Crimson Glory and Guests

But when you call the entire tribute "disgraceful" and "disgusting" because of a few details that you didn't care for, you are not only ruining your own credibility in the scene (ironic, considering that your favorite CG song is "Burning Bridges"), but you're personally insulting everyone involved in the process...

booB is strong. He will make us go. :worship:

I've been a fan for somewhere on the order of 15 years and, personally, I was there to see CG in whatever they chose to present. And I loved both, distinct sets of it! 1600 miles to see them, and they did not disappoint! (oh, and on a side note... I wouldn't be so quick to ridicule any singer for using lyric sheets/books. Not only did Ray Alder use one on Saturday night, but even Midnight used one at the Greece re-union show in 2006 - and they were his songs!!!
(Gee, I wonder what that binder is in front of him???)

Something I believe that's been overlooked is that Astronomica was, in fact, written with Midnight in mind to sing it! Right down the line, from the moment of its conception until they started recording, CG had no one else in mind to sing on it... but Midnight. In fact, before Black Lotus Records went under, CG even had plans to re-record the vocals with Midnight and also had plans to go to Egypt and film a video for the title track. (Somewhere I have a photo of Jeff, Midnight and Jon holding BLR contracts in one hand and a beer in the other...)

Just my $0.03...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I thought it was a very well done tribute to Midnight and most of the singers never had a chance to practice with Crimson before hand, that in itself is amazing. Being that Wade has been in Crimson Glory for a number of years and has been singing Midnights music it was only fitting that he be given a nod and I thought it was very respectful to have him start and finish the set. It was also a tribute to the early Crimson Glory and the future of Crimson Glory in my opinion... I think you are to harsh but entitled to your opinion.

Bear

^

This.

TWO separate performances. One modern Crimson Glory; one (the FAR longer of the two) a tribute to Midnight. They were even separated via vacating the stage temporarily. How is this concept not seeping into your brain?

I was there for both reasons, as were a shitload of other people. Believe it or not, there are still many of us out there who love the current incarnation of Crimson Glory, and have never had the chance to see them live.

It's obvious that you're just bitching about this because you don't like Astronomica. You don't *have* to like it. The band played TWO DIFFERENT SETS, specifically so that people like you would be able to separate one from the other. And they played the Astronomica set first for a good reason. They didn't play the Astronomica stuff at the conclusion of the set, nor did they weave the songs in between the Midnight tribute songs, because it would have been in poor taste to do so.

More importantly, do you really think Midnight would want the band NOT to play any of their new material? I didn't know the guy, but I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't want them to go on after his death.

Oh, yes! Now I understand... you're not a "professional" band unless you can pull off every song in the world without practicing! I hope you realize how ridiculous you're being.

How the hell do you know? It's not THEIR song. They want to make sure they don't fuck it up. Have you ever even performed on a stage in front of people? Do you have any concept whatsoever of the preparation that goes into a performance?

I'm calling "bullshit" on this one. There is a right way and a wrong way to express your opinion. Let's assume the tribute *wasn't* perfect. It's one thing to say, "Well, _______ and _______ could have been done better." But when you call the entire tribute "disgraceful" and "disgusting" because of a few details that you didn't care for, you are not only ruining your own credibility in the scene (ironic, considering that your favorite CG song is "Burning Bridges"), but you're personally insulting everyone involved in the process, including Midnight's family, friends, and bandmates. (Not to speak for them, of course, but I know how I would feel in their shoes after reading comments like yours.) I'm not sure you truly understand how complicated a thing like this truly is, or how many people's livelihoods and love for their friend you are stepping on. Do you also go to funerals and complain to the deceased's family about the floral arrangements? Or complain that the eulogy began with an anecdote which you didn't feel had anything to do with the deceased?

I think that sums it up nicely.

Painted Skies: Danaë Saree and Danilo Herbert

This was magical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, thanks! :kickass:
I've always related to that tune, and I know it was one of Mid's faves as well...to perform it was truly special for me.
Danilo made it really stand out just by being himself...beautiful voice and great stage presence.

