Cheers and Jeers

Then you can be an "old" kid like me, those are the same hours I got off work and headed to bed. Next year, shoot me a text on Wednesday so I remember to bring my beanie and neck scarf for you.
Thanks! Great idea. Must remember that for next year. BTW can't find that quote about something ejaculating all at the same time. Locate please. Just have to know!

Thanks! Great idea. Must remember that for next year. BTW can't find that quote about something ejaculating all at the same time. Locate please. Just have to know!

LMAO! I said we have a lot of trees down here, not just one, and they all start ejaculating at the same time. Next year, pay attention to extend cold fronts that hang around here for a week or so. That will normally trigger all the trees to start spraying the fall pollens. I'd say to start allergy meds 2-3 weeks before the fest, just in case.

I like cheap, but I do have my standards. Staying at the Knights Inn was a low point in lodging for ProgPower. But, when I can stay at Hotel Midtown for $50 a night, I'll take that.

That's kinda my dilema..
Certain areas of the week I have no issues cutting corners...and there is a major difference between $365 for the weekend and over $800 at the RI (including parking)
however.....
There comes a point where one has to question how much sacrifice one has to make in the quality of your stay
An elevator that hasn't been serviced since 2007......
not very accom8dating help at the front desk
ect...

While the free earplugs may have been at the t-shirt table, we cannot take credit for them. Please thank Justin R.

~Jen

I'm just happy that people were using them. I'm not really sure just how many people did, but as long as they were used I'm happy. I feel that people really underestimate the chances of hearing loss, but all it takes is one bad hit of feedback to take you out. On top of that, being exposed to the volumes we are hit with for long periods of time WILL damage your hearing. You may not notice it for many years but it will most likely catch up with you.

I know Pellaz and I spoke for years about how they could just sell earplugs for a dollar each night and make a little extra profit off it, but I figured that would not happen so I said fuck it and just bought two boxes. It's all about making this festival the best in it's class!

I know Pellaz and I spoke for years about how they could just sell earplugs for a dollar each night and make a little extra profit off it, but I figured that would not happen so I said fuck it and just bought two boxes. It's all about making this festival the best in it's class!

Thanks for bringing them...much appreciated. I always bring my own (awesome ones at etymotic.com), but I think it's fantastic that you did that.

Craig

We honestly thought 10am was a resonable time (please don't throw anything at me!), and opening up reservations at noon to the general public was a good plan. And, it was a happy medium with the management at the Artmore.

10am is reasonable. This allows the people who want that room the most to work for it, and beat out the people who don't care as much.

My only problem with the process is actually my own fault. The past two years I have forgotten to get one of the Artmore tickets from the gold badge counter. (Nailz's suggestion would probably alleviate this requirement, making everything digital instead.) I still went down there early on Saturday and took my badge with me, hoping they would let me reserve a room anyway. I purposely waited a bit, so I would be in line behind those who actually remembered their tickets, but I went in before noon and got on their list.

Thanks for bringing them...much appreciated. I always bring my own (awesome ones at etymotic.com), but I think it's fantastic that you did that.

Actually, considering how popular they are with the PPUSA crowd, I'm surprised that Glenn or one of the vendors hasn't bought some Etymotics in bulk and sold them for a profit at the venue. Cool that there were some there, though; there have been a number of times that I've traveled for fests and forgotten to bring earplugs, and have not been able to find any once I'm there.

Nailz, I tried to PM you but it didn't work, so I'm putting it in the thread where you'll hopefully see it:

I too got written down on their list on Saturday, and I got an email a couple days ago confirming my reservation for next year. (I stayed there this year, so they probably cross-referenced me from their customer records and got my email and credit card info.)

I would suggest giving them a call; perhaps they tried to get a hold of you and failed for some reason.

I'm just happy that people were using them. I'm not really sure just how many people did, but as long as they were used I'm happy. I feel that people really underestimate the chances of hearing loss, but all it takes is one bad hit of feedback to take you out. On top of that, being exposed to the volumes we are hit with for long periods of time WILL damage your hearing. You may not notice it for many years but it will most likely catch up with you.

Thank you for supplying the earplugs, Justin! I have recently been more insistent about wearing earplugs whereas in the past I wouldn't care. Over the past year, I've been experiencing hearing problems that are definitely directly related to not wearing earplugs at concerts. Not to mention the tinnitus I've had for years.

