Cheers 'n Jeers '12

freakchylde

PPUSA Driver o' Doom!!!!!
Apr 25, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
www.freakchylde.net
Massive cheers -
Anette for making my sister's birthday even more amazing.

Redemption and Pretty Maids for ending a slightly bad day on a really funny note.

Darius (of front door fame), for helping a girl out.

Tommy, for helping me feel a bit better.

Julien for being an awesome husband and rock to lean on.

Roger (Nightwish manager) for being the most awesome guy to work with.

Punchy (Sym X manager) for also being super awesome to work with.

The Courtyard, for having a cold pool to soak my feet in, when I had the chance.

Vespucci's, for having coffee when the cafe next door was closed.

All the bands, for using every possible way to get in touch with me, and being easy to work with and providing laughs and good conversation.

The fans, for being quick to move when I came around and always clearing the dock for me. You have no idea how awesome that is, and I am very grateful to you.

Edit: Jake, OMG, super awesome hug that made my day. Please, do that frequently the next time you play ProgPower. Could have stayed like that all night and woke up a smile the next morning.

Jeers:

The douche who stole my reusable magnet on Wednesday. I hope you keep that under wraps, because whoever gets it back to me, gets a magnet sign for the festival, signed by their favourite band of that festival. As long as they provide me with a picture of whoever is showing it off, when they turn the magnet in. Many negative hopes and wishes directed at you, that cannot be stated in this forum.

These are my personal Jeers. NOT POINTING THE FINGER AT ANYONE!!!!

The artmore throwing a private party during OUR exclusive weekend.
The technical difficulties during some of the sets. Redemption's Bernie getting cut off during his solo set and Amaranthe having their difficulties
The late start on the the headliners. Getting out damn near 3am both nights takes a toll on this old body.
Jake E from Amaranthe grabbing my chest during their autograph session. (this is both a cheer and a jeer). lol

Cheers
LANFEAR!!!!!!! Best set out of the entire weekend in my opinion.
Next Years prog power!!!!!
The courtyard afterparty on Saturday night!!!

Cheers - for another amazing ProgPower and everyone who makes it happen
Vespucci's and Solmilito's (sp? I know I butchered the name) for the amazing food oh so close!!
Starbucks 2 blocks up from the Rez
Jaime the bartender!!!

Jeers - I only have one...
The Friday night center door security guy who, while we watched the announcement from just inside the doors, told us to get seats or get out.. We walked out, propped open a door so we could watch. He immediately came over said 'if you want to watch it find a seat' (we yelled at him, he yelled at us) and shut the doors.. We found another set of doors that were wide open and that guy didn't have an issue with us watching at all..

Jeers - I only have one...
The Friday night center door security guy who, while we watched the announcement from just inside the doors, told us to get seats or get out.. We walked out, propped open a door so we could watch. He immediately came over said 'if you want to watch it find a seat' (we yelled at him, he yelled at us) and shut the doors.. We found another set of doors that were wide open and that guy didn't have an issue with us watching at all..

It isn't the first time that's happened over the years. I have a feeling the reason has to do with fire codes.

Cheers:

Sausolito Grill - A very nice discovery. Yummy tacos. Nice to have something OTHER than pizza nearby.

Jeers:

Residence Inn - Man, that place has gone to hell since I last stayed there. The room was missing a TV remote and a do-not-disturb sign. The tub faucet leaked, the toilet tank leaked and the shower didn't have a temperature between cold and scalding hot. Breakfast also seems to have gone downhill. Probably won't stay there again.

CHEER:

Pretty Maids giving me the scare thinking they weren't going to play "Future World" and "Red, Hot & Heavy" on their first trip to the USA! They did not disappoint. Great set and worth the wait. \m/

JEER:

- My feet and back.
- Lack of front of stage lighting during Symphony X. Kind of like being able to see Romeo shred from the seating area. Their banner was well lit that was for sure too bad it wasn't playing the songs however. hahaha.

Cheers:

-Amaranthe. :kickass:
-Epica, Symphony X, Redemption and Solution .45 also putting on an awesome show
-No more sidewalk construction work between Artmore and the venue
-Myrath being announced from ProgPower XIV. Holy crap.
-More of the bands getting on-stage according to the schedule than usual, other than the headliners
-Vortex. Yum.

Jeers:

-Me getting tired too easily. Guess I could use getting in better shape.
-When Russell Allen started talking about playing some of Symphony X's longer songs, I was reeeeally hoping for "The Accolade." But! I can't exactly complain about hearing "The Odyssey" in its entirety, either.

