Cheers and Jeers

Andir, if it's a rumour and you still want to come early, there's always the party at my house.

Jen, IMO I think you guys did fine. It honestly doesn't take much time to get up, get downstairs and get your room registered and go back up to bed. In comparison to the general public, there aren't that many GB holders. About the only other addition I would make is to put sponsors to their own block or request x-many rooms be set aside for GB holders, if they're like me and sleep like a dead person.

If I had a bigger room, I'd invite you to room with the Frenchies, Amanda, and me. We turned the A/C off this year and just opened the window during the day.

I give my approval to this. But AMBR, know that we are teh old folks. We tend to go to bed right after the show ;) *shakes fist at those damn younglings partying til sunrise!!!* :p

One point of clarification - I cannot find a definitive post on this: I reserved for Tuesday. Is this needed or was it just a rumor?

The festival is the normal Wednesday through Saturday affair. The Tuesday thing was a mistake in the video. Jen did make a clarification in another thread. I think it was the thread about the line-up, but I may be mistaken (I probably should go find the post to be sure).

Sigh. As Glenn has said before in the past, in and out privileges are your friend. Also, let's realize people that this is peanuts compared to what people experience at Wacken.

Rather than blockquote my entire post, you should try and be a little more specific to which part of my statements you're referring to...that said, I've already considered what you're talking about IN that post and was clearly mindful of it.

This isn't exactly my first progpower...I've been at close to half of them now...I'm just saying that with the lack of business support in the local area (though that's getting better...) COMBINED with the show AND signing schedules, it's harder for the people who have made friends over the years to get out and eat TOGETHER. I don't think anyone is really disputing this...also Wacken has added a metric fuckton of vendor/event support to make it more bearable in recent years. I think Glenn already addressed what I'd said and made basically the same comment about Wacken. I'm not sure why you have to parrot him and pull my post/comment further down the thread.

I sincerely would like constructive feedback on how the Artmore early reservation process could be improved. Glenn and I certainly can't make any promises for a process change, but I'm open to hearing your ideas.

Could I suggest, once again, the continued implementation of technology (one of the things that's really enhancing this festival by a LOT)? Perhaps VIPs and Gold Badge holders could get the date 2-3 days before the fest, and perhaps some kind of online code that would allow us to use that to book online for the next year before we leave?

Actually, some kind of room reservation generation code given to gold badge and VIPs that could be used even up to 1 week after the fest to reserve the rooms for the weekend date would be a very cool idea. You might need to get the interest from the GB mailing list and only give out codes to those who WILL book at the Artmore, but that would solve a few issues:

1. There would be no need to get up super early.
2. There would be no need to book the room that Saturday.
3. VIP/GB holders could reserve at their leisure.
4. It would not cause the Artmore very much inconvenience to hold the rooms for 1 week after the fest.

The only potential problem would be the Suites people seem to like. You may need to limit this kind of thing to one room type, say, 2 double bed occupancy.

Jen, IMO I think you guys did fine. It honestly doesn't take much time to get up, get downstairs and get your room registered and go back up to bed.

I walked over from the Super 8 after 2 hours of sleep, and their whole system crashed as I was next in line to get a room. Also, they took my name down on a sheet of paper and told me they'd call me when their systems were back up. Then, I walked BACK to the Super 8. I'm still waiting for that call.

I'm not trying to be a douche, and I honestly don't care that much as I've decided to stay at the Residence Inn next year, but it was kind of frustrating to walk a mile and be told their new systems were dead and then having no one follow up with me.

It works out for me as after thinking about it, I really love the Residence Inn. It's really close and I can "get away" from the party atmosphere. I was actually kind of impressed by how quiet it WAS though, when I was visiting friends at the Artmore, so props for that.

It works out for me as after thinking about it, I really love the Residence Inn. It's really close and I can "get away" from the party atmosphere. I was actually kind of impressed by how quiet it WAS though, when I was visiting friends at the Artmore, so props for that.

Agreed about RI. That or Courtyard by Marriott or any of the other 14th Street hotels. The Artmore is a dump charging (nigh on) boutique prices. The only things boutique about it are the lobby and courtyard (and have you seen the upholstery on those chairs...?).

It's cool that the place is close but with the environment being open to partying from non-guests, I'd consider any of the hotels within that short 5 minutes walk away from it to be 1st choice in comparison. I know the rooms have gotten a bit more expensive all over the last few years and maybe what Ian does with the condo rental is the best deal at this point.

It's cool that they do what they do still though. It saves a lot of people the hassle of having to deal with finding a hotel room. There were a few years in the past where concurrent weekend events made that near impossible.

I sincerely would like constructive feedback on how the Artmore early reservation process could be improved. Glenn and I certainly can't make any promises for a process change, but I'm open to hearing your ideas.

