Crimson Glory and Guests

Curious if this show was only because of the passing of the singer, or were they to play anyway. Are they're anymore shows in the future.

I think it was a combination of two things.

The first was that Glenn's visa for Andre Matos (originally scheduled Friday night headliner) was denied, along with several other bands. Glenn then found replacement bands to fill in the gaps (Shane also had to replace a band for the showcase).

Just about that time, Midnight passed away. So it was fitting for a Crimson Glory tribute to Midnight. (Midnight had played at last year's Mid-Week Mayhem).

Even though I'm not a fan of Crimson Glory, I found the tribute to be very well done and in good taste. An excellent selection of songs and guest singers. :headbang::kickass::worship:

I have deleted several posts in this thread. While constructive criticism & even negative opinion is fine, I will not tolerate being a general douchebag (guy or gal).

I really enjoyed seeing Crimson Glory perform after all this time. Yeah, there were a lot of singers. I have seen the girl on stage post a lot on the forums. Is she a member of the band?

She is married to Jon Drenning, the CM guitarist and guy talking on the mic at points to thank everyone.

Painted Skies is my favorite CG song and it was wonderfully done by Danae and Danillo, the best duet of the show to boot. Some songs the duet idea worked well on, some others I think shoulda been done by just one singer, but overall, very moving, very appropos. As for the band doing Astronomica first, I had my doubts but Wade really kicked ass and the songs translated well live (I've never seen the band before although been familiar with them since the beginning) and if they didn't do these songs at the start it would've really been awkward to do them in the middle or god forbid the end. I thought the way of trying to treat it as two separate sets worked the best and I'm glad the band did it this way. A well-done job especially considering much of it was done last minute, thanks CG!

Azrael

During the CG set, I thought I recognized a tune that I remembered from the old days of Blaze radio, but I always thought it was called "Angel of Mercy" instead. What a great song. I had recorded it off the radio cuz it was such a cool tune but I had no idea it was CG. Gotta get that one...

I have to agree with Prog Muse that Midnight had an amazing way of emoting what he was singing and with great range. I for one was not a fan of Danillo singing Painted Skies with her. It would have been so much bette without him. He just did not seem to have the proper range and/or ability. This is JUST my opinion, as others have felt otherwise. I am probably biased having been a fan since 1986.

It was an amazing set and a great tribute to Midnight. My second favorite to Fates. A side note, Wade seems to have a very strange stage presence. I thought the same when he played with Leatherwolf. It doesn't take away from his ability just odd mannerisms.

I'm glad CG seemed to pick up some new fans who were unfamiliar with this great band. Looking forward to new music, hopefully soon.

Probably because the entire show wasn't meant to be a tribute? I have absolutely no problem with this. Sure, they would've had to play the entire STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL CD to make up for the "lost time" of not performing any Wade Black-era stuff, and more folks would've bitched and moaned about that then the ASTRONOMICA stuff. I dunno... I expected, with Wade leading the charge, that was obligatory they'd perform stuff off that CD. I guess I'm missing the ill intent on the bands part for performing non-Midnight stuff?

Btw, for what it's worth, Wade Black was one of the nicest dudes at the festival (along with Ray Alder). A great guy, and very enthusiastic.

i wouldn't have bitched and moaned at S&B material. sure when it was released it threw us all a curve ball but over the years i have come to love that album for what it was and personally would have jammed out to that stuff. "Starchamber" and "S&B" would have fit into the evenings set perfectly. i thought someone should have sang "Far Away" as a tribute to Midnight it would have been fitting. i thought Zak Stevens was going to do it as it would have worked with his Eagles cover a few years ago. but hey, what do i know, right?

Astronomica despite being material written during the Midnight/Drenning years was terrible album. Drum machines, overall crap tones left me not ever wanting to listen to that album again. it was a let down, sorry.

with them all together again i am curious as to what their future holds.

i wouldn't have bitched and moaned at S&B material. sure when it was released it threw us all a curve ball but over the years i have come to love that album for what it was and personally would have jammed out to that stuff. "Starchamber" and "S&B" would have fit into the evenings set perfectly. i thought someone should have sang "Far Away" as a tribute to Midnight it would have been fitting. i thought Zak Stevens was going to do it as it would have worked with his Eagles cover a few years ago. but hey, what do i know, right?

Astronomica despite being material written during the Midnight/Drenning years was terrible album. Drum machines, overall crap tones left me not ever wanting to listen to that album again. it was a let down, sorry.

with them all together again i am curious as to what their future holds.

I'll go ahead and completely invalidate your opinion and say that Astronomica is awesome (which I firmly believe). The moment that you realize that it's YOUR opinion, and not necessarily shared by everyone else, maybe then you will figure out why the performed songs from that album. Not trying to be a dick, just realistic.

I don't know the song Painted Skies, and I don't know who Danäe is other than from this forum, but that song was great! I'm a big MindFlow fan and love Danilo's voice, so I'm sure that makes me a bit biased. Okay that's entirely the reason I loved that song. Plus I think it's great when a vocalist from a band that isn't anything like CG can get up there and make the song sound like his own. That goes for all the singers! I only watched three songs but could hear the rest from the lobby. I think they did a tremendous job despite the little time to practice.