All in all, I thought the tribute in and of itself was fitting.. For me, having CG there for PPX gave me a little more closure that I didn't know I needed... It was hard to watch that video..

Giving honest opinions are fine, but delivery is everything...

How the hell do you know? It's not THEIR song. They want to make sure they don't fuck it up. Have you ever even performed on a stage in front of people? Do you have any concept whatsoever of the preparation that goes into a performance?

surprisingly enough, i am in a band that tours the country every year. so yes, i do know. www.myspace.com/killwhitneydead

watch

Music Video for our song "Put A Sock In It"

though we are not progressive or even prog i do know what goes into touring the country and performing. so learning lyrics is something i do know how to do and know how EASY it is when it's truly important.

I'm calling "bullshit" on this one. There is a right way and a wrong way to express your opinion. Let's assume the tribute *wasn't* perfect. It's one thing to say, "Well, _______ and _______ could have been done better." But when you call the entire tribute "disgraceful" and "disgusting" because of a few details that you didn't care for, you are not only ruining your own credibility in the scene (ironic, considering that your favorite CG song is "Burning Bridges"), but you're personally insulting everyone involved in the process, including Midnight's family, friends, and bandmates. (Not to speak for them, of course, but I know how I would feel in their shoes after reading comments like yours.) I'm not sure you truly understand how complicated a thing like this truly is, or how many people's livelihoods and love for their friend you are stepping on. Do you also go to funerals and complain to the deceased's family about the floral arrangements? Or complain that the eulogy began with an anecdote which you didn't feel had anything to do with the deceased?

you can call it all you want, it actually doesn't bother me. i have my opinions of the CG set and you have yours and everyone has theirs. we can go back and forth and neither of us will convince each other to change our minds.

i thought the band itself was good and was well practiced in a post before, but there were just things amiss, but to say that i am "insulting everyone involved in the process, including Midnight's family, friends, and bandmates" is kind of a stretch. i think they made so poor choices along the way, that's all.

what i have come to find posting here is that no one likes when i speak up and show an opinion not like the rest. i like progressive and prog metal just as much as everyone here but it seems if i don't get in line with everyone i am the bad guy. i don't say these things to be a jerk, nor am i trying to come off that way. i express my opinions on a board where being a fan of metal for 25 years (and attendee of PP for years) i believe i am allowed to do so. i am not speaking for everyone at the fest and to presume i would be is ludicrous. it's a message board how can i speak for everyone? that is silly.

also please NOTE: i don't believe i ever used the word "disgusting." unless i was talking about almost walking into my friend's pile of puke in the parking deck. now that was disgusting!! hahaha.

"seeking credibility" in a scene is a joke. i am who i am and i do what i do and if people don't like it then that is how it goes and to worry about it otherwise would be a waste of time. i was out doing things long before anyone here knew about me, my label or my band and i will be still doing it when everyone has erased me from their personal worlds because they don't care for my "differing" opinions. i won't cry about it. i haven't been running a record label the way i have for 10 years worried about credibility. i run it based on a true love of music.

so we can all agree to disagree and move on.

Being a part of this tribute was a moving, emotional and powerful experience for everyone involved.
It was beautiful, unpredictable, unique, chaotic, irreverent, raw, passionate, and quite unscripted...just the way that Midnight would have wanted it.
I can't honestly believe that anyone would intentionally risk ruining the whole tapestry for the sake of picking at a few stray threads.

OK, I have to admit that when the band's first 5 songs were from an album that Midnight did not perform on, I was more than a little out of sorts. But I really enjoyed the rest of the set and just let it go. I later re-read the original announcement, which does NOT indicate that CG would be playing only songs that Midnight performed on. Everyone (including me) made assumptions about the performance. And you know what happens when you "assume". :Smug: Here's the original announcement:

"Crimson Glory has been selected as the new headliner for Friday night. This will be the band’s tribute show to honor and commemorate the musical legacy left behind by their recently departed brethren, Midnight. Wade Black, along with several guest vocalists, will join the band on stage to perform classics from the band’s entire career."

By the way, on Saturday, I was waiting the required 15 minutes to cross the street in front of the venue, and Wade Black was chatting it up with some fans. Great guy - he couldn't have been more friendly and courteous.