Cheers:
Simone Simons for sounding better than ever.
Symphony X for another memorable Prog Power Encore moment
Serenity, for being the best band on stage right now!
Kamelot for kicking ass, and NightWish for kicking more ass.
For King Crow, Amaranthe, Redemption, Beyond the Bridge, Solution .45, Mayan, and Pretty Maids for kicking ass. Meaning that every band I checked out put on a good show.
Friendly native Atlantians
For prog power 2013 happening!

Jeers:
Atlanta drivers.
The inevitable tech problems. Was the even PA on for KingCrow?
For people screaming and bitching during said problems. You're not helping, you're just adding to the frustration. Chill and let the boys do their thing.
Lack of TShirts in large sizes, or XXL sizes for my boy.
One less vender than last year.
Toilet overflow, and staff not turning the room the day after. Yay, sticky crap floor!
For not having enough hours in the day to sleep in, get a good meal, play bball, go swimming, go the gaming store, then make it in time for the first set. Maybe we should swtich to a 30 hour day? I can make some calls.

My Cheers:
- Glenn and Jen
- All of our crew - backstage, transport, lobby, shirts, signing session, etc
- Double cheer to the stage crew. You guys did an AMAZING amount of work under the gun all weekend working with 2 less guys than normal. Thanks so much for the dedication, professionalism, and letting cool heads prevail., and for the most part - keeping the fest on time.
- EVERY SINGLE BAND MEMBER - they were all so nice to work with this year. No egos, no attitudes. Band crews had some really class people in their ranks as well.
- Kent, Dylan, and staff
- All of my extended metal family
- The bands for kick ass sets and patience with any issues
-Tommy and Elize for being so nice, Jake for being Jake, Ken Hammer for ALL the laughs (funny, funny guy)
- Kong and Oliva for being the fun, easy-going consumate pros and putting on an impressive exhibition .. amzing looking into that talented mind.
JEERS
- The asshats who managed to get the party shut down at the Courtyard on the one night I can hang and see my extended metal family
- People with the wrong attitude for this business

I'm also going on record and saying there swere very few tech glitches - like drop outs, cutouts, etc. I was offstage for whatever happened to Bernies rig, and did not get to speak to him regarding what it was.
You would not believe what magic Jake and his guys did to pull that set off.... and those issues were beyond control of the band or crew.
Yes - changeovers took more time than we wanted in some cases.. and in some instances, something that had been programmed in a dressing room and was set up on stage fine, just quit. THAT is not something that we can help

Most delays were caused by patch changes, or last minute changes. See my Jeer #2

Cheers:

1. To the ProgPower team for putting on another awesome event!
2. Great variety of bands
3. Exceptional performances by Sinbreed, Serenity, Primordial, Epica, Mayan, and Symphony X
4. Various other friendly attendees who I got to chat with
5. As a former keyboard player, special shout out to Beyond the Bridge for actually playing most of the keyboard parts live rather than using backing tracks

Jeers:

1. Bright white lights aimed directly at the audience are annoying...lots of people sitting near me were covering their eyes
2. Inconsistent security policy on outside food: Friday we were allowed to bring in take out from a local restaurant and saw lots of other people do the same, Saturday people with food were getting turned away at the door

Cheers:

- Glenn & Jen. Thank you so much for another fun filled fest. It was the best one yet. I know you two work you butts off all year long and as a multi-year sponsor I wish to personally thank you both. :worship: :headbang: :kickass:

- All the bands kicked ass. Not a bad one in the bunch this year.

- The Jon Olvia workshop. The man, the legend. Words can't describe this experience fully.

- Lanfear. Again, not enough words to describe how wonderful these guys are. Steve and I sponsored them this year and they were some of the best people I've ever known. I wish I was able to spend more time with them. I hope to see them in the US again someday. Oh, and they put on a kickass set too. :) (And an extra thank you to OrbWeaver as a fellow co-sponsor)

- The PP USA crew. For all the hard work that you do. As a sponsor I get to see it first hand and realize you work your asses off. Nice to have met Harris (the new keyboard tech). Major kudos for all of you guys.

- All of my friends and fellow sponsors who were there. It was great to see you all again. We talk all the time on Facebook, but it's so much nicer to see you in person. Wish we could have partied longer.

- To all the other fans - thank you for attending as well. The fest couldn't happen without you.

