 Bucket list bands. Helker, dynasty, falconer and royal hunt). Persefone was a bucket list but I saw them this year.

Jeers...
My age...can't stand up as much as I used to...kkkkkk

Truly?None jeers. I know that festivals have drunk people, delays, etc......
Complaining about mosh pits? (hey, ask Glenn not to bring thrash, death bands). Too late!!! Prepare to be "killed" by Persefone. Brutal songs and a brutal performance . And the singer demand mosh pits.
Noticed also this year that most of the bands brought their sound guy(I think the delay happened because of that. Except the PoS "diva" moment). But hey, they were recording a DVD (bad place to record a DVD...the show must go on).
Overpriced CDs ? Don't buy it. You can order over the internet

Only a special Jeers for Milton ...angra? Come on saw them 50 times......hahahaha

Persefone band members are really friendly and goofy. They didn't believe that I took a 13 hour trip just to see them and asked for photos to show their moms that they had fans ......was funny

Not true. You could easily walk to Subway or Vespuccis, eat and be back in time for the next band. If the food situation is the same, I would try it next year.

But you'd have to have the stars perfectly aligned to not miss at least part of the next band's set - catching all of the traffic lights right, no line at the restaurant, and food comes up in 2 minutes or less. Oh, and you'd have to scarf it in about 3 bites. That's why I think that being able to bring food in would be a great option.