By the way, on Saturday, I was waiting the required 15 minutes to cross the street in front of the venue, and Wade Black was chatting it up with some fans. Great guy - he couldn't have been more friendly and courteous.
Yeah, those crosswalks were pretty long...

I ran into Wade four times over the course of the weekend, even met him walking out of the elevator in my hotel, where he was staying. (How cool is that?) He's an unbelievably nice guy, each time greeting me with a smile and a handshake and talking to me like we'd known each other for years... it was amazing.

why would a band doing a "tribute" to a fallen one begin the set playing FIVE songs from an album he was never a part of? that in itself is disgraceful. i don't care what the excuse would be from the band, but it's inexcusable.

Probably because the entire show wasn't meant to be a tribute? I have absolutely no problem with this. Sure, they would've had to play the entire STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL CD to make up for the "lost time" of not performing any Wade Black-era stuff, and more folks would've bitched and moaned about that then the ASTRONOMICA stuff. I dunno... I expected, with Wade leading the charge, that was obligatory they'd perform stuff off that CD. I guess I'm missing the ill intent on the bands part for performing non-Midnight stuff?

Btw, for what it's worth, Wade Black was one of the nicest dudes at the festival (along with Ray Alder). A great guy, and very enthusiastic.

Awesome show i dig Midnights vocals, but i think Wade Blacks performence blew all the others away, its like he was born for crimson glory. I would like to see Wade Black come back no matter what band hes playing in.

Awesome show i dig Midnights vocals, but i think Wade Blacks performence blew all the others away, its like he was born for crimson glory. I would like to see Wade Black come back no matter what band hes playing in.

If Midnight is "the voice of Crimson Glory", then it would be hard to agrre that Wade Black was born for Crimson Glory. Wade does have the range, power, intensity which are all great metal vocal characteristics. Drenning said that Midnight was one in a million at the show. I think the reason is not only Midnight had incredible range power and intensity but also desperation, vulnurability, innocence. And to gel these traits is really like a one in a million thing.

I didn't know any Crimson Glory tunes, except for a couple I'd seen on YouTube and/or their MySpace. All I can say is that I really enjoyed it and the effort it took to do it, and am now a fan. Maybe not so much of the new stuff, but definitely the older stuff.

My favorite set of the fest, and maybe even of all time. Once they started busting out the Transcendence material, I completely lost my marbles! :kickass:

Kelly Carpenter and Chris Salinas sounded great I thought. Really most of them sounded good. Who was the fellow on the side of the stage during the regular Crimson Glory set? He was hitting some high stuff!

I think the reason is not only Midnight had incredible range power and intensity but also desperation, vulnurability, innocence. And to gel these traits is really like a one in a million thing.

Right on the money, Arnavut.
Midnight was someone who could take the most mediocre word in the English language, and then speak it in a way that made you FEEL it.
The amount of emotion he put into his songs both with CG and on his own are, in my opinion, nearly unparalleled.
In fact, I can't think of another metal vocalist who did it as well as Mid.
Having sang his songs at rehearsal and learning all of his nuances and inflections, it's absolutely solidified what I already knew: Midnight was a one in a million vocalist, lyricist, and human being.

That doesn't take anything away from Wade, however, and I can say very firmly that I have heard more than one person attempt to sing the Astronomica material (including myself at rehearsals where Wade wasn't present) and dude...no one can pull that shit off quite like Wade Black. :kickass:

I really enjoyed seeing Crimson Glory perform after all this time. Yeah, there were a lot of singers. I have seen the girl on stage post a lot on the forums. Is she a member of the band? She sounded pretty good, but it really doesn't fit what I would consider Crimson Glory. Don't get me wrong, I think some chicks can pull of some metal, but it just didn't seem right to have her there the whole time. Sorry, just trying to give an honest opinion. Either way, it seems a bit out of taste if she is in the band to be commenting like she does. Wade definitely rocks, but this music seems a little on the "light" side for his style, you know with all the screams. Curious if this show was only because of the passing of the singer, or were they to play anyway. Are they're anymore shows in the future.