Cheers and Jeers

Cheers:

- All the bands, especially Circus Maximus, Myrath, Sabaton, Shadow Gallery.

- Extra shout out to Rhapsody and Sabaton for the extra stage production and choreography, for making it more than just playing music.

- Wolverine acoustic show. Really beautiful and emotional.

- The promoters and crew, as always.

- Next year's lineup! I expected a Seventh Wonder return, but Mercy Falls, wow! Also the Pain of Salvation show will be incredible.

- I liked the extra videos during the breaks. And cheers to Mindcage for the sponsorship.

Jeers:

- Blinding stage light during Rhapsody.

- Limited and inconsistent merchandise; CM's exclusive shirt is awesome though.

- Guy who wouldn't stand in one place for the Wolverine acoustic show. Hard to enjoy the show when I have to constantly re-adjust my position in order to see the band.

- Long, non-sequitur intros. If you're going to perform Bohemian Rhapsody or The Final Countdown, awesome! But if you're just going to pipe it in while I look at an empty stage, I'd sooner just keep the house music on for a few minutes.

- Christmas music (lol).

Mixed:

- Technical issues. No major set change delays (yay!) but it seemed like there were more issues than usual during the performances. It looked like almost every band had problems with the stage right equipment. Oh well, they all worked through it well (except that snipe against the crew by Armored Saint -- boo).

- Mixing. Good for the most part, but a few sets were just too loud, and at least through my ear plugs the vocals were too soft for several of the bands.

What was the John Bush jab?
I don't recall the exact phrasing, but it was something to the effect of "Shit happens when you don't have your own crew with you, just gotta roll through it." Obviously, PPUSA regulars know that the crew does an incredible job so it struck a chord with a lot of people. Had he said "equipment" or something else instead of "crew", I suspect fewer people would have had a negative reaction - the longtime fans are, for lack of a better word, protective of the crew and the job they do.

It's entirely possible that it was something that didn't come out quite the way John intended, especially since he's likely unfamiliar with how this festival and its crew are when compared to a lot of other festivals, but that's purely speculation on my part. Perhaps there was further discussion after the set, be it an explanation, apology, or context, but that's between Glenn/the crew and Armored Saint.

Cheers:
- Glenn and Jen for making this all happen!
- MYRATH!!! I was blown away.
- Shadow Gallery for finally playing PP and exceeding expectations
- Circle II Circle, Damnation Angels, In the Silence, Circus Maximus, Wolverine, Soilwork and Armored Saint for great sets
- Mark and Louis for keeping me laughing
- Milton, where's that Brazilian booze???
- Andy and Amy for being warm, kind and fun
- Skittles and Tracy. :-x
- Heather F for getting me plowed on apple pie moonshine
- the Rose brothers and the Hallums for general awesomeness
- Zaher for being a truly great guy. Bonus points for shutting the loudmouth patron at Guitar Center up by shredding circles around him
- Nick van Dyk for ongoing graciousness
- DC Cooper for the nice conversation we had in the Courtyard
- Google maps for getting Mark and Louis lost. We're even, bitches!
- the crew for making this an (apparently) seamless show

Jeers:
- me, for being a little anti-social this weekend. Mea culpa.
- me again, for forgetting that I have to make a tv appearance today, complete with PP voice and alcohol bloat
- gentle jeer for security at Center Stage. They were a little inconsistent this year.

Another *major* jeer.

Why is it that every time a Nightmare Records artist plays ProgPower, they hide their merch at the Nightmare table as opposed to the main "performing bands" merch table?

MYRATH shirts should've been available with all of the other performing ProgPower USA bands. That was BS.

Jeers:

- Long, non-sequitur intros. If you're going to perform Bohemian Rhapsody or The Final Countdown, awesome! But if you're just going to pipe it in while I look at an empty stage, I'd sooner just keep the house music on for a few minutes.

This was the 4th time I was seeing Sabaton live and they always have the entire Final Countdown song in the venue's speakers before their set. So that was surely not surprising they did it again at PP. I don't know the reason they have this particular song, which doesn't fit their style. Maybe they just enjoy the damn song.

Volbeat does the same and have Motorhead's Born To Raise Hell just before they get on stage, which is pretty cool IMO.

I don't recall the exact phrasing, but it was something to the effect of "Shit happens when you don't have your own crew with you, just gotta roll through it." Obviously, PPUSA regulars know that the crew does an incredible job so it struck a chord with a lot of people. Had he said "equipment" or something else instead of "crew", I suspect fewer people would have had a negative reaction - the longtime fans are, for lack of a better word, protective of the crew and the job they do.