Here are my thoughts.. hopefully, gold bagde holders and sponsors view the opportunity to book rooms for next year prior to the general public as a perk.
~Jen

Jen, in general we like to bitch about things. I love the ability to book the hotel in advance, and it is a great perk to not have to fight the internet to get a room.

I'd love to have an online setup or reservation code like Nailz suggests, but I'm not sure it's feasible. I don't think the Artmore has much incentive to do this, but it would be great.

Barring that, I think 11 am might be a better hour, but given the choice of 10 am special booking or nothing, I'll take the 10 am any day.

Steve in Philly

Here are my thoughts.. hopefully, gold bagde holders and sponsors view the opportunity to book rooms for next year prior to the general public as a perk. ..We honestly thought 10am was a resonable time (please don't throw anything at me!), and opening up reservations at noon to the general public was a good plan. And, it was a happy medium with the management at the Artmore.

~Jen
Getting first crack a reserving next year early is a MAJOR perk for me. We have people in our with health issues that truly need that nearby hotel. And we really need the suite too. I also think 10:00 is really the best time and quite fair. I really can't think of a better way to do it.

As for the Artmore being a dump, I have stayed in true "dumps" and it ain't even close. Try booking a room at a "medium" price in NYC. BTW, bed bugs come free! I DO agree the prices are high and it could use more upgrading, but they are charging what the market will bear and that's just how it goes with any event.

I walked over from the Super 8 after 2 hours of sleep, and their whole system crashed as I was next in line to get a room. Also, they took my name down on a sheet of paper and told me they'd call me when their systems were back up. Then, I walked BACK to the Super 8. I'm still waiting for that call.

I've heard the Super 8 took a massive sh!t this year. I was referring more to the folks complaining, who were staying at the Artmore. I can totally sympathize for the folks who were staying elsewhere this year, and were trying to stay at the Artmore (hence my suggestion for a GB/Sponsor block). I do think your suggestions are awesome, if the Artmore were able to implement it, which I don't see why they couldn't. It's basically a coupon code and most hotels already have that type of system implemented.

I give my approval to this. But AMBR, know that we are teh old folks. We tend to go to bed right after the show ;) *shakes fist at those damn younglings partying til sunrise!!!* :p
Ha, ha, ha. You "old" kids are hilarious. I went to bed at 3AM most nights (4 on Sat.) and was mocked for being a wimp. Thanks for the offer, though. Did try to turn down the AC every night, but others turned it up and is their right if they are hot.

Ha, ha, ha. You "old" kids are hilarious. I went to bed at 3AM most nights (4 on Sat.) and was mocked for being a wimp. Thanks for the offer, though. Did try to turn down the AC every night, but others turned it up and is their right if they are hot.

Then you can be an "old" kid like me, those are the same hours I got off work and headed to bed. Next year, shoot me a text on Wednesday so I remember to bring my beanie and neck scarf for you.

I don't think the Artmore has much incentive to do this, but it would be great.

I'm pretty sure "We'll sell out your hotel for 5 days including 3 weekend days every year for the forseeable future" is a pretty good incentive.

My idea was just a suggestion to make things easier for the attendees, but it should be absolutely noted that I also think Glenn/Jen AND the hotel go WAY beyond customer service already. If the process can't be improved, I think everyone is happy it exists. However, just because something exists doesn't mean it can't be improved. :)

I've heard the Super 8 took a massive sh!t this year.

Honestly, it wasn't any worse than last year, except for the fact that they overbooked and bumped us, and to get us into ONE room (where we had 2) they had to bump someone else. Oh and the first room they put us into had a major problem with the sink not .... um... being attached to the wall. And what can one expect for $55 for the whole weekend, right? Still, I absolutely will not put up with that kind of bullshit of flying for 8 hours to find out I have nowhere to stay until they decide to get their shit together. I'm pretty sure they were hoping we'd just go away, rather than trying to find us a room.

I was referring more to the folks complaining, who were staying at the Artmore. I can totally sympathize for the folks who were staying elsewhere this year, and were trying to stay at the Artmore (hence my suggestion for a GB/Sponsor block).

Ah, gotcha, yah, screw them. Pansies. LOL. I was literally in line for about 30 minutes. If I'd been staying at the Artmore, or even the RI, I'd have just shrugged it off and thought "oh well whatever." I just think people like to complain.

I do think your suggestions are awesome, if the Artmore were able to implement it, which I don't see why they couldn't. It's basically a coupon code and most hotels already have that type of system implemented.

Thanks. I have no idea how long the line was for the "general public" for rooms for next year, but obviously something like this would be quite a bit more difficult on that kind of scale. Perhaps there could be some kind of PP general code to use to book rooms, but then you're literally asking the hotel to block off EVERYTHING for a week, and that may still be too much of a risk.