- Sausolito West Coast Grill and Vespucci's Italian Restaurant. Some of the best food I've ever eaten - and a huge plus they're really close to Center Stage. Extra special kudos to Vespucci's for being open late on Thursday night. We ate a late meal there just before closing time (12 midnight).

- Wayne Joyner for yet again a wonderful video. Your work is awesome. It's amazing how well the video looked considering how short of time you had to put it together.

- Circus Maximus and Sabaton for the special videos for the fest. CM's video is pure awesomeness.

Jeers:

None of these have anything to do with the show.

- The Artmore incident. Nuff said.

- The Atlanta airport for not having a good fast food place before security. They used to have a Wendy's, a Chinese restaurant and Domino's there. All gone now. Hope they bring in something good by next year.

So looking forward to next year already. Back to reality for the next 50 weeks. :cry:

Cheers

The bands! – Quality from top to bottom in terms of performances. Starting Thursday night I saw entire sets from every band aside from three. The only band I did not see at all was Primordial (sorry had to eat sometime). I saw bits of Pretty Maids (not my thing, but glad other people liked it) and heard and saw some of Mystic Prophecy while waiting for the Serenity signing. I did not see a single bad performance and the number of stellar performances was high. It is hard to even pick a favorite, though I would pick Serenity if I had to. But Amaranthe, Solution.45, Kamelot, Mayan and Epica were all amazing. So many bands I did not know so well put on good performances and bands that I liked completely exceeded my expectations. I have been going to concerts for about 24 years and nothing even comes close to the number of great bands and performances at this festival. Thanks Glenn for putting together such an amazing line up (and of course helping it run smoothly)

The Fans – 99% of the fans there were so cool. It was so easy to just strike up a conversation with random people while waiting for bands. For the most part people were super friendly and I talked to people who came from all over for the festival. It was great to hear about which bands they enjoyed, which bands they were looking forward to and just their experiences at the fest, Overwhelmingly there was a lack of drunk behavior and douchebaggery that accompany many metal shows.

The social media – it was great to see people’s pictures and instant reactions on the Facebook events page. Also getting Tweets as text messages was a cool idea as it kept me informed about delays, schedule changes etc while on the floor. Just another cool way to connect with people and get info about the fest.

Da Vinci’s restaurant – Good food, open late and friendly staff. I was talking a employee who said they love the fest since it brings in business. But she also said how nice and friendly attendees were compared to other events.

The decision to pay for a car service from the airport. Our flight got in at 7:05 pm on Thursday. Even though it was more expensive we opted for the car service over the MARTA. Got to our hotel, threw down our stuff and got the venue just in time for Kamelot.

Security – I saw some complaints, but every security guard I talked to up front was polite and friendly. They also said how good the crowd was compared to many they have to deal with.

Jeers

As I said 99% of fans were great, but there are always exceptions in a group this large

The sexist comments. I like that this festival has a broad appeal to female fans and that the number of female performers this year was high. Especially since this type of music typically male affairs. But that typical dude sexism was there from various attendees. During Nightwish a group of people were commenting loudly how Annette gained weight and proceeded to yell “she’s fat!”. I think she looked, sounded and performed great. Look, if this is a private conversation between people, it is none of my business but to say this loudly and then shout it toward the band is just horrible. I hope these people have daughters some day and perhaps gain a little empathy. Another old dude was making skeezy comments in the press area before Amaranthe like ‘well at least there will be some eye candy up there” Again, it was the dirty-old-man nature of the comments and the broadcasting of them that was creepy. There were female fans right around him, with disgusted looks on their faces.

Lastly, a jeer to the entitled photographer that managed to annoy in the double digits of people (including multiple security guards). Between the phone calls, talking so loudly that people could not hear bands and grabbing a security guards ass, your behavior was annoying. Like I said, every security guard was rolling their eyes or complaining about your behavior. Also many fans up front had become aware by the behavior too. “oh yea, that person that was talking so loud I could hear them over the band”

Sausolito Grill - A very nice discovery. Yummy tacos. Nice to have something OTHER than pizza nearby.

Jeers:

Residence Inn - Man, that place has gone to hell since I last stayed there. The room was missing a TV remote and a do-not-disturb sign. The tub faucet leaked, the toilet tank leaked and the shower didn't have a temperature between cold and scalding hot. Breakfast also seems to have gone downhill. Probably won't stay there again.

Sausolito - That's the name!!!! The Shrimp Mango tacos were INSANELY nummy...