That is how I recalled it went, and it did sting a little for me, considering that I am good friends with several of the crew, most notably Rick Pierpont, "J-dub" and Harris, to name three off the top of my head.

It's entirely possible that it was something that didn't come out quite the way John intended, especially since he's likely unfamiliar with how this festival and its crew are when compared to a lot of other festivals, but that's purely speculation on my part. Perhaps there was further discussion after the set, be it an explanation, apology, or context, but that's between Glenn/the crew and Armored Saint.

However, I think you may be correct here and is also why I did not let myself get to worked up over it.

After letting myself get some rest and "decompress" a little bit, I can finally sit down and reply to this.

Damn - where to begin. This was by far, one of the most EPIC ProgPowers, at least since the 2011 edition (as somebody else already mentioned)! That was just such an incredible experience from the moment I checked in the hotel and finding a party already well underway Wednesday evening right up and including just before getting to my gate at the airport on the way home. Just in the airport Sunday, I ran into Circus Maximus, Myrath, and Lance King and his group, in addition a number of fellow ProgPower attendees.

Cheers:
As usual, Glenn and Miel for putting this thing together year after year. Seems like when you can't think it could get any better, it does!
Nathan Block for putting together a kick-ass pre-show and that VIP program he has awesome!
All of my fellow sponsors. You guys are awesome and is a true delight to get to hang out and see you each year.
The crew for doing a kick-ass job, despite the gremlins that keep popping up during the sets.
Two all the other folks that I've met. For example, to the couple that was sitting up on the third row immediately to stage right (the left side of the arena looking into the stage), that not only saved my seat so I can sit down during the sets, but also gave me a piece of pizza! This was their first ProgPower and they were obviously there for Sabaton, given the matching cameo pants and the Sabaton T-shirts they were wearing. I wish I've gotten your names and hope to see you again next year.
All of the band for putting on kick-ass performances. Holy shit, my ass has gotten kicked so friggan many times, I wonder if there was going to be any left by the time Sabaton came on! Another cool person that I got to meet for the first time (this is actually his second PP) was one Kenji Kobayashi who came all the way from Tokyo Japan for this. He said he plans on coming back next year. Looking out for you bro and hope you made it back safely home! :kickass:
Getting to talk-down a very nervous guitarist from In the Silence during the sound checks at the pre-show. He was like "thank you so much for bringing me back to reality" and such afterwards.
Having dinner with Luca Turilli! Holy shit, that was awesome! Was funny that he insisted that I go and try the fish, and of course, I had to! After listening to all those albums, from way back in the original Rhapsody days "before it became "of fire", I never would have once thought that I would be sitting down to a meal with the guy!
Hanging out with Wolverine guys immediately before Sabaton, and telling the how awesome both their main set and their acoustic set was.
Hanging out back-stage immediately after Sabaton finished for like an hour with members of Wolf, Circus Maximum, Xandria, and several of the other VIPs. Not only that, being told to take as many of the leftover beers that I could carry with me as I left, so I had like three of them stuffed in my pocket and carrying another four in hand. Besides the actual staff and crew, I think I was one of the very last to leave the place.
Those "metal cupcakes". Damn, they were awesome!

Jeers:
Having to drag my very tired ass all the way back from Atlanta to Fredericksburg. I tried to watch last night's Cowboy's/Giants game, but ended up falling asleep.
Airline for fucking up on Myrath, but damn, those guys was still able to get it to together and just deliver one totally kicking ass set. Bonus Cheer for Circus Maximus for just by chance, having the exact same model of guitar for Myrath to borrow to replace the one that went missing due to the airline fuckup.
Also do to airline bullshit, we almost did not get a Sabaton show either, but thankfully that also worked out and everyone here bared witness to what transpired since! :headbang:
From what I saw, generally the courtyard parties seemed pretty well behaved, but there was one incident were some dunk ass was trying to start shit with the bar staff on Friday night, where I pretty much had to step in. I was able to personally smooth it over with the hotel staff and they were very gracious.

Overall, this was just such an awesome ProgPower and friggan CANNOT WAIT until next year. That lineup announced for next year for both the main show and the pre-show is just friggan SICK!! If only you saw the bear-hug I gave Nathan for bringing back DGM, whom I've sponsored for the 2010 ProgPower! I guess I better get a damned Facebook account now, considering how much pestering I've gotten all weekend about it, i.e., "Dude! You need to get on Facebook!".