All that being said, and still getting used to the idea of using them, I forgot to bring some from home. I kinda panicked when I realized I might have to go through the whole weekend with no earplugs. Long story short, that would have made it impossible for me to even be in the venue - at all. I made my way to Atlantic Station and found a whole box of earplugs at the Publix, so I was covered, but it was really really a bit of peace-of-mind to know that there were more just a few feet away.

I need to stress to people, please wear earplugs. Don't risk the hearing that you still have, because it can and will happen to you, and not just when you turn 70.

Was that you who provided them? Well, I genuflect on the altar of your wisdom, lol. I saw that and was extremely pleased. As a product of the 80's metal scene when no one seemed to have a clue, I lost a LOT of hearing and regret it dearly. Anyone who thinks they don't need them "for this set/song", or "maybe later" is taking a chance. Every blast above a certain level takes its toll. I only wish I knew that in my early 20's. Kudos to YOU for taking the initiative!

Cheers: To the new lighting tech Lindsey. Two thumbs up! Well lit, nice scenes, and very moderate use of the smoke machine! No more Cheech and Chong effect. ;-).

-A

+1!! She was cool and I was soooo happy that she didn't use the smoke machine much at all. To be honest, I never even noticed it this year. It was terrible last year - especially since I sit right above that damn thing! lol!!

Nice to finally talk to you this year too!

My first time attending: it was a great event, very well organized, friendly people, accessible musicians -many of whom were mingling at some point. Very enjoyable! Super atmosphere! And overall decent sound quality...

A note about the latter: maybe I am just getting older and I may be wrong here but it seemed to me that had it been 10 decibels less, the sound might have improved; additionally, maybe tone down bass and double bass and it'd be easier to actually hear some of the great musicianship. Often the guitars got drowned out. Gets progressively worse the higher you sit. It was just too darn loud to listen without some form of ear protection and unless one has musician's earplugs they muffle the sound even more removing the higher frequencies... Would have loved to listen more often without but not worth the potential tinnitus.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers:

- Rick Pierpont who was cool enough to single me out and get the security to hand me a Therion setlist. You rule, bro.

No problem dude! Besides seeing you for so many years before I joined the crew, I see you close to the front EVERY night for the past 4 years that I have worked and you are jamming out and singing along to just about everything! You fully get what this festival is about and it is great to see someone get into it and enjoy as much as you did. You most definitely deserved that set list!

Now go get me some better weather! It's freakin' humid as anything right now!

I like cheap, but I do have my standards. Staying at the Knights Inn was a low point in lodging for ProgPower. But, when I can stay at Hotel Midtown for $50 a night, I'll take that.

I was there this year (Hotel Midtown). I won't be back. Rusty brown water in the sink was quite the shocker. :lol:

Priceline. Stayed at the Melia for less than $60 a night which was listed as 3 1/2*. I'd consider more like a 3*. Nice lobby but kind of standard rooms w/o microwave or fridge.
I got the Midtown last year and wasn't a fan but I think its a 2 1/2* and there's plenty in the 3 to 3-1/2* range in the area. You'll never get right next to the venue but I consider half the cost of the Artmore worth the extra walk.
Nothing beats the year we got the Georgian Terrace and somehow ended up with a one bedroom suite for $70 a night.

Nothing beats the year we got the Georgian Terrace and somehow ended up with a one bedroom suite for $70 a night.

I was there two years ago. Holy hell, was that an incredible room. I did feel it was a little absurd though considering how little time I would be spending in the room.

A note about the latter: maybe I am just getting older and I may be wrong here but it seemed to me that had it been 10 decibels less, the sound might have improved; additionally, maybe tone down bass and double bass and it'd be easier to actually hear some of the great musicianship. Often the guitars got drowned out. Gets progressively worse the higher you sit. It was just too darn loud to listen without some form of ear protection and unless one has musician's earplugs they muffle the sound even more removing the higher frequencies... Would have loved to listen more often without but not worth the potential tinnitus.

Believe it or not, the sound was the quietest it has been in the 7 years I've been attending the fest.

Normally concerts like this you *NEED* hearing protection. Why places jack up the volume so much you need it, I don't know (speaking in general terms, not necessarly Center Stage). But this year you could get away without ear plugs for short periods of time and be OK.

Forum posters have (including myself) have recommended Etymotic brand earplugs. Here's a link in case you're interested. http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html