And I totally agree, the Rez has tanked a bit in the last year. We too were missing the Do Not Disturbed sign and it took several attempts to finally get one. Another pal had no hot water in her room for days but did get moved to an available room later. Breakfast was decent Sunday morning - the rest of the days was just blech

And I second the 'sexist comments' jeer - I heard one in particular during Amaranthe's set that was just plain rude. I hope those folks that made these comments are plagued with a new super form of ProgPower crud.

Cheers
- 98% of the people that i got to be around were nice, and fun to talk to and catch up with. As it is every year lots of fun and great people. (most a young lady who let my wife and I take her front row spot during Kamelot set, while she took the pics in front of the rail.)
- Lance King of course every year is so nice to the fans and has great deals at the table
- All the bands of course for signing and being so nice letting us get pics,and autographs.
- The Progpower usa crew for making everything run so smooth
- Pretty Maids for rocking the house
- How cool the PPUSA shirts are
- couple of cool bands on the Sampler disc

Jeers

- The other 2% of the people, guy giving SX the finger, or the guy that was yelling out you're fat during the Nightwish set at the singer, just stupid and rude.or just the know-it-alls that you run into every now and again

- The Pretty Maids Merch. or Lack of I should say

Cheers:
The usual suspects - Glenn, Jenn and the whole PPUSA crew. I kept telling myself as I reveled in my exhaustion how much harder all these guys worked. It really helped keep how tired I was by Saturday in perspective. :)

The Silver Skillet - for some down home southern hospitality and breakfast!

The Catering company (that obviously took a big hit by even coming to the Artmore. I don't think they sold a thing that day) But they still gave me a free lunch because I tried to help them with their van that broke down out front of the hotel.

Metall Rose - for being our on-site EMT during the party. Your fortitude in making sure 'Nanners II' was taken care of was brave and respected.

Cheers to most of the photographers who were respectful of not only the need but in working together to switch perspectives by switching vantage points with me.

Cheers to ALL OF THE BANDS who were really accommodating and friendly and engaging with the fans (even oddly enough, I didn't get any pics taken with anyone) that wasn't the point of my visit with them...just enjoying the moment(s)

AMBR - for the great poster again!

All the vendors - you guys do tiresome work as well. Thanks for all the work you do

Cheers - my room mates. :p

The beautiful bartenders and staff at Center Stage and Vinyl. They're like part of the experience which is kinda neat. Most wait staff and bartenders can be complete jerks.

Not too many Jeers to think of really...that's what makes PPUSA so awesome!

Jeers: To the Artmore for charging my card TWICE. I'm pretty forgiving before pulling the incompetence card, but the fact I get different answers to my problem with no solutions lends it to being played...again.

Although, the party shutdown probably was due to a number of contributing factors including an ambulance during our party and users of the courtyard for an un-related event prior to our arrival...I still wonder if their patience with us belongs here or not. They do have a business to run and we are kinda high maintenance. I kinda giggled as I heard tons of beer bottles being dumped out back every morning, thinking...only during ProgPower...lol

This is clearly not what a upper scale hotel/suite is used to, especially under new management. I wonder how this will impact next years 'party'.:cry:

Jeers: Again to the people who think that 'saving blocks of seats' is somehow their right in a general admission venue. The hotel towels is a nice touch. :err: I had to maintain some perspective when engaging a person with regard to this concept. Next year, Until your 'invisible friends' come back to sit down from being on the floor for 4 sets, I'm taking a load off. Be an ass about it, and I'll unleash one too.:Shedevil:

Everything about XIII was epic and it was so good to see all the familiar faces. Many of which belong to the 'crew of 02', it was kind of funny to see how we all don't hold up like we used to 10-12 years ago. Getting old be damned, PPUSA is a fountain of youth to celebrate all that is right with the world!:wave:

CHEERS:
- Davinci's Pizza! Badass food and open late. Great Sweet Tea as well!
- All the bands for bringing their A Game and turning out great performances.
- Glenn,Jen, Crew
- The whole sponsorship program. It saddens me immensely that I will not be able to participate next year, but am going to try again form 2014.

JEERS
- Nothing too bad, I don't tend to go tot he after party so I can't speak to the Artmore problem.
- Didn't feel like the vendor's selection (especially Century Media) was strong as it had been in year's past. I left with lots of money in my pocket (not a bad thing, just unexpected).

Cheers:
-Serenity
-Symphony X
-Kamelot, Nightwish, Sinbreed, Mystic Prophecy, Pretty Maids
-Glenn: Thanks for everything you've done all these years. The festival will always be one of the Highlights of my life.