Cheers…

* Glenn, Jen, and crew for throwing yet another awesome party! I don’t know how much (if any) of the fest y’all actually get to enjoy for yourselves, but your efforts are truly appreciated!
* Nathan for an awesome kick-off show…looks like next year will be unforgettable as well!
* All the bands, especially…
* Shadow Gallery – a truly brilliant set from one of my “bucket list” bands. It was bittersweet to finally get to see SG, but without Mike Baker. I have to say I was impressed, though, with how the new singer handled the old material. And DC Cooper joining the band for “New World Order”…amazing!
* Circus Maximus – the band responsible for bringing me to ProgPower. I picked up “The 1st Chapter” in 2006 and was completely blown away. When I found that their only U.S. date was at the PPVII showcase, I headed out to ATL not knowing a soul…and figured I might as well stick around for the rest of the festivities. Eight ProgPowers later, my life has been changed for the better in SO many ways, and it’s always a joy to see the band that started it all for me!
* Circle II Circle – LOVED hearing “Wake of Magellan” in its entirety. And when Zak gave up the mic and took up a spot behind the drum kit, I thought, “DAMN, this has been an awesome set, and now it’s going to suck.” Wrong, wrong, WRONG! :headbang: Oh, ye of little faith…
* Wolverine – A million thanks for sharing both your music and your personal lives with us at the special acoustic set on Saturday. Eat your heart out, VH1 Storytellers!
* Myrath – There’s usually one band every year that comes out of nowhere to kick my ass. MYRATH was that band this year! I have two of the CDs, which I enjoy, but the live performance? Honestly, it’s hard to find the words to describe how amazing this set was. :worship: :worship: :worship:
* All of the wonderful attendees that make the festival extra special. It almost brings a tear to my eye to think that most of us would have never crossed paths if not for PPUSA!
* Really glad that the video announcement was moved from Saturday back to Friday night, as it creates a great buzz around the fest on Saturday. Cheers also to showing the video during a changeover instead of after the last band.
* Loved having the Saturday headliner go on earlier than usual. Nice to have a little extra time for socializing, packing, and/or sleeping!
* Truly Great Cupcakes for the awesome lemon cupcakes! I now return to my regularly scheduled programming of fruits veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains. (Although now that I think about it, lemon *is* a fruit…I should have bought another box…)
* Smoke-free venue. YES!!!!!! My eyes, my throat, and my lungs send “cheers” as well!
* Mindcage and Kinematic Music for sponsoring…I really hope they enjoyed the experience and will be returning next year! :kickass:

Jeers…

* Like others, I found the comment from John Bush about not having his own crew to be annoying. It also didn’t seem like any of the other band members were really engaged with the audience. Haven’t seen them live before, so maybe that’s the status quo. I’d be interested to know how they handled the signing session.
* Really sad to hear multiple accounts of merch being stolen. Those of us who are part of the “family” will have to be extra vigilant next year to watch out for our metal brothers and sisters. Also hope the phone that was lost was recovered.
*”Jeer” is a little extreme, but more of a pet peeve…pre-recorded intros/outros and instrumental solos. Bands, we love you...PLEASE play one extra song instead!

Finally, NOT a jeer, since Glenn and Jen 100% deserve a break when the time finally comes to wind the festival down…but many, many TEARS will be shed if next year turns out to be the last ProgPower.

Finally, NOT a jeer, since Glenn and Jen 100% deserve a break when the time finally comes to wind the festival down…but many, many TEARS will be shed if next year turns out to be the last ProgPower.

I was telling people that if next year turns out to be the last, you will probably be seeing a 44 year-old man sitting on that curb in front of the Artmore bawling his head off on Saturday night! The replies I was often getting was that "You will see me sitting right next to you doing the same!"

I was telling people that if next year turns out to be the last, you will probably be seeing a 44 year-old man sitting on that curb in front of the Artmore bawling his head off on Saturday night! The replies I was often getting was that "You will see me sitting right next to you doing the same!"

Oh, I'll be right there with you. And THAT will certainly be a puzzling scene for any unsuspecting passers-by! :lol:

I will be weepier than a PMSing teenager.

No! No! N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

I had to find the context of this reply.....

Thus, I find the following quote in the "Quotes from ProgPower XIV" thread (did not realize you were also not on Facebook):

OrbWeaver said:
Dude to Urban: "Oh, I'll set you up on Facebook! I can help you get started and everything!"
Urban: *face falls, looks as if someone just kicked his puppy*
Seriously, Urban's face was hilarious. Mere words cannot capture the abject desolation of his expression at the thought of having to use Facebook.

