Cheers and Jeers

Thanks, I am aware of the Etys, just had forgotten to bring them. Actually used rolled up paper towel pieces and that worked decently... I am with you, we'd all be better off if the volume was lower and earplugs would not be needed (kind of paradoxical, isn't it: turning up the volume so everybody has to wear earplugs and unless you have Etys the sound stinks even more.
Also felt that the drums and bass, for the most part, overpowered other instruments and sometimes even the respective vocalist. There were guitar solos that were barely audible - even at eye level and without earplugs. Other concerts I have been too "proved" that it's possible to improve on that without resorting to higher dB levels. Maybe a suggestion for next year, which I am looking forward to attending!

I agree that sometimes less is better.
Some sound guys, if the board is rated for 120 dB, want to try to get 125 dB out if it.. other times, it is the band or managemnbnt that insists that louder sound = power - just the way it goes.
I thought several of the bands were mixed loud - the room sounded overall LOUD to me this year when i went out to the board. But again - my ears are getting tired, even with plugs in. We measured 110dB at my spot stage left and 108 @ the monitor board.. that is pretty damn loud.
When you heard drop outs, for the most part, you were dealing with a house guy that did not know the band or material intimately, even though he had listened to the CD's and did some home work. If you don't know the bands catalog, even with a setlist.. it is hard to tell when to boost who, which guitarist is soloing, which keyboard is being soloed, etc.
Usually when a band travels with their own sound guy, you have the benefit of him knowing who solos when, etc. Overall, I think the venues guy did phenomenal job mixing approx 5 bands that were unknown to him each night... WAYYY better than I could've done.
There is always that fine line between volume and mix, and how it sounds in diffrent spots in the venue.
I agree that some solos could not be heard.. but if the stage volume is too loud (coming from the amp), then the sound guy really has no choice. That was the case with 2 bands that I am aware of.. we had requests from the recording studio to adjust stage volume on the fly... loud stage volume also limits your ability to boost the vocalists mic without getting feedback. It's a vicious circle and neverending balancing act.
Guess we can pass the info along to the venue, but it will vary for sure.

I was there this year (Hotel Midtown). I won't be back. Rusty brown water in the sink was quite the shocker. :lol:

Haven't had that experience there and I've stayed there twice. I've heard the occasional bad thing, but I haven't personally experienced it.

Personally, I don't care much for what the star level is, since I mostly use the room to sleep. Tho, having a pool and a hot tub at the hotel was nice to have. But, really all I ask for is a place to lay my head and to shower in the morning. If I can do that, I'm fine.

Course, the last time I stayed there was when DSO was also staying there. It was nice on the day after the fest to send them off in the morning. They much appriciated it.

BTW a minor jeer: While I appriciate getting water on the bar, unfortunately it tasted like ass. I had half a cup of water and I just couldn't drink any more.

My first time attending: it was a great event, very well organized, friendly people, accessible musicians -many of whom were mingling at some point. Very enjoyable! Super atmosphere! And overall decent sound quality...

Thank you and glad to hear it! May I ask where you heard about PPUSA?

~Jen

Wait 'til next year with Symphony X. Their sound guy must be completely deaf. Every time I go see them (no matter the venue) the sound is excessively blasting. If you're a fan of their guitar player Michael Romeo....good luck hearing him.

Thank you and glad to hear it! May I ask where you heard about PPUSA?

~Jen

Sure thing, have been interested in hard rock, metal, prog and similar for 3 decades and was looking for a decent live venue - sometimes hard to find here in the States unless you are willing to travel gazillions of miles. Found this by putting into Google something like "progressive rock" or "progressive metal festival"... and after I found it was able to set up a business trip to Atlanta, which allowed me to attend Saturday but unfortunately not Friday.

Look forward to next year at a 95 dB level :)

Wait 'til next year with Symphony X. Their sound guy must be completely deaf. Every time I go see them (no matter the venue) the sound is excessively blasting. If you're a fan of their guitar player Michael Romeo....good luck hearing him.

Not surprising that he is deaf if the dB level has been that high for some years. That said, they've been around long enough and should know better. Wouldn't the band really want to show what they can do, even live? Especially live? What's the point of a sophisticated solo or a nuanced drum piece if you can't hear the guitar and cannot distinguish the cymbals? In particular live? Maybe a bunch ought to go up to the sound guy and instruct him accordingly... or better, talk with the band ahead of the concert as the opportunity arises!

You may have "experience" on a small scale, but I would bet every single dollar I have made over the last 10 years that you could never, ever come close to pulling off what we do. I have no problem with grounded critiques as we always strive to improve. However, the tone of your post is condescending and that is laughable. You have posted five times today in various thread and every single one had a negative remark.

Let me break it down for you....

There is one stage. We are running a full blown dvd recording in HD with a 42 track pro-audio system in the back. Do you think we just hit the red record button in the studio and all is well? Do you think a band like Forbidden just plugs in and plays without caring about the patches? That mixing a band like Therion is the same as any 3-riff death metal band in a bar? No problem for you right?

Furthermore, we have requests for up to 10 in-ear monitors to be mixed within 30 mins. No problem for you though right? You have done it with your digital boards right? I'm sure bands requesting 30+ input lines is no big deal for you as well.

No problem for you having to deal with band that bring their own engineers and reset the board, etc for every band right?

I assume troubleshooting on the spot isn't a big deal for you as well right? You can handle replacing tubes, fixing defective equipment brought by the bands, while continuing to work patch issues at the same time. Five keyboards set up in 15 mins? Hell, you are on it!

Large bands are used to having hours to soundcheck or their own stage to work on while bands are playing on another at other festivals. They cannot do that here. That makes for some very demanding and intense moments on stage before the curtain. No problem for you though right? Just plug and play..no worries.

We ran 45 minutes behind this year at the most thanks to my amazing crew that works their ass off. I'm guessing your crew would have been 20 minutes ahead because Therion's technical requirements are elementary for your experience.

Furthemore....

Hell, the signing sessions are something that every festival pulls off here in the States right?. I mean you can travel anywhere in the States and have mega lines for sessions right? Everyone can do this right? I'm sure you have had fests where bands are signing stuff for 1 hr 20 minutes and taking up your crew resources. No worries for you though.

My priority is the stage while trying to offer the most I can as well. I'm sure you have been able to offer the same type of "experience" though.

You said your piece. I said mine. I will delete any responses you make to this or anything else for that matter. Do not waste your time as I have just done.

A fucking men. Glenn, no one other than those who know you on a personal level or are part of your team can understand what you go through for us fans. I apologize for the ramblings of this complete idiot. You and your team are the best. The bands have seen it and have said it. We fans have seen it and continue to say it. And, I for one can never thank you enough for what you do for this soon to be middle aged lover of metal music year after year. Most humbly...I say thank you...

Wait 'til next year with Symphony X. ...Every time I go see them (no matter the venue) the sound is excessively blasting.
Well, I won't say every time, but more often than not, that has been the case. In addition, I hope the lighting for every band next year is as good as it was this year. I have seen SymX in some of the worst, dim, dark, murky, red, purple lighting than nearly any other band I've seen. At the Starland last time, Mike was doing solos completely in the shadows. Shine some light on that dude!