Jeers:
-None. Getting older, having attended progpower 10 times, and knowing that each year could be the last installment of the festival helps me keep things in perspective. Gelnn and his staff do their best to make things work, and to make it a special weekend for us. What more can we possibly ask for?

Cheers:
1. Bright white lights aimed directly at the audience are annoying...lots of people sitting near me were covering their eyes

The worst is when you get the binoculars out to look at someone, and then the lights go off. Wasn't too bad at my seat, but nothing you want magnified in your face 3x!

Cheers

- Glenn and Jen. Obviously. I know you guys were under an abnormal amount of intense pressure this whole year around this fest, and the weekend didn't make it any better. Hoping you find time to decompress now. I'm sure it's like letting out a huge sigh of relief.

-My friends who are family, and the new friends I made. Seeing Su and Metal Rose, Manda and Kris, Steve and Dave, Ed, Seven Kingdoms, the Miguel's, Alicia, Jon B, Greg, Matt V, Justin and Will, Michelle, Allen, Esa, Stephen, Jim W, Bobbie, Brian, Hoyt, and those I'm missing, I'm sorry.

-Getting to see Antony play on stage with Amaranthe, and take pictures of it. Seeing a friend on stage was probably the coolest thing I've experienced at PP.

-Meeting Claus, Tess, and Lars! It's been too long that I've not met you! So glad I did, so awesome to be a small part of the inner workings of this community that has given me so much.

-Patrick Hoyt for totally White Knighting when no one else would step up to "Way Too Much To Drink Guy".

-MetalRose deserves hella props for keeping "Way Too Much To Drink Guy" safe from not only himself, but all of the concert goers there with 0 class trying to ride a bent over drunk guy like a horse. Fucking idiots. Also she kept me from stepping in vomit.

-Truely Great Cupcakes for making the most metal fucking cupcakes on the planet.

-The Progpower Crew. I know, guys, I know.

-Vespucci's for welcoming our crazy family into their restaurant with such warm regards. These guys take care of us like no one else.

-The Artmore staff. These guys had 6 weeks to run a hotel before we showed up. They had no fucking idea what was happening and they were cool as all fuck, so back the fuck off on them.

-Venue Security. For the most part, they were amazingly accomodating. We had one issue during the SyX set and standing at the side of the stage for Manda, who is a massive fan of the band and 5'2, but that was eventually overlooked and allowed. Being able to shoot from the side of the stage was really great too and provided some cool angles.

-#models.

-Alan of Primordial. He was, is, and will be the most interesting and amazing person to attend Progpower, on stage and off. I really, really loved seeing him on stage and talking to him off. Especially on Saturday, he really seemed to cut loose a lot and have a ton of fun.

-The people in the pit. It was cramped, there were a lot of us in there, but you were all so incredibly professional and amazing. Thank you to the sponsors especially for making room for the photographers, and thank you to the photographers for giving up the good spots on a rotating basis.

Jeers

-Technical problems. Just the problems themselves, not how they were handled. Fuckin gremlins man. Fuck.

-Missing people. Where were the rest of you. : (((((

-Funk. TAKE. A FUCKING. SHOWER. BRUSH. YOUR. FUCKING. TEETH. FUCK.

-LEDs ... the bane of photographers everywhere.

-Noobie puke face on Wednesday night and Way Too Much To Drink Guy on Saturday. You're not cool because you can't limit yourself. You're a terrible drinker and you damn near destroyed our reputation with the hotel. Fuck both of you.

-Inconsiderate shitheads who scream "show us your tits" and other demeaning remarks to any woman who is on stage. Fuck you, you classless fucks. This goes beyond the men too. On Thursday, after the Nightwish set, as I was waiting for a setlist, a woman turned to me, tsk'd loudly, and said to me in a disgusted voice "You're a man." Like, how dare I want a piece of the show for myself, when there was a woman who wanted it too.

-Tall people in the crowd. Every time I'm on the floor I was behind 3 people who were 8 feet tall. Hahahahahaha.

-I missed the special Sabaton video as it played. I was screaming like a little bitch too loudly. :lol:

Lastly, a jeer to the entitled photographer that managed to annoy in the double digits of people (including multiple security guards). Between the phone calls, talking so loudly that people could not hear bands and grabbing a security guards ass.

I almost had a heart attack thinking you were going to say something about the guy with the red solo cup. :)