Okay, fair enough... I'd be very stupid to refuse Raisinettes from a beautiful lady... :)

Anyways, I'd like to offer my $0.03 on this...

I think we mostly can be in agreement that "Transcendence" is a landmark album by any standards... much like "Images & Words" is for Dream Theater. I & W has a sustained brilliance about it that DT has yet to match, although with "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" they came pretty close. Same with CG.

And "Astronomica" is what it is. Despite the drum machine and the production/mixing, it's a fairly solid album in my view... esp. the title track.

I've said my piece... time to take cover once more. :lol

ok, now i will put it out there that i think Crimson Glory is better than Transcendence. again, back to drum tones. Astronomica for me was really bad since it was a machine, but Transcendence was pretty bad too. i love the songs on both, but i really think the production value had more impact on Crimson Glory. call me crazy, but Crimson Glory is my favorite album. i know i know, my friends say i am insane too, but hey crazy i shall remain.

:)

Transcendence has programed drums as well. The drummer broke his back shortly before the recording of the album. All the drum sounds are samples of his actual kit, but he was unable to play on the album. Some of the hi hat he recorded, the rest was all programmed into a synclavier.

Thread cleaned up as much as I could for now.

Let's please remember that everyone's tastes differ, and there's a way to express opinion, and there's a way to express opinion... No follow-up replies to the argument please, keep on topic.

I don't know the song Painted Skies, and I don't know who Danäe is other than from this forum, but that song was great! I'm a big MindFlow fan and love Danilo's voice, so I'm sure that makes me a bit biased.
+1
Although I'm biased towards Danäe (instead of Danilo). After meeting her at PP a few years ago and hearing a few tracks from her former band online (the band name escapes me at the moment) I fell in love with her voice and was hoping I'd someday get to see her perform live. When she got announced with the other guest vocalist for this year's CG performance I was so excited for her (and for me finally getting my wish).

Just wanted whoever on here said wives/girlfriends have no place on stage (looks like that was one of the many deleted statements on this thread) to know that she earned her cred as a singer (at least in my book) long before she was dating or married to one of the guys in Crimson Glory. I know some people find it hard to believe that a woman can get anywhere in the metal scene based on talent (and not just on looks - I think Danäe has both), but it does happen and I believe that was certainly the case here.

As someone who knew very little Crimson Glory before the show and watched the entire set, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole performance. The amount of duets, people using lyric sheets, and strays from people's expectations did not bother me in the slightest. For me, it was all about people who respected both Midnight and Crimson Glory wanting to pay tribute to him and help the band expose their material (of all eras) to an audience that was made up of those who both respected their fallen singer and those who had never seen the band preform live. I think they did just that and did it beautifully! :headbang:
Okay, fair enough... I'd be very stupid to refuse Raisinettes from a beautiful lady... :)
:oops:
I've said my piece... time to take cover once more. :lol
Ditto.

Just wanted whoever on here said wives/girlfriends have no place on stage (looks like that was one of the many deleted statements on this thread)

Did someone actually say that? Moron, moron, moron, moron. o_O

she earned her cred as a singer (at least in my book) long before she was dating or married to one of the guys in Crimson Glory. I know some people find it hard to believe that a woman can get anywhere in the metal scene based on talent (and not just on looks - I think Danäe has both), but it does happen and I believe that was certainly the case here.

This x 9999999. :headbang: Why that girl does not have a band is beyond me.

Transcendence has programed drums as well. The drummer broke his back shortly before the recording of the album. All the drum sounds are samples of his actual kit, but he was unable to play on the album. Some of the hi hat he recorded, the rest was all programmed into a synclavier.

did not know that he broke his back, but i could tell stuff was edited/sampled. though its not as bad as some of the hair metal albums of the time actually using those digi-drums. hahaha.

but it was like the difference between When Dream & Day Unite vs Images & Words drum tones. one was more earthy.

The Crimson Glory Set was easily the highlight of this year's festival for me. I love all of the band's albums, so I was waiting with anticipation in between each and every song. I think that the singers who participated in the set did a fantastic job (even the guy from Sabaton!), and the band themselves were also great.

Someone had posted very early into this thread that they couldn't stand all of the high notes. Apparently that person never listened to the band! Those first two albums are chock full of them! None of the singers participating in the set strayed far from Midnight's recorded performances. I think it only looked like the singers were trying to one-up each other because they were performing the songs as duets.

On a final note, I was extremely happy to see some Astronomica material performed by the band. Wade and Dave tore it up! In fact, I think Wade's performance that night went leaps and bounds over his performance with Leatherwolf from a few years back.

As a fan of the band who was too young to see them back in the day, I was more than pleased. I can't wait to see this on DVD!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Is it safe to come out now??? Where's the Skittles? :lol:

but it was like the difference between When Dream & Day Unite vs Images & Words drum tones. one was more earthy.
That would be the producer, David Prater's fault... he's the one responsible for triggering the snare and kick drums and Portnoy went along with it. To this day, he hates the drum sound of that album.

Back to topic, I thought I read that the drums on Transcendence were mixed with the synclavier, not actually "replaced" by them.