I know, I really have no desire to use Facebook either, but at the same time, if that what it takes stay in contact with many of my friends... :erk:

I keep telling my wife every year that this will probably be our last PpUSA event due to cost, old age, lineups, Glenn can't outdo himself every year, etc... Every year I can't bring myself to NOT go to the show, and when I think that it may come to an end possibly next year, I get teared up a little myself. I think there will be 500 strong balling out front of the venue at 2am when it finally ends.
If it ends next year, what a fantastic lineup to say goodbye with! My wife and I will pay Glenn for our Gold badges as soon as he lets us know when to.

Cheers:

Glenn & Jenn for delivering one hell of a festival!

Seeing Renegade and getting one hell of a nice hug and telling him that he is still a part of our Progpower family and that we all love him! He got a little teared up and so did I.

Two words: MYRATH & ARMORED SAINT

All of my regular and brand new friends I made this year!

Jeers:

To my piece of shit brand new phone that has a shit-ass camera in it! Currently chatting to Verizon now about sending this piece o' crap back. The Droid Razr M is an epic fail and belongs with the Ford Edsel!

I have one more jeer...
During Luca's performance, on the right side of the stage, there was a couple of larger chicks mosh-making out. Like lip-locked, arms around eachother, squeezing boobs, the works. And they were stumbling around into people. And people, being grossed out, just kind of let them slide through the crowd like butter. At one point, they stumbled up to the front of the stage and somebody offered them a spot on the rail, effectively pushing me off the rail into no-mans land....whoever did that, ARE YOU TAKING CRAZY PILLS?
Security did nothing except for a few concerned looks.
I don't blame security, they weren't hurting anyone, just weirding everyone out to the point of distracting from the Italians destroying the stage.
Did anyone else experience this?

I have one more jeer...
During Luca's performance, on the right side of the stage, there was a couple of larger chicks mosh-making out. Like lip-locked, arms around eachother, squeezing boobs, the works. And they were stumbling around into people. And people, being grossed out, just kind of let them slide through the crowd like butter. At one point, they stumbled up to the front of the stage and somebody offered them a spot on the rail, effectively pushing me off the rail into no-mans land....whoever did that, ARE YOU TAKING CRAZY PILLS?
Security did nothing except for a few concerned looks.
I don't blame security, they weren't hurting anyone, just weirding everyone out to the point of distracting from the Italians destroying the stage.
Did anyone else experience this?

I experienced seeing something similar on the right side of the venue as well (sitting on the first row of seats), but it was a guy-girl couple. They were not only being borderline inappropriate, but tough on the eyes too... :lol:

I experienced seeing something similar on the right side of the venue as well (sitting on the first row of seats), but it was a guy-girl couple. They were not only being borderline inappropriate, but tough on the eyes too... :lol:

The girl was the same one liplocking with the drunk chick..her boyfriend kept trying to join in and kept getting denied :lol:

This was my first ProgPower and had a fantastic time. Worth the long trip from the west coast. I'll be back next year:

Cheers:

- The Festival ran on time and very professionally - great staff all around!
- Prices for drinks, food and parking were reasonable
- Not a bad seat in the house, even the back row felt up close
- Loved all the bands - especially Myrath, Circus Maximus, Sabaton, Shadow Gallery, Armored Saint, and Rhapsody
- Sausalito West Coast Grill was awesome!
- No long waits at the bars
- Drinking fountains were a lifesaver, although one didn't work
- Free program and CD sampler were awesome
- The official shirt is awesome
- Very cool crowd
- All the bands hanging out and at the signing sessions were friendly, although the Myrath guys slightly less so (maybe a cultural thing - I don't blame them)
- Visited the aquarium and botanical garden while in Atlanta and they were awesome.
- Lineup was awesome!
- Next year's lineup is even better - It's like they were reading my mind when they booked Thursday and Friday.

Jeers:

- Merchandise was VERY disappointing. I was so excited to get the ProgPower Circus Maximus shirt and they were sold out before I even found the merchandise table (less than an hour after the doors opened). And no Myrath shirts at all? Seriously, I was prepared to go home with 6 new shits and I turned out only buying the official festival shirt.
- Sound was a little muddy at times, although I think where in the venue you are located made a big difference.
- Vender room was pretty crowded at time. Wish they could have spread things out a bit.
- I never got a chance to meet Glenn to thank him since always looked super busy when I saw him and I didn't want to bother him. - So thanks Glenn!